Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The official diet and nutrition thread

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    This piece on CNN last week bummed me out, but I'm seeking further light and knowledge on the subject. I've been eating between four and ten eggs a week, and I enjoy them very much...
    Hmm... That seems to run counter to a ton of recent research.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    How many eggs are in an sausage mcmuffin with egg?
    Zero.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Zero.
    In McDonald's defense, they use 1 egg in a Sausage McMuffin with Egg and it's an actual real egg - not egg beaters or egg-mixture or pre-cooked at some other location or any kind of faux egg whatever.

Other breakfast items at McDs use egg mixtures (McGriddles, Breakfast burritos, etc.) but not the Egg McMuffin or Sausage McMuffin with egg. The EMM and SMMWE are the real McCoy.

This thread inspired me to go home and have a breakfast burrito and diet 7-up for lunch even though I rarely partake of soda or eggs.
    Last edited by beefytee; 03-18-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Hmm... That seems to run counter to a ton of recent research.
    I thought so, too. Since my cholesterol levels have always been good, I'm inclined to ignore this latest threat to my morning repasts.

Paging CardiacCoug... I've been taking a low-dose aspirin for >10 years, motivated by the fact that my mother and her mother had debilitating, and ultimately fatal strokes (heart attacks aren't a thing, though, on my family tree). My GP hasn't pushed me to take aspirin, but he hasn't objected either. I'll ask him if I should stop at my next physical, but wonder if I should stop now.
    The problem with these articles is that for like the next 6 months I’m going to see a bunch of people who definitely benefit from aspirin because of prior bypass surgery or prior heart attack with stents who are going to stop taking aspirin because they read it on CNN.

The benefits of aspirin only accrue to people who have some type of atherosclerotic heart or vascular disease.

It’s probably reasonable NOT to take aspirin if you have no history of a heart attack or stroke and and no history of or evidence of any atherosclerotic plaque.

These days for men in their 50s and 60s having a coronary calcium score (low dose CT scan through the heart) is probably a good way to figure out if you benefit from an aspirin and statin or not.

I tend to think that male doctors and lawyers are generally type A assholes who benefit from aspirin in general. One of the landmark aspirin studies showed benefit of aspirin in male physicians so I’m going to keep doing a daily baby aspirin myself.

I thought so, too. Since my cholesterol levels have always been good, I'm inclined to ignore this latest threat to my morning repasts.
    I am lazy so my breakfast is exactly the same every day: a small amount of costco granola with some fresh fruit and two eggs. I am going to use this as an excuse to try to mix things up and get out of my rut.

Also, I am still doing the 5/2 fasting routine (24-hr fast 2X per week). I might also start playing with the 16/8 method and restrict my eating to 12-8pm. Maybe alternate from week to week. Or month to month.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

OK, I pinged my doctor son on the new aspirin recommendations. His response:

The aspirin thing is real. Aspirin for primary prevention (you don’t have heart disease or stroke) likely just increases your risk of bleeding.
    Sounds similar to what Cardiac is saying. Adios, baby aspirin.

As for the studies on eggs, diet sodas, etc., he said there is a huge problem with nutritional research in general and pointed me to this fascinating article:

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/08/24...-science-13357

Hmm...

As for the studies on eggs, diet sodas, etc., he said there is a huge problem with nutritional research in general and pointed me to this fascinating article:

Hmm...
    I'm immediately suspicious of any nutrition advice that shows up on CNN. I have a feeling that genetics play the biggest role, all things considered. But I do like the studies of populations where people live the longest, and the types of diets and activities they engage in.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

Hmm...
    Thanks, CC and JL; adieu, Bayer...

And I'm looking forward to eggs in the morning. On non-egg days I eat oatmeal, with an occasional Jamba Juice Pomegranate Pick-Me-Up, substituting fruit for the sherbet portion--a sugar and calorie bomb, but dammit, I'm worth it!

Guys, go ahead and enjoy those eggs. And shame on journalists everywhere.

That was useful, thanks. It's so very difficult to get good opinion on most things these days for the reasons cited. With regard to diet especially, who do you trust?

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    That was useful, thanks. It's so very difficult to get good opinion on most things these days for the reasons cited. With regard to diet especially, who do you trust?
    The Holy Ghost!

The Holy Ghost!
    Unfortunately, I find those results often tainted by confirmation bias also.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Unfortunately, I find those results often tainted by confirmation bias also.
    Ha. Yes, indeed.

