The official diet and nutrition thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
    According to the Amazon review it doesn't. (great source, I know)
    No more calls please, we have a winner.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• cola.jpg
      One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
      SU

Comment

• So I've tried this 16/8 thing for a week now delaying my breakfast until lunchtime. My weight hasn't changed, I still have a stiff back from arthritis, and my allergies are still bothering me. What gives?

How long has it taken for you guys who are doing this to see a change in weight? The only real difference I'm seeing so far is being a little hungrier in the morning.

I don't have a lot to lose but am probably 10-15 pounds overweight.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
          So I've tried this 16/8 thing for a week now delaying my breakfast until lunchtime. My weight hasn't changed, I still have a stiff back from arthritis, and my allergies are still bothering me. What gives?

How long has it taken for you guys who are doing this to see a change in weight? The only real difference I'm seeing so far is being a little hungrier in the morning.

I don't have a lot to lose but am probably 10-15 pounds overweight.
          I'm in the same boat. Not quite a week (I think I'm on day 5?). I figure I'll give it 2 full weeks before I start complaining.

I do think I've noticed some positive changes though. My tired (non-arthritic) back is a little less sore and a little less tired in the mornings. My clothes seem to fit just a little bit better (maybe because my stomach isn't full when I'm getting dressed?).
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I'm in the same boat. Not quite a week (I think I'm on day 5?). I figure I'll give it 2 full weeks before I start complaining.

I do think I've noticed some positive changes though. My tired (non-arthritic) back is a little less sore and a little less tired in the mornings. My clothes seem to fit just a little bit better (maybe because my stomach isn't full when I'm getting dressed?).
            I'm giving it more time too. Usually with diet or exercise you see the most dramatic change at the start and benefits decrease from there. That's why I'm wondering what other people's experience on this diet have been.

It really has been an easy diet to follow. The hardest part is in the evening when snacks are left out in the kitchen and I forget I'm fasting. I've caught myself so far though.

Comment

• Took me 3-4 weeks to acclimate to IF - to the point where it seemed "easy". I think it is important to view IF as one part of a larger strategy. If you end up eating the same types of foods and in the same total amounts during that 8-hr period, you likely won't see much of a benefit. Some key parts of my approach:

1. IF
              2. No snacking between meals.
              3. Cut way back on processed foods, esp sugar, corn syrup, and white flour.
              4. Low carb, high fiber, high protein, moderate fat diet. I am not a zero carb nazi, but I do try to limit potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, etc.
              5. Eat lots of vegetables.

I do not calorie count nor do I track macros. I am rarely hungry between meals.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Took me 3-4 weeks to acclimate to IF - to the point where it seemed "easy". I think it is important to view IF as one part of a larger strategy. If you end up eating the same types of foods and in the same total amounts during that 8-hr period, you likely won't see much of a benefit. Some key parts of my approach:

1. IF
                4. Low carb, high fiber, high protein, moderate fat diet. I am not a zero carb nazi, but I do try to limit potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, etc.

Thanks JL. 3-4 weeks seems like a long time. Although I think it seems particularly long right now because I'm pretty hungry. Hungriest I've been since starting.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

But this would certainly be another step that someone could do to improve results.

Comment

Took me 3-4 weeks to acclimate to IF - to the point where it seemed "easy". I think it is important to view IF as one part of a larger strategy. If you end up eating the same types of foods and in the same total amounts during that 8-hr period, you likely won't see much of a benefit. Some key parts of my approach:

1. IF

So I’ve been doing this for about a month and agree it takes about 4 weeks to get used to it. I agree with 1-5. I finally accepted that I can’t eat and snack throughout the day. It seems like every nurses station has a bowl of candy or some baked goods and partaking throughout the day ruins any other good eating habits. I have been using a calorie counter just to see what I was consuming. I think it helps. I have also been more consistent with using my Peloton.

Over the last several years my weight had gradually climbed to 250. Being 6’6” it didn’t seem that noticeable. Over the last month I’ve dropped to 224 and feel much better. My son spent 6 weeks with weight training and conditioning prior to fall camp starting. He and I passed each other in weight as he came home at 245.
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                      So I’ve been doing this for about a month and agree it takes about 4 weeks to get used to it. I agree with 1-5. I finally accepted that I can’t eat and snack throughout the day. It seems like every nurses station has a bowl of candy or some baked goods and partaking throughout the day ruins any other good eating habits. I have been using a calorie counter just to see what I was consuming. I think it helps. I have also been more consistent with using my Peloton.

