ceiling rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceiling rack

I want to get a ceiling rack of some type to hang my tandem in the garage. Can anyone make a recommendation? The typical hooks in the ceiling aren't very practical for the tandem. Most of the pulley types I see on the interwebs look too flimsy for that bike. ANy suggestions appreciated.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Why not just build one?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      Why not just build one?
      Thats nice looking. But it doesn't get it off the floor completely, which is what I want. I also want it to be useable for one person to put it up or get it down.

In looking for a picture I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x3v85M-GTo

Now I just need to see if they have one for a tandem.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
        Thats nice looking. But it doesn't get it off the floor completely, which is what I want. I also want it to be useable for one person to put it up or get it down.

Hmmm. Which part of any of the bikes do you see touching the floor?
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I suppose I could respond by asking which part of your rack involves the ceiling? But I won't.

I want to get my car, or anything else, under it. I don't have room on the walls for hanging bikes. Thats why I ask about ceiling racks.

I really don't mean to make this a big deal. I just need to get the tandem off the floor. And up to the ceiling.

If this Eye-talian company can set one up for a tandem, that will be the answer, I think.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

These are similar to what I have. They aren't perfect, but they do the job. My main complaint is that the hooks aren't designed really well to really grab the underside of the seat. They are fine holding on to the handle bars, but they've occasionally slipped off the saddle when I was hoisting it up.

Comment

How about this? I've had a kid-sized wooden picnic table hanging up in my garage for years using it, so it's strong enough.
              https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-lift-40-2996

Comment

That's a pretty slick lift. How tall are your garage ceilings? Those ceilings look like they aren't even 8 feet tall in that video.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                  These are similar to what I have. They aren't perfect, but they do the job. My main complaint is that the hooks aren't designed really well to really grab the underside of the seat. They are fine holding on to the handle bars, but they've occasionally slipped off the saddle when I was hoisting it up.

I am a member of a tandem group that says those do not work well for tandems. Unwieldy and the hardware is often not strong enough, although mtnbikers looks sturdier than most.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                    That's a pretty slick lift. How tall are your garage ceilings? Those ceilings look like they aren't even 8 feet tall in that video.
                    According to the web site they will fit 9' ceilings which should be enough for me. But they say they are only good for about 48-50 lbs., which is not much margin for the tandem. They are also a bit pricey, unfortunately. But pretty cool.
                    Last edited by creekster; 11-05-2018, 06:14 PM.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

That’s pretty slick but unless you had a big garage you would have to have an empty bay in order to get it down or put it up.

Comment

ceiling rack

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                        That’s pretty slick but unless you had a big garage you would have to have an empty bay in order to get it down or put it up.
                        I think that’s the idea. You can park your car under it, but you’d have to back the car out to get the bike down or put it up.

The sultry looks that chick gives when she uses the rack make me think maybe it’s an aphrodisiac, so it’s got that going for it as well!

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I suppose I could respond by asking which part of your rack involves the ceiling? But I won't.

I want to get my car, or anything else, under it. I don't have room on the walls for hanging bikes. Thats why I ask about ceiling racks.

I really don't mean to make this a big deal. I just need to get the tandem off the floor. And up to the ceiling.

If this Eye-talian company can set one up for a tandem, that will be the answer, I think.
                          Maybe the part that is bolted to the ceiling.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            Maybe the part that is bolted to the ceiling.
                            You mean the 2x4s that are supports for a shelf the under side of which has hooks on it from which bikes are held against a wall?

Your structure is very nice and looks very well-built but it isn’t what I was looking for.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

This one is less... and has a "patented gas strut" for those heaver bikes!

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Gravity-...dp/B0756NS1MC/
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X