Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The official diet and nutrition thread

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    This fasting stuff is crazy to me.
    What's especially crazy is how easy it is to go three days without eating. I never would have thought it possible, but I don't really notice the hunger at this point.

Dr. Fung makes the point that the hunger signals don't get any stronger after the initial onset. I've found it to be true. I don't feel any hungrier now than I did two days ago. Actually, now that I think about it, I was a lot hungrier 24 hours in than 72.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    What's especially crazy is how easy it is to go three days without eating. I never would have thought it possible, but I don't really notice the hunger at this point.

Dr. Fung makes the point that the hunger signals don't get any stronger after the initial onset. I've found it to be true. I don't feel any hungrier now than I did two days ago. Actually, now that I think about it, I was a lot hungrier 24 hours in than 72.
    It is because you are dying.

I have been doing it for about 11 months now. For a long tome I did two 24-hr fasts per week. Now I do the 16-8 thing 5 days per week. Easy peasy. Keeping my weight off and I feel great.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

When I read this I thought a 96 hour fast is looney but then my wife bought one of Dr. Fung's books and I'm convinced that extended fasting can be beneficial. Fung claims that benefits of an extended fast include (in addition to even lower insulin levels, weight loss, and autophagy) increased adrenalin and HGH levels.

I had been doing intermittent fasting for the last month (18-20 hours between dinners) about four days/ week. I only experienced a little weight loss, probably due to the fact that I would pig out during my feeding periods. I was eating a ton of junk food and justifying it by the fast I completed that day.

So Sunday night, when I normally would have broken my religious fast, I switched from a dry fast to a water fast. That's all I've ingested since, plus a quarter tsp of salt. I'm closing in on 72 hours and I feel surprisingly not hungry. I'm going to go two more days, for a grand total of 120 hours. In theory, I should lose about three pounds of fat. So far, my weight is way down (about 6-8 lbs.) but a lot of that is water.

After I break my fast, I'll return and report.
    I wouldn't have thought you had 6 pounds to spare.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I have been doing it for about 11 months now. For a long tome I did two 24-hr fasts per week. Now I do the 16-8 thing 5 days per week. Easy peasy. Keeping my weight off and I feel great.
    I do the same. 4 years now. Technically it's more like a 20-4 thing for me, but it's easy for me to do and it works well provided i'm fairly disciplined (which hasn't always been the case) during the stretch i eat and on the weekends.

Can't imagine fasting for 96 to 120 hours.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    I do the same. 4 years now. Technically it's more like a 20-4 thing for me, but it's easy for me to do and it works well provided i'm fairly disciplined (which hasn't always been the case) during the stretch i eat and on the weekends.

Can't imagine fasting for 96 to 120 hours.
    For me once I get past 24-36 I feel fine. I've found longer fasts help me get off of a plateau if I'm stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I wouldn't have thought you had 6 pounds to spare.
    I've got that and then some!
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    For me once I get past 24-36 I feel fine. I've found longer fasts help me get off of a plateau if I'm stuck.
    i really should try it sometime - that is consistent with what lost student is saying as well.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

For those doing long fasts, I’m curious what your activity level is during the fasts? Do you have to take it easy?

I’m doing some kind of activity 5-6 times a week, like biking, running, playing basketball, or walking 18 holes. I worry that extended fasts would disrupt my activities. I would be afraid of not having the energy to start, or crashing hard in the middle of a bike ride or other activity.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    For those doing long fasts, I’m curious what your activity level is during the fasts? Do you have to take it easy?

I’m doing some kind of activity 5-6 times a week, like biking, running, playing basketball, or walking 18 holes. I worry that extended fasts would disrupt my activities. I would be afraid of not having the energy to start, or crashing hard in the middle of a bike ride or other activity.
    This.

I'm open to the idea that it's a good idea to give your body an extended break, but I'm afraid the body will start to consume my muscles without food. And maybe that's beneficial in some way too.

