2018 mid-term elections thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
    Someone other than the politicians that have a vested interest in the shape and makeup of the districts.

I am totally open to the possibility that I may be missing something regarding this proposition, but this seemed like the biggest no-brainer on the ballot.
    It was unless you’re a GOP apparatchik

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      Who would you prefer do the gerrymandering?
      The Libertarians, of course.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Someone other than the politicians that have a vested interest in the shape and makeup of the districts.

I am totally open to the possibility that I may be missing something regarding this proposition, but this seemed like the biggest no-brainer on the ballot.
        1) "No" voters understand that the proposition is simply a ploy by democrats to get a safe congressional seat.
        2) There is a good chance that the proposition really requires an amendment to the Utah constitution.
        3) The $1,000,000 fiscal note attached to the proposition and listed on the ballot probably hurt.
        Last edited by wapiti; 11-14-2018, 08:34 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
          1) "No" voters understand that the proposition is simply a ploy by democrats to get a safe congressional seat.
          2) There is a good chance that the proposition really requires an amendment to the Utah constitution.
          3) The $1,000,000 fiscal note attached to the proposition and listed on the ballot probably hurt.
          Isn't the status quo a ploy by Republicans to retain safe congressional seats?

Dilly Dilly

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
            I know a number of Californians that are moving to Texas, Idaho and Arizona. Not a single one that I know will tilt the scale there even a little bit from red to blue.
            Good. The stake will be relieved to hear that.

Comment

Isn't the status quo a ploy by Republicans to retain safe congressional seats?

Dilly Dilly
              Of course. But it's also the way the state constitution mandates that it be done.

Comment

• Not off to a good start...

Kyrsten Sinema reneges on her pledge to spurn Chuck Schumer

Here is candidate Kyrsten Sinema in July, on Chuck Schumer’s future as Senate minority leader: “I am not going to vote for him,” she flatly told Politco.

Well, here is Sinema on Wednesday, shortly after Schumer was re-elected Senate minority leader by acclamation. Nobody objected.
                [...]
                Not a great start, senator.

If you can't keep this rather simple and straightforward promise then....
                https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...er/2004456002/
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Love this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/o...r-the-gop.html

My party would be wise to take a step back from President Trump’s approach to politics. We should renew our commitment to tenets like environmental conservation and financial responsibility. We should run from the president’s zero-sum approach to politics.

These are not revolutionary ideas. But adhering to the simple approaches of kindness and respect, principles that have long guided society, could these days be groundbreaking.

- Mark Sanford, outgoing Republican Rep from South Carolina.

Comment

• Abandon President Trump's zero-sum approach to politics? Lolz. Give credit where credit is due. Start with Gingrich and Rove. President Trump isn't breaking new ground... just using a bulldozer instead of a ditch witch.
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• I don't like her politics, but she makes me laugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        The Libertarians, of course.
                        This is the right answer. The libertarian solution to gerrymandering is creating districts via a blinded panel. Only population is to be considered, not the past voting behavior of the communities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Have fun with your indignation. I thought you didn’t care about politicians misleading voters as evidenced by your love of Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                            This is the right answer. The libertarian solution to gerrymandering is creating districts via a blinded panel. Only population is to be considered, not the past voting behavior of the communities.
                            That’d be fine. The proposition results are still a step in the right direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                              Isn't the libertarian solution to everything "let the market decide?"

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                Have fun with your indignation. I thought you didn’t care about politicians misleading voters as evidenced by your love of Trump.
                                Love of Drumpf?... That SoB hasn't built the wall like he has promised!
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X