Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The official diet and nutrition thread

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    The article I posted has references.

http://www.insuliniq.com/3-not-so-sw...al-sweeteners/
    Correlation does not equal causation.

That text should read “There is an association between diet soda consumption and metabolic syndrome / type 2 diabetes” not that diet soda increases the risk. That implies a causative link that is totally unproven.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I followed the links in the citations and I think he is grossly overstating the evidence.
    insuliniq is professor bikman's site, someone in Utah Valley go interview him and clear this up!

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Correlation does not equal causation.

That text should read “There is an association between diet soda consumption and metabolic syndrome / type 2 diabetes” not that diet soda increases the risk. That implies a causative link that is totally unproven.
    Fair enough. As Haidt would say, a high correlation should invoke a curiosity to discover what's going on. Maybe Bikman should be working on that.

I've done 96 hour fasts each month for the last three months, hoping the autophagy will eat my brain wastes, since alzheimers runs in my family. One thing I've noticed is that fasting has lost religious significance for me, since a two-meal fast is for pussies. It's not till 72+ that I start communing with the forces of nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I've done 96 hour fasts each month for the last three months, hoping the autophagy will eat my brain wastes, since alzheimers runs in my family. One thing I've noticed is that fasting has lost religious significance for me, since a two-meal fast is for pussies. It's not till 72+ that I start communing with the forces of nature.

Holy crap. I want some details. How is the hunger? Fatigue? You taking vitamins of some kind? I assume you are dropping some serious weight.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    What are you doing to replace electrolytes?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    What are you doing to replace electrolytes?
    Electrolytes are for pussies.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Electrolytes are for pussies.
    She's a chick, dude.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by swampfrog View Post
    Fair enough. As Haidt would say, a high correlation should invoke a curiosity to discover what's going on. Maybe Bikman should be working on that.
    Sure it might be as simple as that people who drink diet soda daily are more likely to be eating horrible foods from 7-11 and McDonalds with their diet drinks. That’s where a lot of the soda is purchased and they get food with it.