No announcement yet.

The official diet and nutrition thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first rule of analyzing any self-reporting nutritional study is to take it with the biggest grain of salt you can find. And then once you've done that, read the article, and make sure it is claiming what the news is reporting:

In multivariate analyses, those consuming the highest level of ASB compared to never or rarely (<1/wk) had significantly greater likelihood of all end points (except hemorrhagic stroke), after controlling for multiple covariates.
    Sounds serious! So what is the highest level of diet drink usage they studied? From the materials and methods section:

Frequency was described in 9 categories: never or less than once per month (reference), 1 to 3 per month, 1 per week, 2 to 4 per week, 5 to 6 per week, 1 per day, 2 to 3 per day, 4 to 5 per day, ≥6 per day. These categories were collapsed for analysis to 4 categories: never or less than once per week, 1 to 4 times a week, 5 to 7 times a week, and ≥2 times a day.
    Anyone want to guess why they collapsed the 2-3, 4-5, and >6 drinks/day into one category? I'd bet money that they didn't find a significant increase in morbidity/mortality in the 2-5 drink/day users, so they included the >6/day to get positive results. So basically, those that report heavy drinking of soft drinks have a somewhat higher risk of cardiovascular disease than those that drink rarely. That says nothing of those that might be drinking 1-2 soft drinks a day. So for those of you freaks who actually like the taste of diet Mountain Dew, go ahead and raise that can of piss regularly but responsibly. You've probably got worse things to think about.

Look, they had a ton of people in this study (~90,000) and had some interesting results. There may be something there wrt soft drinks. But if you were to be skeptical of every self-reporting nutritional study right off the bat, you would be right much more often than not.

The companion editorial to this study is also worth reading:

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...AHA.119.024456
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      The first rule of analyzing any self-reporting nutritional study is to take it with the biggest grain of salt you can find. And then once you've done that, read the article, and make sure it is claiming what the news is reporting:

Sounds serious! So what is the highest level of diet drink usage they studied? From the materials and methods section:

Anyone want to guess why they collapsed the 2-3, 4-5, and >6 drinks/day into one category? I'd bet money that they didn't find a significant increase in morbidity/mortality in the 2-5 drink/day users, so they included the >6/day to get positive results. So basically, those that report heavy drinking of soft drinks have a somewhat higher risk of cardiovascular disease than those that drink rarely. That says nothing of those that might be drinking 1-2 soft drinks a day. So for those of you freaks who actually like the taste of diet Mountain Dew, go ahead and raise that can of piss regularly but responsibly. You've probably got worse things to think about.

Look, they had a ton of people in this study (~90,000) and had some interesting results. There may be something there wrt soft drinks. But if you were to be skeptical of every self-reporting nutritional study right off the bat, you would be right much more often than not.

The companion editorial to this study is also worth reading:

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...AHA.119.024456
      Excellent post. And the link was great. Thank you.

After reading that, I suspect my wife and I are rather low risk. However, we were rather heavy ASB drinkers (me especially), so it seemed like a good opportunity to cut back. My original plan was to go cold turkey and then reintroduce in moderation. However, the transition was relatively painless and I am fine for now. I might just stick with water. It is definitely more convenient.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Now I’m curious. Several years ago I was on a plane sitting next to a clinical research nurse. She was working on Advil PM at the time. I discussed my frequent migraines and that I had tried just about everything and nothing seemed to make much difference. She said there was some thought that some kinds of migraines were like mini strokes. She suggested I take a daily low dose aspirin. I have ever since. Almost immediately I noticed a decrease in frequency and severity. Still got them and at times they were just as intense, but those were down to a couple of times a month vs a couple a week. The last year I’m back to a few times a week. I’m wondering if the aspirin did anything at all or if it was psychological.
        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
          Now I’m curious. Several years ago I was on a plane sitting next to a clinical research nurse. She was working on Advil PM at the time. I discussed my frequent migraines and that I had tried just about everything and nothing seemed to make much difference. She said there was some thought that some kinds of migraines were like mini strokes. She suggested I take a daily low dose aspirin. I have ever since. Almost immediately I noticed a decrease in frequency and severity. Still got them and at times they were just as intense, but those were down to a couple of times a month vs a couple a week. The last year I’m back to a few times a week. I’m wondering if the aspirin did anything at all or if it was psychological.
          Have you tried aimovig? My wife says its done wonders for her.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Excellent post. And the link was great. Thank you.

