The official diet and nutrition thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
    Sitting 258 right now and needing to get to 186 by next February.
    Wow, 72 pounds. And I'm struggling to get the last three off to get to my goal - which is real close to your final goal.

I've had to change my eating habits just to get down 12 pounds so far. I've kept track of what I've eaten for every meal since I started on February 4th and noted my weight every morning. I'm only a semi-serious dieter, but I have a salad for lunch just about every day, eat a lot fewer carbohydrates, avoid taking second helpings and mostly skip deserts. But I still feel the need for some sort of snack every day about 4:00 in the afternoon. I'm about ready to do something more drastic to finally hit my weight goal. But I need to keep it off for at least two weeks before I'll even consider easing up. For me, exercise has made less of a difference than diet, but I'm back doing the YMCA stuff again and that might make the difference on those last three pounds.

Here's a chart showing my progress for the first month or so with notes about how I felt about it: https://i.imgur.com/E8FKmou.jpg Note the points of discouragement and encouragement. Note also that it varies by two to three pounds naturally, so I don't take it personally when I'm up by two one day.

I'll be rooting for you. Hang in there and share your feelings about your progress.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement. Do y'all suggest trying to find a slot now or waiting until I am closer to qualifying?
      I would wait until I was closer to actually apply, but it never hurts to start talking to people, networking, etc. early on.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
        Wow, 72 pounds. And I'm struggling to get the last three off to get to my goal - which is real close to your final goal.

I've had to change my eating habits just to get down 12 pounds so far. I've kept track of what I've eaten for every meal since I started on February 4th and noted my weight every morning. I'm only a semi-serious dieter, but I have a salad for lunch just about every day, eat a lot fewer carbohydrates, avoid taking second helpings and mostly skip deserts. But I still feel the need for some sort of snack every day about 4:00 in the afternoon. I'm about ready to do something more drastic to finally hit my weight goal. But I need to keep it off for at least two weeks before I'll even consider easing up. For me, exercise has made less of a difference than diet, but I'm back doing the YMCA stuff again and that might make the difference on those last three pounds.

Here's a chart showing my progress for the first month or so with notes about how I felt about it: https://i.imgur.com/E8FKmou.jpg Note the points of discouragement and encouragement. Note also that it varies by two to three pounds naturally, so I don't take it personally when I'm up by two one day.

I'll be rooting for you. Hang in there and share your feelings about your progress.
        I was 202 lbs at the beginning of March. I rarely weigh myself and that was a shock. The problem I have with dieting is I go extreme and then just go down in flames. But something was different this time. I cut out about 800 calories a day and do 24 hour fasts twice a week. I lost 17 lbs after a month. But I maintained at 185 for 3 weeks because I looked terrible. Now I'm back at it. I'll take a break for a few months once I hit 175. I think the healthiest weight for me is somewhere around 165. But I have been miserable throughout the whole process.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
          But I have been miserable throughout the whole process.
          My way hasn't been "miserable", so I'm thankful for that. But the weight does not come off quickly. And as I've already mentioned, it looks like some of the changes to my diet will have to continue for the rest of my life.

It seems that exercise and diet changes need to be permanent for me.

Comment

Bo got me thinking pretty seriously about getting back into a uniform. Sitting 258 right now and needing to get to 186 by next February. I have run a couple calculators and I will be right up against it to get 20 good years by age 60, but it'll give me something to shoot for. I will check in every week or so to give myself some accountability. Let's see if I can get it done.
            You go! You can do it.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Well, I appreciate all the kind words of encouragement, but in my further research into getting back in I have read that people like me and Wilford Brimley can't get into the Army. So much for that.

1r0hco.jpg
              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Well, I appreciate all the kind words of encouragement, but in my further research into getting back in I have read that people like me and Wilford Brimley can't get into the Army. So much for that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10269[/ATTACH]
                That's too bad. Even if the Army wont have you, I've read that it can be reversed with diet and exercise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                  That's too bad. Even if the Army wont have you, I've read that it can be reversed with diet and exercise.
                  Yip. My A1C is back down to where my doctor isn't concerned. If I can keep it dropping, I'll no longer even be in the prediabetes range.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• This morning I'm down 20. I'm thinking 10-21 more to go, but that all depends on how much muscle mass I gain in the meantime.

I'm still mainly reducing caloric intake, but not as strictly as at first. I've also upped the cardio now that my Achilles tendons are getting past all the reconstructive nonsense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                      This morning I'm down 20. I'm thinking 10-21 more to go, but that all depends on how much muscle mass I gain in the meantime.

I'm still mainly reducing caloric intake, but not as strictly as at first. I've also upped the cardio now that my Achilles tendons are getting past all the reconstructive nonsense.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Down 10 since the last time I stepped on a scale (which was pre-quarantine...I'm pretty sure I packed on five more from March to June), so potentially down 15.

My wife and I are committed to following the Clean Simple Eats program. Some of their stuff is better than others, but a lot of it is actually pretty tasty. My sugar cravings are finally gone, which is nice. We've only been doing it ten days, but the change in nutrition plus 90 minutes of pickleball 3x per week is starting to pay off.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          Down 10 since the last time I stepped on a scale (which was pre-quarantine...I'm pretty sure I packed on five more from March to June), so potentially down 15.

My wife and I are committed to following the Clean Simple Eats program. Some of their stuff is better than others, but a lot of it is actually pretty tasty. My sugar cravings are finally gone, which is nice. We've only been doing it ten days, but the change in nutrition plus 90 minutes of pickleball 3x per week is starting to pay off.
                          Atta boy! Here's to doubling down to another 10/15.

It was a force of will to stay away from sugar when I started this. After a few weeks, I started treating myself once per week. I feel like I'm in a good place.

Comment

• I’m up to 260lbs after getting down to 220 a few years back while doing keto. I recently have been seeing an endocrinologist and he has suggested a whole food plant based diet. He is very anti keto. I have looked at the info he gave me and have tried some of the recipes but I don’t think I can do it. I love veggies and beans and greens, but I just don’t think I can go without meat. I need to figure something out though. 260 is the most I have weighed.
                            "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                              I’m up to 260lbs after getting down to 220 a few years back while doing keto. I recently have been seeing an endocrinologist and he has suggested a whole food plant based diet. He is very anti keto. I have looked at the info he gave me and have tried some of the recipes but I don’t think I can do it. I love veggies and beans and greens, but I just don’t think I can go without meat. I need to figure something out though. 260 is the most I have weighed.
                              As long as you only eat animals that eat whole foods, then you're good to go.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                                I’m up to 260lbs after getting down to 220 a few years back while doing keto. I recently have been seeing an endocrinologist and he has suggested a whole food plant based diet. He is very anti keto. I have looked at the info he gave me and have tried some of the recipes but I don’t think I can do it. I love veggies and beans and greens, but I just don’t think I can go without meat. I need to figure something out though. 260 is the most I have weighed.
                                Because of gout, I’ve gone periods of time with very little meat. Something that helped me is to tell myself I’m doing a plant based diet. That way I felt I was eating far more vegetables and legumes, but didn’t feel like I was blowing up the whole thing with some meat every couple of days.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X