No announcement yet.

Controlling the Blue Ballfield by Superior Ball Handling : BYU @ BSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last play 8 couldn't block 4 rushers. WTH.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      same, but it's a bit easier to stomach a loss such as this with a true frosh at QB rather than a 25 year old senior. there is at least some hope.
      True. But I'm nervous we will waste another year of Wilson's eligibility figuring out Kalani is not the guy. I like our coaches a lot but there are game management and play calling issues (not to mention stupid mistakes by players) that dont seem to be getting better.

Comment

• apparently wilson said that throwing it away didn't even cross his mind. thanks, grimes, roderick, sitake!
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          apparently wilson said that throwing it away didn't even cross his mind. thanks, grimes, roderick, sitake!
          Good lord that is awful. See my post above.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
            I am numb. Still don't know what that was. Is BYU improving or did BYU just piss away their best chance of winning at Boise this decade?
            Yes, and yes.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
              Good lord that is awful. See my post above.
              Sad. Every coach on the sideline should have told him to throw it away if the slant wasn't there- five times each coach.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Just rewatched the final Katoa run that happened at 1:04 about 10 times.
                1) Saleapaga whiffs his block
                2) Saleapaga whips his legs around while whiffing his block tripping up Empey enough to not get a good block on the MLB
                3) Katoa has to juke (going back 2 yards) the DL that Saleapaga failed to block in the backfield so he doesn't get to the edge as fast as he needs to.
                4) The MLB that Empey doesn't cleanly block (see #2) gets close enough to Katoa that he doesn't cut up field soon enough.
                5) Even with #4 Katoa should have been able to not step out of bounds and score the TD. At worst get 1st and goal from the 1 yard line.
                Last edited by SCcoug; 11-03-2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                  Just rewatched the final Katoa run that happened at 1:04 about 10 times.
                  1) Saleapaga whiffs his block
                  2) Saleapaga whips his legs around while whiffing his block tripping up Empey enough to not get a good block on the MLB
                  3) Katoa has to juke (going back 2 yards) the DL that Saleapaga failed to block in the backfield so he doesn't get to the edge as fast as he needs to.
                  4) The MLB that Empey doesn't cleanly block (see #2) gets close enough to Katoa that he doesn't cut up field soon enough.
                  5) Even with #4 Katoa should have been able to not step out of bounds and score the TD. At worst get 1st and goal from the 1 yard line.
                  the last play is a total shit show.

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Game was a nice homage to the ending of Superbowl XLVII.

Gross.

Comment

• Next play, game clock is at 0:58, 2nd and 2 from the 5. Hand off to Hadley.

1) Bushman plays patty cake with the OLB letting him meet Hadley behind the LOS.
                      2) Empey pulls and gets a nice block on the MLB but runs past OLB charging up to tackle Hadley.
                      3) Hadley does a nice job to fight to get back to the LOS. He gets tackled with 0:54 remaining.
                      4) BYU inexplicable doesn't call a TO wasting about 28 seconds.

Had Bushman blocked his guy Hadley would have had to beat the Saftey to score the TD and would have probably picked up the first if he can't.

Comment

• Second Hadley run. 3rd and 2 from the 5. Ball is snapped at 0:26.

1) Bushman yet again gets owned this time by the other WOLB. OLB sets a nice edge forcing Haldey to cut upfield.
                        2) Hoge gets blown up by the NT and gets pushed into the hole Haldey runs into.
                        3) Empey and Saleapaga pull to the boundary and block the CB.
                        4) Hadley fights to get back to the LOS.
                        5) BYU calls TO with 0:15 left.

If Bushman doesn't get owned and Hadley runs to the edge there are blockers in front of him to score or pick up the first.

Way too much wasted time for this play.

Comment

• Next Zach picks up the first on a QB keeper. Clock stops at :09 to reset chains

It doesn't end up mattering because of poor clock management but BYU spiked with ball before the game clock starts back up again yet 2 seconds run off.

Last play after all the TOs is a fail from the beginning. 2 man route 8 stay back to block BSU only rushes 4.

1) Zach quickly looks left to Collie. Collie runs an out at the goal line.
                          2) Zach had should have gunned it to Shumway on the slant right after his second drop back step.
                          3) He eyes the rush as Hoge whiffs on his block right away.
                          4) Bushman whiffs on his block on the strong side after a count.
                          5) This is when you throw it away.
                          6) Instead he runs right as Shumway goes across the middle and gets tackled.

Zach did a lot of good things this game and he should grow into a good to great QB. But this should have been a game winning drive. To take it out of his hands on those clock chewing runs (especially the second Hadley run) was bizarre. Grimes needs to grow up fast as an OC or like Omaha said we're going to waste a good QB.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            Poor Pelado.
                            Yip.

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                            How many reviews have we lost counting this one?
                            All of them. Not a single review went BYU's way. At least 4-5.

Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            I couldn't believe we let the clock roll 35 seconds between plays when we could get a first down at the 3. We were managing the clock as if it was goal to go. Would have been very nice to have all four downs to use after Wilson ran for the first to the 2 yard line.
                            This.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Really disappointing to lose an important game that we were so close to winning.

This is not a moral victory post. This is a "how do I feel going forward even though I am crushed we just lost that game" post.

Going into the game, my hope was we would not be blown out. The first quarter made it look like we would be. But we put up a good fight and made it an exciting battle to the end.

This is a coaching staff trying to build a team that had fallen apart last season. This game showed signs of real progress. And if we go 6-6 this season, that will represent genuine improvement over last season. Yeah, not as much as 7-5 or 8-4 would have shown, but improvement nonetheless.

And reason to think improvement will continue. The players are young, including a huge group of promising freshmen. The offensive staff is completely new. Even Kalani has room to grow; remember, at a similar stage in his coaching career, Kyle Whittingham got blanked by UNLV 27-0.

Given the overhaul, if this season ends up being a 2005-like year, where we lose as many as we win but at least show signs of genuine progress, I'll be disappointed it wasn't better but feeling okay about the trajectory.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Good stuff, SC. I didn't rewatch anything, but on the initial, i too thought Katoa's effort was terrible on that sideline and wondered if he could have scored at the time.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X