Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The official diet and nutrition thread

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

After seeing some discouraging numbers on my scale just a week ago, I'm within one pound of my weight goal this morning. So close.

However, my daughter just arrived last night with her husband and four kids - teenage and almost teenage. And their favorite activity is eating. It's going to be tough to keep from gaining back a few pounds before they leave.

I have been using the last couple of months to figure out my corporeal homeostasis. I want to see what I burn in a given day without dedicated exercise. I got up to 15 lbs heavier than i've ever been as of late April (218 lbs, if you must know). First time in my life I've ever not fit into some of my clothes. However, after having seen several close friends and family members on the weight rollercoaster over the course of my life, I am of the firm belief that exercising your way back to fitness is a bad idea. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that exercise is bad. But I think intense exercise as a primary means of burning calories for weight loss does something to your body that just messes it up. And because most people can't maintain the same exercise regimen once they are back down to size, they balloon again. And with a now effed up metabolism, they gain even more weight.

Since getting up to 218 lbs, I got a fitbit to track my calories burned and have limited myself to around 1800 calories a day. This is really not particularly difficult for me if I cut out snacking. I don't eat breakfast--haven't had the appetite for breakfast for over a decade--and 4 out of 5 days I find it pretty easy to work through lunch. So I have some diet soda and water throughout the day, and I consume my 1800 calories between 5pm and 9 pm.

Doing this for 2 months, I lost 21 lbs and got down to 197. Zero exercise, unless you count golf. For the last month, I've hovered between 200 and 195, depending on water weight. July 4 holiday didn't help, as I gave myself my first "cheat" day. Pretty sure I crushed 3000+ calories. Essentially it is very easy to stay on my restricted intake M-F. Saturday is pretty easy if I keep myself busy. Sunday is a nightmare. I can easily ingest 2500-3000 calories without thinking if I'm not careful on Sunday.

I'm going to continue this through the end of July just to see if I've finally hit homeostasis, and then I'll start working in some exercise. I'm probably going to 3x a week hit 30-45 mins of Zone 2 of heart rate training (180 minus age, plus or minus 5). We'll see what a month of that does to my weight loss if I stick on my same caloric plan.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Good job, DH. Sounds like we've taken a similar approach.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

I'm doing exercise regularly to keep fit, not to help in weight loss. You have to change eating habits to take it off and keep it off.

Once I've managed to see my goal weight across a two-week span, I'll probably stop keeping track of what I eat and what I weigh every day. But once I'm back up five pounds, I'll probably get back to it. I really want to keep it off.

are you sure 30 mins at 128bpm is going to get it done?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

If I don't exercise, I can't lose weight.

Not because I use the exercise as a means of burning calories. But because I seem to do infinitely better staying on my eating plan when I also stay on my exercise plan.

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    are you sure 30 mins at 128bpm is going to get it done?
    I'm not going to dignify that with a substantive response.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I finally hit my goal for the time being of 175 lbs 2 weeks ago (I was at 202 lbs in March). I essentially did it by averaging about 1700 calories a day including 2 days of 24 hour fasts. I did moderate exercise 3 times a week and went for regular 30 minutes walks in the neighborhood. I was really looking forward to getting back to 2100 calories a day but I consulted with a dietician last month who said if you lose weight by moderate or extreme calorie reduction, you have to reverse diet slowly or you will gain it all back quickly. So now I am adding 50 calories a week and no longer doing 24 hour fasts. I'm also heavy on the protein and doing weight resistance. I anticipate gaining back 5 lbs or so in the process, but hope to get my metabolism running quick again.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I have been using the last couple of months to figure out my corporeal homeostasis. I want to see what I burn in a given day without dedicated exercise. I got up to 15 lbs heavier than i've ever been as of late April (218 lbs, if you must know). First time in my life I've ever not fit into some of my clothes. However, after having seen several close friends and family members on the weight rollercoaster over the course of my life, I am of the firm belief that exercising your way back to fitness is a bad idea. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that exercise is bad. But I think intense exercise as a primary means of burning calories for weight loss does something to your body that just messes it up. And because most people can't maintain the same exercise regimen once they are back down to size, they balloon again. And with a now effed up metabolism, they gain even more weight.
    I agree with this. As someone that exercises a lot (5-6 days a week of 45 to 150 min of zone 2-4 cardio) I have hovered around 160 lbs for the past 3-4 years. I know if I cut out ice cream or snacking that I’d lose another 10 lbs easily but I don’t want to cut it out.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I agree with this. As someone that exercises a lot (5-6 days a week of 45 to 150 min of zone 2-4 cardio) I have hovered around 160 lbs for the past 3-4 years. I know if I cut out ice cream or snacking that I’d lose another 10 lbs easily but I don’t want to cut it out.
    Unless you are 5'4" you don't need to lose another 10 lbs. Enjoy your ice cream.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Since getting up to 218 lbs, I got a fitbit to track my calories burned and have limited myself to around 1800 calories a day. This is really not particularly difficult for me if I cut out snacking. I don't eat breakfast--haven't had the appetite for breakfast for over a decade--and 4 out of 5 days I find it pretty easy to work through lunch. So I have some diet soda and water throughout the day, and I consume my 1800 calories between 5pm and 9 pm.

Doing this for 2 months, I lost 21 lbs and got down to 197. Zero exercise, unless you count golf. For the last month, I've hovered between 200 and 195, depending on water weight. July 4 holiday didn't help, as I gave myself my first "cheat" day. Pretty sure I crushed 3000+ calories. Essentially it is very easy to stay on my restricted intake M-F. Saturday is pretty easy if I keep myself busy. Sunday is a nightmare. I can easily ingest 2500-3000 calories without thinking if I'm not careful on Sunday.

I'm going to continue this through the end of July just to see if I've finally hit homeostasis, and then I'll start working in some exercise. I'm probably going to 3x a week hit 30-45 mins of Zone 2 of heart rate training (180 minus age, plus or minus 5). We'll see what a month of that does to my weight loss if I stick on my same caloric plan.
    Interesting. Yeah I agree that weight control is all about diet!

I’m 6’4 and really don’t like to get over 200 pounds. Something about being in the 200s makes me annoyed.

I lose like 5-8 pounds between Monday and Friday and then eat all weekend to gain it back. I would probably drop to 180 within weeks if there were no such thing as a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I lose like 5-8 pounds between Monday and Friday and then eat all weekend to gain it back. I would probably drop to 180 within weeks if there were no such thing as a weekend.

Exactly. I get down to 193 by Friday and by Monday morning I’m back at 199-200.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Exactly. I get down to 193 by Friday and by Monday morning I’m back at 199-200.
    I am gaining a couple of pounds right now.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Down 10 since the last time I stepped on a scale (which was pre-quarantine...I'm pretty sure I packed on five more from March to June), so potentially down 15.

My wife and I are committed to following the Clean Simple Eats program. Some of their stuff is better than others, but a lot of it is actually pretty tasty. My sugar cravings are finally gone, which is nice. We've only been doing it ten days, but the change in nutrition plus 90 minutes of pickleball 3x per week is starting to pay off.
    Down 25 as of this morning. Just 100 more to go.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Down 25 as of this morning. Just 100 more to go.

Looking forward to hearing about the famous GM double-down next!