The official diet and nutrition thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    All of those things you said, those are my favorites, too!
    Get that corn outta my face!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
      The biggest thing that has helped me avoid this is writing down what I actually eat. Most days there's a "Snack" entry for somewhere between 4:00 and 5:00 in the afternoon when I need something. But there's no way I'll stop at Dairy Queen for a banana split, or Chick-Fil-A for a chocolate milk shake if I have to write it down. The cookies can still be an issue, but we hardly ever have those around to tempt me. Snacks are usually chips and salsa, or crackers, or some nuts and raisins. And I'm still having a salad for lunch pretty much every day. That seems to help too.
      I have those occasionally. Yesterday I had the Market Salad from Chik Fil A. The amazing thing to me is how sugar doesn't tempt me. Sometimes if I need a snack mid afternoon I'll have a piece of fruit.

Down 6 pounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        it's all about calories in and calories out. if IF isn't working, it's because you are consuming too many calories still. and if that sounds obvious, my point is the only reason it worked for me is that it was a way for me to keep calories down.
        I have found this to be true. I tried IF without any change to diet, and it made zero difference. It didn't matter if I ate all of my calories within 4 hours and then fasted another 20 hours straight. If the calories were the same, my weight didn't change.

Now I find skipping breakfast is an easy way to keep calories down, but I have to follow that up with smart choices for lunch and dinner, and eliminating all sugary foods altogether. I also avoid most fried foods, though the occasional chik fil a sandwich finds it's way to me.

Down 10 pounds this morning. I think I want to lose another 10-30, depending on how much muscle mass i put on.

Comment

• I'm down 12 this morning. Only three more to go.

I eat a normal, but simple breakfast, have a salad for lunch pretty much every day, have smaller portions for dinner and have greatly reduced the carbohydrates that I eat. Even with less exercise recently, I'm still headed (slowly) down. I'm tempted to do something more drastic to get those last three pounds off. But I will have to keep them off for several weeks before easing up on the diet - if I can ever do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            I have found this to be true. I tried IF without any change to diet, and it made zero difference. It didn't matter if I ate all of my calories within 4 hours and then fasted another 20 hours straight. If the calories were the same, my weight didn't change.

Now I find skipping breakfast is an easy way to keep calories down, but I have to follow that up with smart choices for lunch and dinner, and eliminating all sugary foods altogether. I also avoid most fried foods, though the occasional chik fil a sandwich finds it's way to me.

Down 10 pounds this morning. I think I want to lose another 10-30, depending on how much muscle mass i put on.
            IF was never meant to be done with zero change to diet. The whole basis of IF is the theory of insulin resistance and how it impacts obesity. You already admitted that you were pounding the sugar and sweets. That would completely negate any benefit you were getting from IF.

All calories are not created equal. 1000 calories of protein impacts your body differently than 1000 calories of carbs.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              IF was never meant to be done with zero change to diet. The whole basis of IF is the theory of insulin resistance and how it impacts obesity. You already admitted that you were pounding the sugar and sweets. That would completely negate any benefit you were getting from IF.

All calories are not created equal. 1000 calories of protein impacts your body differently than 1000 calories of carbs.
              Since I've been keeping track of what I eat, looks like my calories are 20% protein, 40% carbs, and 40% fat.

Comment

• Down 12. Even though I've hit a plateau, tape measurements confirm I'm getting leaner.

Comment

• Way to go.
                  "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I'm basically stuck at down 10-12 and regressed badly today. We ran out of lettuce, so I ate something with more calories for lunch, my daughter brought home half a sandwich from lunch with her mother and I ate that too. And snacks. I'll have to treat tomorrow like Fast Sunday to make up for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                      I'm basically stuck at down 10-12 and regressed badly today. We ran out of lettuce, so I ate something with more calories for lunch, my daughter brought home half a sandwich from lunch with her mother and I ate that too. And snacks. I'll have to treat tomorrow like Fast Sunday to make up for it.
                      I think it's ok to regress for a day sometimes. Yesterday I had a banana split from Dairy Queen. It was to first dessert/treat in a month.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        I think it's ok to regress for a day sometimes. Yesterday I had a banana split from Dairy Queen. It was to first dessert/treat in a month.
                        Regression is great. I try for it at least daily.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Bo got me thinking pretty seriously about getting back into a uniform. Sitting 258 right now and needing to get to 186 by next February. I have run a couple calculators and I will be right up against it to get 20 good years by age 60, but it'll give me something to shoot for. I will check in every week or so to give myself some accountability. Let's see if I can get it done.
                          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                            Bo got me thinking pretty seriously about getting back into a uniform. Sitting 258 right now and needing to get to 186 by next February. I have run a couple calculators and I will be right up against it to get 20 good years by age 60, but it'll give me something to shoot for. I will check in every week or so to give myself some accountability. Let's see if I can get it done.
                            Nice!
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                              Bo got me thinking pretty seriously about getting back into a uniform. Sitting 258 right now and needing to get to 186 by next February. I have run a couple calculators and I will be right up against it to get 20 good years by age 60, but it'll give me something to shoot for. I will check in every week or so to give myself some accountability. Let's see if I can get it done.
                              You can do it! It takes plate discipline, and you'll have to ease into some exercise. I'd recommend both weights and cardio. I emphasize easing into it, because otherwise you'll hurt yourself and sabotage your plans.

Download the myfitnesspal app and start keeping track of everything you eat. You get used to eating less after a while. You just have to settle it with yourself what you're going to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                                Nice!
                                Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                You can do it! It takes plate discipline, and you'll have to ease into some exercise. I'd recommend both weights and cardio. I emphasize easing into it, because otherwise you'll hurt yourself and sabotage your plans.

Download the myfitnesspal app and start keeping track of everything you eat. You get used to eating less after a while. You just have to settle it with yourself what you're going to do.
                                Thanks for the encouragement. Do y'all suggest trying to find a slot now or waiting until I am closer to qualifying?
                                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Working...
                                X