No announcement yet.

The official diet and nutrition thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• His eye sight may be gone, but I'll bet he still has True Love.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      So I’ve been thinking about this Fung book the last few weeks:

1. This idea that you have to “fuel up” for the day with a big breakfast is so common and I agree with Fung clearly false. There is a kid on my son’s soccer team who is obese. His Dad was recounting to me last week that the son didn’t want to eat before his soccer game on Saturday morning but that the Dad forced him to eat something so he would have enough energy to play soccer. That’s the best paradigm shift that people could make when they read this. I’ve been doing like 20 hours fasting and 4 hours a day eating and feel great with that as long as I get enough fluid.
      Agreed. That "most important meal of the day" stuff is a load of crap.

The book also made me realize how much we snack these days, and how damaging that is - especially for kids. Just go to any soccer or t-ball game and watch how much junk we pass out to kids after a game. It is a wonder that more kids aren't obese or diabetic.

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      2. Artificial sweeteners are obviously not good for people in excess (they probably make people crave real sugar?) but I’m not buying his thing about them raising insulin in any significant way. If you inject somebody with insulin without glucose then they become hypoglycemic. Nobody ever talks about a person becoming hypoglycemic from too much diet soda or too much artificial sweetener in tea or coffee.
      My beef with that chapter is that it seemed to have the least supporting evidence, compared to other chapters. Nevertheless I have cut way back on my diet soda consumption.

BTW, my doctor son said that there is a new drug that changes insulin sensitivity (or blunts the impact of insulin?). He prescribes it to some of his diabetes patients and they immediately lose 12-15 lbs.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Sorry soda drinkers (diet and otherwise), you're going to die first!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...?noredirect=on

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
          Sorry soda drinkers (diet and otherwise), you're going to die first!

Meh.

Murphy said that he cannot rule out the possibility that the artificially sweetened positive associations were influenced by unhealthy individuals switching to artificially sweetened soft drinks.

“We recognize that a possible explanation for the positive associations found for artificially sweetened soft drinks is that participants who were already at greater health risk (those who were overweight or obese; those with prediabetes) may have switched to artificially sweetened soft drinks to manage their calorie and sugar intake,” he said in an email.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Sorry soda drinkers (diet and otherwise), you're going to die first - but the good news is - you're going to enjoy your life way more than non-drinkers.

FIFY - Life was meant to be lived - not dragged out.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• The parameters of the study seem a little loose.

Participants who drank two or more glasses of soft drinks per day had a higher risk of mortality than those who consumed less than one glass per month.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

BTW, my doctor son said that there is a new drug that changes insulin sensitivity (or blunts the impact of insulin?). He prescribes it to some of his diabetes patients and they immediately lose 12-15 lbs.
                Are you sure he said it's a new drug? This sounds like what metformin does--except metformin increases insulin sensitivity and it's been around for a while.
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                  Are you sure he said it's a new drug? This sounds like what metformin does--except metformin increases insulin sensitivity and it's been around for a while.
                  That is what I recall he said. I will ask and get more details.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                    Teenager 'blind' from living off crisps and chips

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49551337

"Eye doctors in Bristol cared for the young man after his vision had deteriorated to the point of blindness.Since leaving primary school, the teen had been eating only French fries, Pringles and white bread, as well as an occasional slice of ham or a sausage.
                    Tests revealed he had severe vitamin deficiencies and malnutrition damage."
                    oh shit. i think that may be happening to me.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      oh shit. i think that may be happening to me.
                      I always thought it was something else that caused blindness

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        FIFY - Life was meant to be lived - not dragged out.
                        Shasta is the sign of a life well-lived!

Comment

Sorry soda drinkers (diet and otherwise), you're going to die first!

I have yet to see a study about artificially sweetened soft drinks that doesn't have other potential causes of health issues with those studied. This one is especially weak in that area.

I'm going to continue drinking one or two a day and I won't feel guilty about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                            Probably talking about GLP-1 agonists like Victoza. Those definitely help with weight loss.

Comment

• Pass the beef...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/h...01tion=topNews

Public health officials for years have urged Americans to limit consumption of red meat and processed meats because of concerns that these foods are linked to heart disease, cancer and other ills.

But on Monday, in a remarkable turnabout, an international collaboration of researchers produced a series of analyses concluding that the advice, a bedrock of almost all dietary guidelines, is not backed by good scientific evidence.

If there are health benefits from eating less beef and pork, they are small, the researchers concluded. Indeed, the advantages are so faint that they can be discerned only when looking at large populations, the scientists said, and are not sufficient to tell individuals to change their meat-eating habits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                So now there's nothing left in the WoW that is correct??

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X