The official diet and nutrition thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    They're regretting not rubbing the essential oils in a clockwise motion to activate the DNA. Instead they were stubborn and stuck with a counter-clockwise motion even though their friends and neighbors pressured them and ridiculed them for putting the old-fashioned superstition above the health of their child.

Comment

Alright - what's the current best info on diet soda versus real sugar soda versus corn syrup soda?

I get it - none of them are good for you. I'm more interested in the hierarchy of which is least bad.

Seems like real sugar is better for you than corn syrup. OK - I suppose that makes sense.

But I hear all kinds of things about how the chemicals in artificial sweeteners are bad and/or don't really make a difference due to them confusing your body and that real sugar actually ends up better for you than the artificial stuff in the long run.

So - what's the scoop?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        Alright - what's the current best info on diet soda versus real sugar soda versus corn syrup soda?

I get it - none of them are good for you. I'm more interested in the hierarchy of which is least bad.

Seems like real sugar is better for you than corn syrup. OK - I suppose that makes sense.

But I hear all kinds of things about how the chemicals in artificial sweeteners are bad and/or don't really make a difference due to them confusing your body and that real sugar actually ends up better for you than the artificial stuff in the long run.

So - what's the scoop?
        Don't think this really answers your question, but here's what Jason Fung wrote about diet sodas on his blog:

Rather than reducing risk of cardiovascular disease, diet sodas may actually increase the risk. But why? Reducing sugar intake should be a laudable goal. Since sweeteners contain no calories or sugar, this should be beneficial. Sweeteners also do not seem to raise insulin levels.

Let me put it this way. Reducing dietary sugars is certainly good. But it doesn’t mean that replacing sugar with completely artificial, manmade chemicals of dubious safety is a good idea. I mean, pesticides and herbicides are also considered safe for human consumption. That doesn’t mean we should be going out of our way to eat more of them. (Anti-organic foods? Extra pesticides for worm free apples!)

There are simply too many things that can go wrong with the ingestion of chemicals such as aspartame, sucralose, or acesulfam-K. These are not foods. There is nothing food like about them. They are synthesized in a chemical vat and sold to you because they happen to be sweet and not kill you in the amounts used in foods. Glue won’t kill you either. That doesn’t mean we should be eating it.

Imagine if they advertised “Glue – tastes good and it won’t kill you, so you should eat more!” (at least one kid in every classroom seems to love the glue stick a little too much)

Imagine if they advertised “Aspartame – tastes good and it won’t kill you, so you should eat more!”

The bottom line is that these chemicals do not help weight loss. They may actually cause weight gain. These artificial chemicals may cause cravings that may induce over-eating of sweet foods. By continually eating sweet foods, even if they have no calories, may lead us to crave other sweet foods that may contain sugar or starches.

The strongest proof of the failure of artificial sweeteners comes from 2 recently completed randomized trials. In “A Randomized Trial of Sugar-Sweetened Beverages and Adolescent Body Weight” 224 overweight adolescents were divided by random into two groups. One group was given a year’s worth of water and diet drinks to consume.

At the end of 2 years, it is clear that the diet soda (experimental) group was consuming less sugar than the regular (control) group. That’s good. However, if you look at the weight gain, there is no significant difference between the two groups.
        https://idmprogram.com/the-diet-soda...-of-obesity-5/
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          Don't think this really answers your question, but here's what Jason Fung wrote about diet sodas on his blog:

i think he's saying diet sodas suck. i will confirm he's right.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post

So - what's the scoop?
            http://www.insuliniq.com/3-not-so-sw...al-sweeteners/

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              i think he's saying diet sodas suck. i will confirm he's right.
              Hmmm. My research shows otherwise.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Hmmm. My research shows otherwise.
                back to the drawing board for you, falafel!
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post

I thought the diet soda/artificial sweetener chapter was the weakest part of his book. He switched from using hard evidence from multiple studies to silly touchy-feely stuff about vats of chemicals and industrial food production. At one point he mockingly asked, "Do you know any skinny people who drink diet sodas?" Uh yeah. I know a lot of them.