IANAD but it doesn't make sense to me our bodies would evolve this incredible energy storage mechanism called fat and then ignore it when you fast for a few days in favor of muscle.

edit:

The dude's favorite nutritional guru Dr Fung agrees

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-m...sting-part-14/
    Last edited by SCcoug; 05-08-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    IANAD but it doesn't make sense to me our bodies would evolve this incredible energy storage mechanism called fat and then ignore it when you fast for a few days in favor of muscle.

edit:

The dude's favorite nutritional guru Dr Fung agrees

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-m...sting-part-14/
    Fat is an energy store, but it is not the most efficient to convert to energy. I get that fasting is about getting our bodies to burn through glycogen stores so it will start burning fat. I’m asking from those who have experienced it, do your bodies get better at burning fat as an energy source? Can you do a 20 mile bike commute with the same amount of energy on day 3 of the fast as day 1? Having not done it, I fear that i would not. But I’m open to the possibility that I could.

Fat is an energy store, but it is not the most efficient to convert to energy. I get that fasting is about getting our bodies to burn through glycogen stores so it will start burning fat. I’m asking from those who have experienced it, do your bodies get better at burning fat as an energy source? Can you do a 20 mile bike commute with the same amount of energy on day 3 of the fast as day 1? Having not done it, I fear that i would not. But I’m open to the possibility that I could.
    Some seem to think fasting and exercise can mix:

https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-e...s-combination/
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Some years back I did the no carb thing for a long time. I found that once the glycogen was gone I was ok for very slow repetitive actions (like a low speed long distance bike ride) but I lacked any sort of ability for speed, acceleration or abrupt quickness, meaning no sprints, no getting out of the saddle, etc. I also had no ability to lift much weight. That said, it didn't really bother me on my commute, which was only about 7 miles each way back then, as long as I didn't push the speed to much. I observed this after about two or three weeks of almost zero carbs, so YMMV on a fast.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

When I read this I thought a 96 hour fast is looney but then my wife bought one of Dr. Fung's books and I'm convinced that extended fasting can be beneficial. Fung claims that benefits of an extended fast include (in addition to even lower insulin levels, weight loss, and autophagy) increased adrenalin and HGH levels.

I had been doing intermittent fasting for the last month (18-20 hours between dinners) about four days/ week. I only experienced a little weight loss, probably due to the fact that I would pig out during my feeding periods. I was eating a ton of junk food and justifying it by the fast I completed that day.

So Sunday night, when I normally would have broken my religious fast, I switched from a dry fast to a water fast. That's all I've ingested since, plus a quarter tsp of salt. I'm closing in on 72 hours and I feel surprisingly not hungry. I'm going to go two more days, for a grand total of 120 hours. In theory, I should lose about three pounds of fat. So far, my weight is way down (about 6-8 lbs.) but a lot of that is water.

After I break my fast, I'll return and report.
    I was able to make it to last night. I think I was at around 117 hours. Like I posted above, I was very surprised at how not hungry I was most of the time. Hunger comes in waves. Also surprising: after the first day, the feeling of hunger--when it came--did not get any stronger each day. The morning of the fifth day I was thinking about this in the shower--I felt thirsty but I did not even care about eating.

About being thirsty--I probably should not have done this fast by starting with a Fast Sunday fast, because I was dehydrated from that and behind the 8 ball on that front for a couple of days. I don't think I appreciated how much liquids I normally get from milk, fruit, and other stuff that I should have been compensating for each day. I had to try really hard to remember to keep a bottle of water at my desk and on the nightstand. By the third day I think I wasn't dehydrated anymore.

Most of each day I felt good but had low physical energy. It felt like I had completed a heavy workout a couple of hours previously. I also felt more tired in the morning as a result of the worst part of long fasting: my sleep was crappy for nights 3-5. I woke up in the middle of the night each of those nights, and each time I had a harder time getting back to sleep. This never happens to me normally.

Part of the sleep thing resulted from a kind of uneasy, anxious feeling I would get around bedtime. I've read that cortisol goes up over a longer fast. When I was lying down to sleep, I could feel my heart beating a little harder than normal, which also made me more restless. Even today, I still feel my heart beating slightly harder than normal and I still feel a slight hint of that anxiety. I'm assuming that will go away by the end of the day or tomorrow. Cardiac or other Drs.: should I be worried about that? Please let me know ASAP if I could die soon. TIA.

Breaking the fast was awesome. I had some homemade chicken broth and ate spaghetti squash with cubed chicken breast and pesto. It might have been the most delicious meal I ever had. But even a dog turd would have tasted alright at that point.

