The official diet and nutrition thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    This piece on CNN last week bummed me out, but I'm seeking further light and knowledge on the subject. I've been eating between four and ten eggs a week, and I enjoy them very much...
    Hmm... That seems to run counter to a ton of recent research.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      How many eggs are in an sausage mcmuffin with egg? [emoji51]
      Zero.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        Zero.
        In McDonald's defense, they use 1 egg in a Sausage McMuffin with Egg and it's an actual real egg - not egg beaters or egg-mixture or pre-cooked at some other location or any kind of faux egg whatever.

Other breakfast items at McDs use egg mixtures (McGriddles, Breakfast burritos, etc.) but not the Egg McMuffin or Sausage McMuffin with egg. The EMM and SMMWE are the real McCoy.

Comment

This thread inspired me to go home and have a breakfast burrito and diet 7-up for lunch even though I rarely partake of soda or eggs.
          Last edited by beefytee; 03-18-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Hmm... That seems to run counter to a ton of recent research.
            I thought so, too. Since my cholesterol levels have always been good, I'm inclined to ignore this latest threat to my morning repasts.

Comment

Paging CardiacCoug... I've been taking a low-dose aspirin for >10 years, motivated by the fact that my mother and her mother had debilitating, and ultimately fatal strokes (heart attacks aren't a thing, though, on my family tree). My GP hasn't pushed me to take aspirin, but he hasn't objected either. I'll ask him if I should stop at my next physical, but wonder if I should stop now.
              The problem with these articles is that for like the next 6 months I’m going to see a bunch of people who definitely benefit from aspirin because of prior bypass surgery or prior heart attack with stents who are going to stop taking aspirin because they read it on CNN.

The benefits of aspirin only accrue to people who have some type of atherosclerotic heart or vascular disease.

It’s probably reasonable NOT to take aspirin if you have no history of a heart attack or stroke and and no history of or evidence of any atherosclerotic plaque.

These days for men in their 50s and 60s having a coronary calcium score (low dose CT scan through the heart) is probably a good way to figure out if you benefit from an aspirin and statin or not.

I tend to think that male doctors and lawyers are generally type A assholes who benefit from aspirin in general. One of the landmark aspirin studies showed benefit of aspirin in male physicians so I’m going to keep doing a daily baby aspirin myself.

Comment

I thought so, too. Since my cholesterol levels have always been good, I'm inclined to ignore this latest threat to my morning repasts.
                I am lazy so my breakfast is exactly the same every day: a small amount of costco granola with some fresh fruit and two eggs. I am going to use this as an excuse to try to mix things up and get out of my rut.

Also, I am still doing the 5/2 fasting routine (24-hr fast 2X per week). I might also start playing with the 16/8 method and restrict my eating to 12-8pm. Maybe alternate from week to week. Or month to month.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

OK, I pinged my doctor son on the new aspirin recommendations. His response:

The aspirin thing is real. Aspirin for primary prevention (you don’t have heart disease or stroke) likely just increases your risk of bleeding.
                  Sounds similar to what Cardiac is saying. Adios, baby aspirin.

As for the studies on eggs, diet sodas, etc., he said there is a huge problem with nutritional research in general and pointed me to this fascinating article:

https://www.acsh.org/news/2018/08/24...-science-13357

Hmm...

Comment

As for the studies on eggs, diet sodas, etc., he said there is a huge problem with nutritional research in general and pointed me to this fascinating article:

Hmm...
                    I'm immediately suspicious of any nutrition advice that shows up on CNN. I have a feeling that genetics play the biggest role, all things considered. But I do like the studies of populations where people live the longest, and the types of diets and activities they engage in.

Comment

Hmm...
                      Thanks, CC and JL; adieu, Bayer...

And I'm looking forward to eggs in the morning. On non-egg days I eat oatmeal, with an occasional Jamba Juice Pomegranate Pick-Me-Up, substituting fruit for the sherbet portion--a sugar and calorie bomb, but dammit, I'm worth it!

Comment

Guys, go ahead and enjoy those eggs. And shame on journalists everywhere.

Comment

That was useful, thanks. It's so very difficult to get good opinion on most things these days for the reasons cited. With regard to diet especially, who do you trust?

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                            That was useful, thanks. It's so very difficult to get good opinion on most things these days for the reasons cited. With regard to diet especially, who do you trust?
                            The Holy Ghost!

Comment

The Holy Ghost!
                              Unfortunately, I find those results often tainted by confirmation bias also.

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                                Unfortunately, I find those results often tainted by confirmation bias also.
                                Ha. Yes, indeed.

Comment

Working...
                                X