Sugar sodas are deadly and one of the worst foods you can eat. Corn syrup is worse, but any kind of sugar soda is bad. Diet sodas aren't a health food, but hard evidence that they are unhealthy is difficult to find. There is a lot of nonsense out there.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I was off soda for a while. But I went back. And I like it. A lot, dammit.

I prefer the full sugar stuff. But they don't serve that in fountain drinks - and mostly that's what I get. I also don't drink it all the time - just 2-3 times a week at most, usually. But I'm willing to mix in the non-food sweetener that won't kill you at the amounts currently used in drinks drinks if that helps me be more healthy than just drinking whatever soda comes from the dispenser.

Comment

While I'm not a fan of soda (diet or otherwise), it's possible to stay healthy drinking it:

https://theoutline.com/post/842/diet...=1&zi=zeome4s5

It goes without saying (but I’m saying it): You should mainly be drinking water. But Diet Coke and all the other artificially sweetened beverages out there are not going to make you fat, give you cancer, or kill your tastebuds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        I thought the diet soda/artificial sweetener chapter was the weakest part of his book. He switched from using hard evidence from multiple studies to silly touchy-feely stuff about vats of chemicals and industrial food production. At one point he mockingly asked, "Do you know any skinny people who drink diet sodas?" Uh yeah. I know a lot of them.

Sugar sodas are deadly and one of the worst foods you can eat. Corn syrup is worse, but any kind of sugar soda is bad. Diet sodas aren't a health food, but hard evidence that they are unhealthy is difficult to find. There is a lot of nonsense out there.
                        And a lot of the research is contradictory. For every study referenced showing artificial sweeteners, like aspartame for example, cause an insulin spike, there are thoroughly vetted studies showing that it causes none. I keep hoping for the latter because I can't quit Coke Zero and stevia tastes gross to me.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          And a lot of the research is contradictory. For every study referenced showing artificial sweeteners, like aspartame for example, cause an insulin spike, there are thoroughly vetted studies showing that it causes none. I keep hoping for the latter because I can't quit Coke Zero and stevia tastes gross to me.
                          I've been trying to find quality research on diet drinks and all I've ever been able to find is weak arguments often with very questionable logic. I like Diet Coke and maybe average about one a day, but not quite. I'm not getting the cravings for sugar that the "studies" say I should. I'm not real tolerant of sugar for some reason, even though blood tests show no issues at all in that area. I'm not going to feel good after consuming a 12 oz soft drink with sugar, but have no issues at all with diet drinks.

So I'm going to continue to have diet drinks when I feel like it and I don't expect them to effect my health one way or the other.

I would still like to see a study containing scientific evidence, though, without the made-up stuff that all of the ones I've read so far seem to add in.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                            I've been trying to find quality research on diet drinks and all I've ever been able to find is weak arguments often with very questionable logic. I like Diet Coke and maybe average about one a day, but not quite. I'm not getting the cravings for sugar that the "studies" say I should. I'm not real tolerant of sugar for some reason, even though blood tests show no issues at all in that area. I'm not going to feel good after consuming a 12 oz soft drink with sugar, but have no issues at all with diet drinks.

So I'm going to continue to have diet drinks when I feel like it and I don't expect them to effect my health one way or the other.

I would still like to see a study containing scientific evidence, though, without the made-up stuff that all of the ones I've read so far seem to add in.
                            The article I posted has references.

The overall conclusion that artificial sweeteners increase the risk of insulin resistance is supported; people who drink an artificially sweetened (diet) soda daily have a 36% greater chance of developing the metabolic syndrome (remember that it used to be called “insulin resistance syndrome”) and a whopping 67% increased risk of type 2 diabetes [1]. How can this be when diet soda has no calories? Well, there’s no clear answer; just a few theories.

[1] references: 1. Nettleton JA, Lutsey PL, Wang Y, Lima JA, Michos ED, Jacobs DR, Jr.: Diet soda intake and risk of incident metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Diabetes Care 2009, 32:688-694.

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                              The article I posted has references.

I followed the links in the citations and I think he is grossly overstating the evidence.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I followed the links in the citations and I think he is grossly overstating the evidence.
                                Good enough for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X