I weighed myself yesterday morning. I was down about 9 pounds from a week prior. Over the next week I expect to go back up 5 or 6 lbs. I didn't do this solely for weight loss but for the autophagy (not sure I totally buy this aspect) and insulin reduction benefits. But losing a few pounds is nice and a good headstart so I can look good for the MILF's [sic] at the Spanish Fork neighborhood pool this summer!

I don't think I'll do a fast this long for a while. The sleep quality was so bad for the last two nights that I don't want to repeat it soon. I might make this a annual thing, though. I do plan on doing regular 36 hours fasts when I'm not doing the 18-20 hours fasts. Maybe I'll copy Katy and do a 96 hour fast every once in a while.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I had my annual physical today (fine, thanks) and the doc mentioned three things pertinent to this thread. First, he approved my stopping the baby aspirin thing--as Cardiac and others have noted, taking one daily is a good idea only if you've already had a stroke or cardiac event. Two, with my good cholesterol numbers, eating eggs 3-4 times a week is no problem. Finally, he noted I had dropped a few (just five or so) pounds and wondered why. When I told him about how The Obesity Code (a nod to the Dude for that one) had changed my eating habits a bit, he smiled broadly and said he loved the book and wished all his patients would read it, something to the effect of, "Most diet books are crap, but that one has loads of good information and truly beneficial advice."

Thanks, CS!

I was able to make it to last night. I think I was at around 117 hours. Like I posted above, I was very surprised at how not hungry I was most of the time. Hunger comes in waves. Also surprising: after the first day, the feeling of hunger--when it came--did not get any stronger each day. The morning of the fifth day I was thinking about this in the shower--I felt thirsty but I did not even care about eating.

About being thirsty--I probably should not have done this fast by starting with a Fast Sunday fast, because I was dehydrated from that and behind the 8 ball on that front for a couple of days. I don't think I appreciated how much liquids I normally get from milk, fruit, and other stuff that I should have been compensating for each day. I had to try really hard to remember to keep a bottle of water at my desk and on the nightstand. By the third day I think I wasn't dehydrated anymore.

Most of each day I felt good but had low physical energy. It felt like I had completed a heavy workout a couple of hours previously. I also felt more tired in the morning as a result of the worst part of long fasting: my sleep was crappy for nights 3-5. I woke up in the middle of the night each of those nights, and each time I had a harder time getting back to sleep. This never happens to me normally.

Part of the sleep thing resulted from a kind of uneasy, anxious feeling I would get around bedtime. I've read that cortisol goes up over a longer fast. When I was lying down to sleep, I could feel my heart beating a little harder than normal, which also made me more restless. Even today, I still feel my heart beating slightly harder than normal and I still feel a slight hint of that anxiety. I'm assuming that will go away by the end of the day or tomorrow. Cardiac or other Drs.: should I be worried about that? Please let me know ASAP if I could die soon. TIA.

Breaking the fast was awesome. I had some homemade chicken broth and ate spaghetti squash with cubed chicken breast and pesto. It might have been the most delicious meal I ever had. But even a dog turd would have tasted alright at that point.

I weighed myself yesterday morning. I was down about 9 pounds from a week prior. Over the next week I expect to go back up 5 or 6 lbs. I didn't do this solely for weight loss but for the autophagy (not sure I totally buy this aspect) and insulin reduction benefits. But losing a few pounds is nice and a good headstart so I can look good for the MILF's [sic] at the Spanish Fork neighborhood pool this summer!

I don't think I'll do a fast this long for a while. The sleep quality was so bad for the last two nights that I don't want to repeat it soon. I might make this a annual thing, though. I do plan on doing regular 36 hours fasts when I'm not doing the 18-20 hours fasts. Maybe I'll copy Katy and do a 96 hour fast every once in a while.
    Interesting report.

If you just feel your heart beating stronger than usual but it’s a normal heart rate and not irregular then probably nothing to worry about. I hear that a lot from patients in clinic and consider that an anxiety type of sensation, like you thought.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Interesting report.

If you just feel your heart beating stronger than usual but it’s a normal heart rate and not irregular then probably nothing to worry about. I hear that a lot from patients in clinic and consider that an anxiety type of sensation, like you thought.
    Good to hear, thanks. I'm back to normal now. I read somewhere that having a crappy sleep schedule when leading up to a prolonged fast can exacerbate the cortisol situation, which could explain my issue.