Time Fo No Mo Holmoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Regarding #1, Bronco made it clear fairly early in his tenure that he was not a long-term coach at BYU. Could Holmoe have gone further to keep him around? Perhaps. In order to say that definitively, I think you have to have access to information to which the general public does not. Even though we've struggled the last two years, there's not a part of me that yearns for Bronco. He plateaued. It was time for both sides to move on. Kalani may not be the guy to help BYU get to the next level, but I don't think Bronco was that guy either.

Regarding #2, I think it's more likely that Rose thinks his shit don't stink than Holmoe exerting some sort of undue influence. I think this for a few reasons, not the least of which being that Holmoe seems like a very non-confrontational dude. He definitely takes his marching orders from the BOT, but I just don't see him barging into Rose's office and saying, "Get rid of the Chatman kid!"

On the other hand, I'm still a little perplexed by the Nashif exit, so maybe you're onto something.
    I have no inside info just what I think about Bronco. I think Bronco was loving life early on at BYU. He said that he wasn't long term but coaches say a lot of shit that is just coachspeak. I think Bronco hits some hiccups in the latter part of last decade when all the good recruits that Crowton left him had moved along and TCU and Utah had a couple of great years. BYU was still a good team just overshadowed by the 2008 Utes and 2009 Horned Frogs. Some of Bronco's luster came off with the fans and things got shaky. I thought, and I think latter evidence indicates, that Bronco had a good, and perhaps his best overall, recruiting class in 2010. But after a defection or two and a couple of key kids, Heaps, not developing along with Utah moving to the Pac the wheels starting coming off and Bronco just looked to me like it was a grind. When I say Holmoe giving Bronco help I am talking about Holmoe creating an atmosphere that enabled Mendenhall to be successful. Specifically, I am talking about HC and entrance requirements relief, more money for assistants and the basics that make it easier for the HC to win. My honest, with no inside info, was Mendenhall just saw his recruiting getting worse and worse each year and could see that BYU was facing such enormous external impediments to success, most due to not having BCS conference affiliation, that he knew being the HC at BYU is a suicide mission under the current arrangement. So he took a big payoff when he could and bolted. My instinct is he likely would have gone earlier but he felt he could ride Taysom Hill to a special year and perhaps leverage that for a better opportunity. While he was likely gone no matter what I think the role of the AD is to work to create an atmosphere where the coach isn't leaving because of the gap between program expectations and program potential.

As far as hoops go. My concerns are the low percentage of kids who use all 4 years of eligibility and then this year's recruiting leaves me underwhelmed.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

He plateaued. It was time for both sides to move on. Kalani may not be the guy to help BYU get to the next level, but I don't think Bronco was that guy either.
      Sometimes when you hit a flat piece of ground, you get so frustrated that it's flat you can't stop staring at the flatness and being annoyed by it. Perhaps when you look around you might notice that this particular mountain is really a mesa, and there is no next level. There are a enough other programs that have the willingness to sacrifice other virtues on the altar of winning at the next level that is likely BYU flirting with top 20 should be considered a fantastic achievement. In some cases the mesa is actually eroding and the fact that the same level is maintained should be considered a monumental feat of endurance. It's a lot easier for a large program change to give way to entropy than to exceed previous results.

Comment

I for one hope there is a guy out there that fits the bill. A successful BYU Men’s athletic program would be awesome if for no other reason than it would rekindle the rivalry.