Over the last several years my weight had gradually climbed to 250. Being 6’6” it didn’t seem that noticeable. Over the last month I’ve dropped to 224 and feel much better. My son spent 6 weeks with weight training and conditioning prior to fall camp starting. He and I passed each other in weight as he came home at 245.
                      Reminds me of the universal advice to med students and residents of “Eat whenever you can, pee whenever you can, sleep whenever you can because you never know when the next chance will be”. Turns out the eating part at least is bad advice.

Seems like the best thing for me is skipping dinner or having a very light dinner a few times per week. I’m never very hungry in the morning and often too busy to eat for lunch. Then I can put away 3000 calories at dinner which is clearly dumb. JL is definitely correct that 16:8 is only one component of a plan. I can gain weight eating only during like a 4 hour window each day when I go crazy during that 4 hours.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                        The “healthiest” thing I have come across that is WoW compliant and has no (almost no?) artificial sweeteners are the Nuun Energy tabs. https://www.nuunlife.com/products

Edit: if you search “caffeine” you can see the stuff that is caffeinated. We get the sport and vitamin tabs with caffeine.
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Thanks. I will look into those.

I had a zipfizz this morning on my first day of 16/8 IF. More because I had one available than because I thought it was a "compliant". Looking at the ingredients, it has 20 calories and uses sucralose and xylitol as sweeteners. I wonder if those two will ruin it as an IF drink.
                        So after 2 weeks, I'm down exactly 1 pound. I was down 2, but then bounced back up? I've been pretty good about not snacking between meals and not eating a lot of processed foods (at least, I think I have). So now I'm thinking its the ZipFizz! What if all this time I haven't been fasting at all! Its so hard to tell whether something is causing an insulin response.

I bought some Nuun tablets yesterday and tried one for the first time this morning. Its okay, not as tasty as ZipFizz. But maybe I'll get used to it. I will give these a try for the next 2 weeks and see if it makes any difference.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• So I’ve been thinking about this Fung book the last few weeks:

1. This idea that you have to “fuel up” for the day with a big breakfast is so common and I agree with Fung clearly false. There is a kid on my son’s soccer team who is obese. His Dad was recounting to me last week that the son didn’t want to eat before his soccer game on Saturday morning but that the Dad forced him to eat something so he would have enough energy to play soccer. That’s the best paradigm shift that people could make when they read this. I’ve been doing like 20 hours fasting and 4 hours a day eating and feel great with that as long as I get enough fluid.

2. Artificial sweeteners are obviously not good for people in excess (they probably make people crave real sugar?) but I’m not buying his thing about them raising insulin in any significant way. If you inject somebody with insulin without glucose then they become hypoglycemic. Nobody ever talks about a person becoming hypoglycemic from too much diet soda or too much artificial sweetener in tea or coffee.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                            So I’ve been thinking about this Fung book the last few weeks:

2. Artificial sweeteners are obviously not good for people in excess (they probably make people crave real sugar?) but I’m not buying his thing about them raising insulin in any significant way. If you inject somebody with insulin without glucose then they become hypoglycemic. Nobody ever talks about a person becoming hypoglycemic from too much diet soda or too much artificial sweetener in tea or coffee.
                            Ive not read the Fung book. But I’ve listened to several Podcasts where “nutritionist to the stars” Vinny Tortorich has discussed this. Tortorich says it’s not so much about the artificial sweeteners adding calories into your diet but rather that your liver responds the same to them as it does to real sugar, ie a glycogen dump that causes carbs to be stored instead of burned. At least I think that’s what he says.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              Ive not read the Fung book. But I’ve listened to several Podcasts where “nutritionist to the stars” Vinny Tortorich has discussed this. Tortorich says it’s not so much about the artificial sweeteners adding calories into your diet but rather that your liver responds the same to them as it does to real sugar, ie a glycogen dump that causes carbs to be stored instead of burned. At least I think that’s what he says.
                              That's basically the hypothesis of Fung's book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Teenager 'blind' from living off crisps and chips

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49551337

"Eye doctors in Bristol cared for the young man after his vision had deteriorated to the point of blindness.Since leaving primary school, the teen had been eating only French fries, Pringles and white bread, as well as an occasional slice of ham or a sausage.
                                Tests revealed he had severe vitamin deficiencies and malnutrition damage."

Comment

Working...
                                X