The official diet and nutrition thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    So now there's nothing left in the WoW that is correct??
    Tobacco & alcohol are still bad for you!!!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Pffft. Just until more science comes out.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Pffft. Just until more science comes out.
        Haha.

I guess this red meat study is causing outrage among some nutritionists.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ead-to-outrage
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Just tobacco. And more nasty reports coming out about vaping every day!

Comment

• By the way, I'm down 30 pounds by following The Obesity Code principles. I need to go down another 30 before I consider myself a BigButMuchLessFatMeanie.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              By the way, I'm down 30 pounds by following The Obesity Code principles. I need to go down another 30 before I consider myself a BigButMuchLessFatMeanie.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                By the way, I'm down 30 pounds by following The Obesity Code principles. I need to go down another 30 before I consider myself a BigButMuchLessFatMeanie.
                That's awesome. What, exactly, are you doing? Daily fast plus no sugar?
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

That's awesome. What, exactly, are you doing? Daily fast plus no sugar?
                  Significantly reduced sugar - I allow myself 1 treat a week, usually Sunday dessert. Although this week I cheated and had another slice of homemade raspberry pie yesterday which was left over from Sunday.

Significantly reduced refined/processed carbs - Eliminate chips, crackers, etc. For example, the other day my wife was having smoked salmon and cream cheese on Triscuits. I wanted some but instead put the smoked salmon and cream cheese on a slice of lettuce.

Moderate unprocessed carbs - I allow myself one "potato dish" a week (fries, mashed potatoes, tots, etc.). I try to eat brown rice instead of white when possible. I look for lower-carb pastas like chickpea pasta. I try and substitute zoodles (zucchini) for spaghetti or linguini, etc.

Try to avoid snacking. If I do have a snack I try to have things that aren't too carby - olives, nuts, cheese, tuna, etc.

Skip 1-2 meals a week. I don't do daily fasting. I usually skip 1 dinner a week, usually Thursday nights, and 1 breakfast a week, usually on Sunday. I like skipping dinner instead of skipping breakfast because I almost never overeat at breakfast but it's very easy for me to overeat at dinner. I assume I'll plateau here eventually and if so then I might move closer to daily fasting but right now I'm only skipping 1-2 meals a week.

I've been doing this for about 6 months now and I feel like it's pretty sustainable. I don't track or measure my carb intake but I do look at stuff to see how carby it is. I don't track or measure calories.

I have good intentions to exercise more and try to go walking with my wife or doing some light strength training, but I'm pretty spotty at it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                    Just tobacco. And more nasty reports coming out about vaping every day!
                    Dude, stop being so anti-science! Alcohol is definitely bad for you.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...310-2/fulltext

Alcohol use is a leading risk factor for global disease burden and causes substantial health loss. We found that the risk of all-cause mortality, and of cancers specifically, rises with increasing levels of consumption, and the level of consumption that minimises health loss is zero. These results suggest that alcohol control policies might need to be revised worldwide, refocusing on efforts to lower overall population-level consumption.

Comment

• I am using some of the obesity code principles. No sugar (meaning no desserts, etc) M-F. I allow myself to indulge on Saturday, particularly if there is a game at LES. Very limited snacking between meals; a protein bar or veggies if anything. Intermittent fasting, but no as strict as I want. Typically I fast from 8 pm to about 1100 am.

For exercise, I have been swimming 3-4 days a week since my knees got effed up in my marathon. The last month I have mixed in heavy (for me) chest and arm weight work.

Result of all of it is I'm down 20 pounds from my pre-marathon high but my body fat % is down significantly from where I was even on race day back in may. End goal is 10-15 more pounds. I feel pretty good and am trying to make my goal by thanksgiving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                        I am using some of the obesity code principles. No sugar (meaning no desserts, etc) M-F. I allow myself to indulge on Saturday, particularly if there is a game at LES. Very limited snacking between meals; a protein bar or veggies if anything. Intermittent fasting, but no as strict as I want. Typically I fast from 8 pm to about 1100 am.

For exercise, I have been swimming 3-4 days a week since my knees got effed up in my marathon. The last month I have mixed in heavy (for me) chest and arm weight work.

Result of all of it is I'm down 20 pounds from my pre-marathon high but my body fat % is down significantly from where I was even on race day back in may. End goal is 10-15 more pounds. I feel pretty good and am trying to make my goal by thanksgiving.
                        Nice work. I, too, follow at least some of the Code's recommendations with good results, although I've slipped a little the past month or so. Technically, I'm fasting 20+ hours a day, just not consecutively...

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          Nice work. I, too, follow at least some of the Code's recommendations with good results, although I've slipped a little the past month or so. Technically, I'm fasting 20+ hours a day, just not consecutively...
                          Haha.

Comment

• Just finishing week 4 of intermittent fasting. I have doing the 16/8 schedule, eating typically between 11am and 7pm. I've also been counting calories on MyFitnessPal, with the target set at losing a pound a week. I've been pretty good about my diet for 5 days a week. On Friday and Saturday, I still typically follow 16/8 schedule, but my calorie count often goes above my target.

The first two weeks were pretty miserable between the hours of 8-11am. Third week things started to get a little more tolerable. This week, my belly hasn't typically started to get too grumpy until about 10:00 or 10:30 am.

So far I'm dropping close to a pound a week, with about 4 down so far as of this morning. I would love to hit 12 pounds total.

I was a little concerned about energy levels with the new schedule, but it really hasn't been an issue. I typically exercise for 30-40 minutes of weights or cardio at home in the morning before work, and then do a little more substantial workout on Tuesday and Thursday afternoon. Saturday is usually a long bike ride. My energy has been good for the most part, both during the work day and during exercise.

I read The Obesity Code and much of it made sense. I'm curious to see if this new "diet" will be sustainable or not for me. I've always been a big breakfast eater.

Comment

• I started OMAD IF this week. I eat dinner with the family usually between 6-8. I am surprised at how easy it has been. My plan is to stay on it until Thanksgiving and see how I feel then. So far so good.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• I found a healthy way to eat chocolate. Peel a mandarin orange, and break a Hershey's milk chocolate bar into squares. Put one square on top of on section of orange, and eat together. Good for the heart; good for the soul. You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X