The first rule of analyzing any self-reporting nutritional study is to take it with the biggest grain of salt you can find. And then once you've done that, read the article, and make sure it is claiming what the news is reporting:

In multivariate analyses, those consuming the highest level of ASB compared to never or rarely (<1/wk) had significantly greater likelihood of all end points (except hemorrhagic stroke), after controlling for multiple covariates.
    Sounds serious! So what is the highest level of diet drink usage they studied? From the materials and methods section:

Frequency was described in 9 categories: never or less than once per month (reference), 1 to 3 per month, 1 per week, 2 to 4 per week, 5 to 6 per week, 1 per day, 2 to 3 per day, 4 to 5 per day, ≥6 per day. These categories were collapsed for analysis to 4 categories: never or less than once per week, 1 to 4 times a week, 5 to 7 times a week, and ≥2 times a day.
    Anyone want to guess why they collapsed the 2-3, 4-5, and >6 drinks/day into one category? I'd bet money that they didn't find a significant increase in morbidity/mortality in the 2-5 drink/day users, so they included the >6/day to get positive results. So basically, those that report heavy drinking of soft drinks have a somewhat higher risk of cardiovascular disease than those that drink rarely. That says nothing of those that might be drinking 1-2 soft drinks a day. So for those of you freaks who actually like the taste of diet Mountain Dew, go ahead and raise that can of piss regularly but responsibly. You've probably got worse things to think about.

Look, they had a ton of people in this study (~90,000) and had some interesting results. There may be something there wrt soft drinks. But if you were to be skeptical of every self-reporting nutritional study right off the bat, you would be right much more often than not.

The companion editorial to this study is also worth reading:

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...AHA.119.024456

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    The first rule of analyzing any self-reporting nutritional study is to take it with the biggest grain of salt you can find. And then once you've done that, read the article, and make sure it is claiming what the news is reporting:

Sounds serious! So what is the highest level of diet drink usage they studied? From the materials and methods section:

Anyone want to guess why they collapsed the 2-3, 4-5, and >6 drinks/day into one category? I'd bet money that they didn't find a significant increase in morbidity/mortality in the 2-5 drink/day users, so they included the >6/day to get positive results. So basically, those that report heavy drinking of soft drinks have a somewhat higher risk of cardiovascular disease than those that drink rarely. That says nothing of those that might be drinking 1-2 soft drinks a day. So for those of you freaks who actually like the taste of diet Mountain Dew, go ahead and raise that can of piss regularly but responsibly. You've probably got worse things to think about.

Look, they had a ton of people in this study (~90,000) and had some interesting results. There may be something there wrt soft drinks. But if you were to be skeptical of every self-reporting nutritional study right off the bat, you would be right much more often than not.

The companion editorial to this study is also worth reading:

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...AHA.119.024456
    Excellent post. And the link was great. Thank you.

After reading that, I suspect my wife and I are rather low risk. However, we were rather heavy ASB drinkers (me especially), so it seemed like a good opportunity to cut back. My original plan was to go cold turkey and then reintroduce in moderation. However, the transition was relatively painless and I am fine for now. I might just stick with water. It is definitely more convenient.

Now I’m curious. Several years ago I was on a plane sitting next to a clinical research nurse. She was working on Advil PM at the time. I discussed my frequent migraines and that I had tried just about everything and nothing seemed to make much difference. She said there was some thought that some kinds of migraines were like mini strokes. She suggested I take a daily low dose aspirin. I have ever since. Almost immediately I noticed a decrease in frequency and severity. Still got them and at times they were just as intense, but those were down to a couple of times a month vs a couple a week. The last year I’m back to a few times a week. I’m wondering if the aspirin did anything at all or if it was psychological.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Now I’m curious. Several years ago I was on a plane sitting next to a clinical research nurse. She was working on Advil PM at the time. I discussed my frequent migraines and that I had tried just about everything and nothing seemed to make much difference. She said there was some thought that some kinds of migraines were like mini strokes. She suggested I take a daily low dose aspirin. I have ever since. Almost immediately I noticed a decrease in frequency and severity. Still got them and at times they were just as intense, but those were down to a couple of times a month vs a couple a week. The last year I’m back to a few times a week. I’m wondering if the aspirin did anything at all or if it was psychological.
    Have you tried aimovig? My wife says its done wonders for her.

Excellent post. And the link was great. Thank you.

After reading that, I suspect my wife and I are rather low risk. However, we were rather heavy ASB drinkers (me especially), so it seemed like a good opportunity to cut back. My original plan was to go cold turkey and then reintroduce in moderation. However, the transition was relatively painless and I am fine for now. I might just stick with water. It is definitely more convenient.
    Yeah, diet drinks are not likely completely benign. And I'm sure you're better off replacing it with water. I used to be a 2-3 can/day drinker. I had a kidney stone during that time and my wife swore that it was caused by diet drinks. That was around my transition from cold to hot caffeine. Since I haven't had a kidney stone since (knock on wood), she may have been right!

Yeah, the link in the CNN article is broken. Here is the actual study:

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...AHA.118.023100

I agree there is a lot of junk science out there. But there is also a body of legit research. This seems to be the most compelling study yet.
    I will be ignoring any study you link that indicates that I will die earlier if I drink beer. SJBH.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    Have you tried aimovig? My wife says its done wonders for her.
    About the only thing I havenít tried is botox.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    About the only thing I haven’t tried is botox.
    Between the botox and aimovig she's thinking she can cut down on a bunch of the other stuff she takes.

An essay about everything that went wrong with the media hype over the recent egg study:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/craigga.../#3377134065ec

tl;dr summary: Eggs are not bad for you and we have a serious problem with how nutritional research is executed and reported

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

What's the point of living if you can't drink Diet Mountain Dew for breakfast?