After reading that, I suspect my wife and I are rather low risk. However, we were rather heavy ASB drinkers (me especially), so it seemed like a good opportunity to cut back. My original plan was to go cold turkey and then reintroduce in moderation. However, the transition was relatively painless and I am fine for now. I might just stick with water. It is definitely more convenient.
            Yeah, diet drinks are not likely completely benign. And I'm sure you're better off replacing it with water. I used to be a 2-3 can/day drinker. I had a kidney stone during that time and my wife swore that it was caused by diet drinks. That was around my transition from cold to hot caffeine. Since I haven't had a kidney stone since (knock on wood), she may have been right!
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Yeah, the link in the CNN article is broken. Here is the actual study:

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1...AHA.118.023100

I agree there is a lot of junk science out there. But there is also a body of legit research. This seems to be the most compelling study yet.
              I will be ignoring any study you link that indicates that I will die earlier if I drink beer. SJBH.
              As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                Have you tried aimovig? My wife says its done wonders for her.
                About the only thing I haven’t tried is botox.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                  About the only thing I haven’t tried is botox.
                  Between the botox and aimovig she's thinking she can cut down on a bunch of the other stuff she takes.

Comment

An essay about everything that went wrong with the media hype over the recent egg study:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/craigga.../#3377134065ec

tl;dr summary: Eggs are not bad for you and we have a serious problem with how nutritional research is executed and reported
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

What's the point of living if you can't drink Diet Mountain Dew for breakfast?

Comment

It is no secret that I don't like most vegans. I think the Vegan movement is primarily a bunch of dummies trying to look hip and virtue signal on social media. Lately a bunch of vegans with huge followings on social media have been caught eating meat and now the vegans are eating their own (metaphorically speaking).

https://www.thedailybeast.com/vegan-...e-change-diets

Check out the video. Funny stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                          I've done 96 hour fasts each month for the last three months, hoping the autophagy will eat my brain wastes, since alzheimers runs in my family. One thing I've noticed is that fasting has lost religious significance for me, since a two-meal fast is for pussies. It's not till 72+ that I start communing with the forces of nature.
                          When I read this I thought a 96 hour fast is looney but then my wife bought one of Dr. Fung's books and I'm convinced that extended fasting can be beneficial. Fung claims that benefits of an extended fast include (in addition to even lower insulin levels, weight loss, and autophagy) increased adrenalin and HGH levels.

I had been doing intermittent fasting for the last month (18-20 hours between dinners) about four days/ week. I only experienced a little weight loss, probably due to the fact that I would pig out during my feeding periods. I was eating a ton of junk food and justifying it by the fast I completed that day.

So Sunday night, when I normally would have broken my religious fast, I switched from a dry fast to a water fast. That's all I've ingested since, plus a quarter tsp of salt. I'm closing in on 72 hours and I feel surprisingly not hungry. I'm going to go two more days, for a grand total of 120 hours. In theory, I should lose about three pounds of fat. So far, my weight is way down (about 6-8 lbs.) but a lot of that is water.

After I break my fast, I'll return and report.
                          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                            When I read this I thought a 96 hour fast is looney but then my wife bought one of Dr. Fung's books and I'm convinced that extended fasting can be beneficial. Fung claims that benefits of an extended fast include (in addition to even lower insulin levels, weight loss, and autophagy) increased adrenalin and HGH levels.

I had been doing intermittent fasting for the last month (18-20 hours between dinners) about four days/ week. I only experienced a little weight loss, probably due to the fact that I would pig out during my feeding periods. I was eating a ton of junk food and justifying it by the fast I completed that day.

So Sunday night, when I normally would have broken my religious fast, I switched from a dry fast to a water fast. That's all I've ingested since, plus a quarter tsp of salt. I'm closing in on 72 hours and I feel surprisingly not hungry. I'm going to go two more days, for a grand total of 120 hours. In theory, I should lose about three pounds of fat. So far, my weight is way down (about 6-8 lbs.) but a lot of that is water.

After I break my fast, I'll return and report.
                            Holy crap!

There's no way I could work out and not eat. So I guess that would also be the time to rest my muscles?

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              Holy crap!

There's no way I could work out and not eat. So I guess that would also be the time to rest my muscles?
                              I haven't exercised while fasting. I'm worried that would make it harder. But I'll try working out while fasting sometime in the future.
                              "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                              "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                              This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                              "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                              "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

This fasting stuff is crazy to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X