No announcement yet.

The official diet and nutrition thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do the same thing, except without the orange.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I do the same thing, but not Hershey's. Give me something good, like Lindt or Chocolove or maybe Dove.

Comment

• Started a new diet this week. Actually, this the first time I've ever formally been on a diet. I would have started it a month ago, but I just got back from two weeks on a cruise ship and didn't want to be watching my food intake with all of the good stuff available to eat. I didn't gain any weight compared to before getting on the ship, though.

All I'm doing for this diet is smaller portions, salads for lunch, and limit the carbohydrates I eat. And generally avoiding snacks in between meals. I'm trying to write down everything that I eat, so that helps me avoid that cookie or corn chip when I'm craving them. I'm also writing down my weight each morning, mainly so I can see if I'm making long term progress. I know that day to day my weight can vary by 2-3 pounds, so no big deal if I'm up a couple of pounds over the previous day.

I'll report back here if this actually works.

Comment

• As of today I'm down five pounds from when I started this diet. I have now reached the weight that I had hoped to never get above. Reminds me of the old joke: "My New Years resolution is to lose 10 pounds - just 15 more to go".

I'm still aiming to be down ten more by summer.

Comment

• Keep working at it!

Comment

• Interesting article on the benefits of intermittent fasting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/17/w...rds=auddevgate

I've been thinking of trying it out and this is encouraging. It'll be tough to give up breakfast though (my favorite meal of the day).

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                Interesting article on the benefits of intermittent fasting:

I've been thinking of trying it out and this is encouraging. It'll be tough to give up breakfast though (my favorite meal of the day).
                You could fast during dinner, eating breakfast and lunch instead.

Or, just eat your typical breakfast foods for dinner.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Eat breakfast at noon. Problem solved.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I love breakfast as well. When JL started talking about IF in the last year or two I thought that there was no way I could ever skip breakfast. That I would be starving the entire day. I heavily believed that breakfast was the "most important meal of the day." Even when I woke up at 5:30am to play bball, I had to have at least a protein shake or something to not feel hunger.

My wife and my oldest are the opposite. They almost never eat breakfast and I would kind of chide my daughter that it wasn't healthy to skip breakfast, especially as a diabetic.

Now, I am so used to not eating breakfast I don't even think about it. I never eat lunch, either. I only feel hungry as I'm walking through the front door after work and I smell what's cooking for dinner. It's weird but easy to maintain a healthy weight when you only eat one meal per day.

My biggest problem is that I use my daily fasting to justify snacking a bunch between dinner and bed. But my overall calories are pretty low still so I'm not too bothered.
                    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                      I love breakfast as well. When JL started talking about IF in the last year or two I thought that there was no way I could ever skip breakfast. That I would be starving the entire day. I heavily believed that breakfast was the "most important meal of the day." Even when I woke up at 5:30am to play bball, I had to have at least a protein shake or something to not feel hunger.

My wife and my oldest are the opposite. They almost never eat breakfast and I would kind of chide my daughter that it wasn't healthy to skip breakfast, especially as a diabetic.

Now, I am so used to not eating breakfast I don't even think about it. I never eat lunch, either. I only feel hungry as I'm walking through the front door after work and I smell what's cooking for dinner. It's weird but easy to maintain a healthy weight when you only eat one meal per day.

My biggest problem is that I use my daily fasting to justify snacking a bunch between dinner and bed. But my overall calories are pretty low still so I'm not too bothered.
                      Before my surgery, I used to wait until I got home from work to eat anything, because once I ate, I was ravenous until I went to sleep. I could eat a feast and be starving in about an hour. That's the best part of the surgery, that only happens now if don't eat enough protein for consecutive days in a row.
                      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post

Same here.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• I thought this is worth sharing here.

https://www.1843magazine.com/feature...of-the-calorie
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            I thought this is worth sharing here.

https://www.1843magazine.com/feature...of-the-calorie
                            That was an interesting read. Thanks for that. This made an impression on me:

The process of storing fat – the “weight” many people seek to lose – is influenced by dozens of other factors. Apart from calories, our genes, the trillions of bacteria that live in our gut, food preparation and sleep affect how we process food. Academic discussions of food and nutrition are littered with references to huge bodies of research that still need to be conducted. “No other field of science or medicine sees such a lack of rigorous studies,” says Tim Spector, a professor of genetic epidemiology at Kings College in London. “We can create synthetic DNA and clone animals but we still know incredibly little about the stuff that keeps us alive.”
                            What we do know, however, suggests that counting calories is very crude and often misleading. Think of a burger, the kind of food that Camacho eschewed during his early efforts to lose weight. Take a bite and the saliva in your mouth starts to break it down, a process that continues when you swallow, transporting the morsel towards your stomach and beyond to be churned further. The digestive process transforms the protein, carbohydrates and fat in the burger into their basic compounds so that they are tiny enough to be absorbed into the bloodstream via the small intestine to fuel and repair the trillions of cells in the body. But the basic molecules from each macronutrient play very different roles within the body.
                            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

i've been doing IF for 5 years now and i think somebody suggested it, but i love breakfast foods too, just eat them for dinner. best thing about IF for me is that it works and i've been able to sustain the "diet".
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                i've been doing IF for 5 years now and i think somebody suggested it, but i love breakfast foods too, just eat them for dinner. best thing about IF for me is that it works and i've been able to sustain the "diet".
                                I've decided that IF is the best way for me to reduce calories. I'd rather have one really good meal that I really enjoy than have 3 smaller meals that take and edge off but don't really satisfy because not one of them has enough calories in it to really get full by eating stuff I like eating.

It was hard at first - like maybe the first 3-4 weeks - but I never get hungry before noon anymore, and most of the time I'm really not hungry until later into the afternoon or evening.

Most Friday mornings I'll play early morning basketball with some guys at a gym that is close to my office. I used to be so hungry when we got done that I'd have something in the car to eat after or sometimes I'd even stop at McD's on my way to work and grab a couple of breakfast burritos or something. I honestly could not make it without eating after playing. Now I can play for a couple of hours and still go without eating until lunch - or maybe even wait until dinner.

I have no formal method for doing the IF. I haven't read the Obesity Code like some of you - so maybe this is wrong - but I figure that the random/variable nature of some of what I do is maybe a good thing? I always skip breakfast. Sometimes I'll also skip lunch (if I know we're going out or having a big dinner later like yesterday, especially) but sometimes I don't. A couple of weeks ago I talked to someone who was doing a 48 hour fast for some reason, so I decided to try it and do it with them just to see how long I could go or if I'd get hungry - and it was actually much easier than I thought it would be.

I remember when I was a kid - coming home on Fast Sunday and passing out on the couch until it was time to eat (which was usually 2-3pm) because I just didn't have enough energy to do ANYTHING since I hadn't eaten all day. Now - I know I've got a lot more "energy storage" I'm packing around in my body these days, but it makes me chuckle to remember.

Comment

Working...
                                X