Oh, and I hope that AD makes it his or her first order of business to swallow the school’s collective pride and get in a conference. IMO it’s the quickest way to a P-5 invite.
        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          I have no inside info just what I think about Bronco. I think Bronco was loving life early on at BYU. He said that he wasn't long term but coaches say a lot of shit that is just coachspeak. I think Bronco hits some hiccups in the latter part of last decade when all the good recruits that Crowton left him had moved along and TCU and Utah had a couple of great years. BYU was still a good team just overshadowed by the 2008 Utes and 2009 Horned Frogs. Some of Bronco's luster came off with the fans and things got shaky. I thought, and I think latter evidence indicates, that Bronco had a good, and perhaps his best overall, recruiting class in 2010. But after a defection or two and a couple of key kids, Heaps, not developing along with Utah moving to the Pac the wheels starting coming off and Bronco just looked to me like it was a grind. When I say Holmoe giving Bronco help I am talking about Holmoe creating an atmosphere that enabled Mendenhall to be successful. Specifically, I am talking about HC and entrance requirements relief, more money for assistants and the basics that make it easier for the HC to win. My honest, with no inside info, was Mendenhall just saw his recruiting getting worse and worse each year and could see that BYU was facing such enormous external impediments to success, most due to not having BCS conference affiliation, that he knew being the HC at BYU is a suicide mission under the current arrangement. So he took a big payoff when he could and bolted. My instinct is he likely would have gone earlier but he felt he could ride Taysom Hill to a special year and perhaps leverage that for a better opportunity. While he was likely gone no matter what I think the role of the AD is to work to create an atmosphere where the coach isn't leaving because of the gap between program expectations and program potential.

As far as hoops go. My concerns are the low percentage of kids who use all 4 years of eligibility and then this year's recruiting leaves me underwhelmed.
          In my limited experience with Holmoe (and it's just a quick conversation here and there), he marches in line when the ecclesiastical leaders speak. Maybe he could bow up on them a little more, but my impression is that he's a believer in their mission and that they hold the ultimate authority to make decisions for BYU. He's right, of course, but that's a BYU problem, and not a Tom Holmoe problem. My guess is that an AD who tells the BOT to let the kids "live a little" will have a short tenure at BYU.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Always interesting to me to see how fans view BYU as an institution. The sports programs are far less important to BYU's mission than most of you are willing to admit/accept.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Always interesting to me to see how fans view BYU as an institution. The sports programs are far less important to BYU's mission than most of you are willing to admit/accept.

Comment

I think everyone understands this. That is the frustrating part. The fans desires and the school desires will never be the same IRT sports.

It is the exact opposite at most schools. As a fan I hate the Honor Code. As a member of the Church I understand why we have it. But it fucks up my sports teams.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                  I think everyone understands this. That is the frustrating part. The fans desires and the school desires will never be the same IRT sports.
                  Yeah, I don't think that fact is lost on anyone here. And possibly that gap has never been wider. Good ground to explore would be whether that gap is justified, ie the apparent lack of interest the BOT has in BYU athletics. Is it a foregone conclusion? It's just the way it is? Or could it be affected by an energetic, influential AD? my answer: probably not right now but maybe yes in the future. The current administration appears to be not interested in being influenced by PR professionals, business execs, or motivated AD's. They are listening to Jesus and no one else. Maybe in the next administration.
                  Last edited by jay santos; 10-30-2018, 07:50 AM.

Comment

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      Yeah, I don't think that fact is lost on anyone here. And possibly that gap has never been wider. Good ground to explore would be whether that gap is justified, ie the apparent lack of interest the BOT has in BYU athletics. Is it a foregone conclusion? It's just the way it is? Or could it be affected by an energetic, influential AD? my answer: probably not right now but maybe yes in the future. The current administration appears to be not interested in being influenced by PR professionals, business execs, or motivated AD's. They are listening to Jesus and no one else. Maybe in the next administration.
                      I just wish Jesus cared more about what I care about.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        I just wish Jesus cared more about what I care about.
                        Amen, brother.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                          You don't remember basketball being in a worse spot than it is now? When I was attending, I remember being excited about finally getting an NIT bid.
                          yeah, hyperbole. We need to get back to the NCAA tournament this year for sure, but no one who posts here is so young to accurately say it's at it's worst in their lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                            yeah, hyperbole. We need to get back to the NCAA tournament this year for sure, but no one who posts here is so young to accurately say it's at it's worst in their lifetime.
                            I hate to say it, but it's not gonna happen.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

I hate to say it, but it's not gonna happen.
                              At least I'm glad you hate to say it.

Comment

kalani needs to go at least.

But holmoe would probably hire anae or something.

Need new leadership all around

Comment

Working...
                                X