Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 mid-term elections thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Yes. I was shocked this didn’t get a single mention on network last night. Scotex remains intact at 100% GOP, so you’re not going to see an immediate sea change in Texas jurisprudence. But the fact that every urban court of appeals was swept by dem challengers shows where the state is headed. In my region the judges lost by double digits, and even Williamson County went blue. With three dozen electoral votes at stake, the commentators might want to take note.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Yes. I was shocked this didn’t get a single mention on network last night. Scotex remains intact at 100% GOP, so you’re not going to see an immediate sea change in Texas jurisprudence. But the fact that every urban court of appeals was swept by dem challengers shows where the state is headed. In my region the judges lost by double digits, and even Williamson County went blue. With three dozen electoral votes at stake, the commentators might want to take note.
    Why in the hell are judicial elections partisan races?

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I think one effect of the GOP increasing its hold on the Senate is that RBG is going to keep hitting the Supreme Court gym until at least late 2020.
    She might have to slow it down a bit...

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Hospitalized After Falling, Fracturing 3 Ribs

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has been hospitalized for "observation and treatment" after she fell and fractured three ribs, a court spokeswoman says.

Ginsburg, 85, fell in her office at the Supreme Court on Wednesday evening, according to the court. After "experiencing discomfort overnight," she went to a hospital on Thursday morning.

"Tests showed that she fractured three ribs on hr left side and she was admitted for observation and treatment," the statement read. "Updates will be provided as they become available."
    https://www.npr.org/2018/11/08/66559...cturing-3-ribs

Maybe she should lay off the drinking.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Pre-Historic Man

Are you reading the tea leaves that the change is ongoing or permanent? Is not a reaction of hating Trump which might be reversed?

What has changed to cause people to reject their GOP traditions?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Are you reading the tea leaves that the change is ongoing or permanent? Is not a reaction of hating Trump which might be reversed?

What has changed to cause people to reject their GOP traditions?
    changing demographics (getting younger/more Hispanic), growth of cities vs. non-growth of rural areas.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    changing demographics (getting younger/more Hispanic), growth of cities vs. non-growth of rural areas.
    Correct. Influx of Mexicans and Californians.

and more women that don't think (about themselves)...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I know a number of Californians that are moving to Texas, Idaho and Arizona. Not a single one that I know will tilt the scale there even a little bit from red to blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    and more women that don't think (about themselves)...

40% of Latino men in Texas voted for Ted Cruz. Cruz is as conservative as they come and he's not very likable. Latinos aren't even close to being some monolithic voting block -- at least obviously not in Texas and certainly not in Florida.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    40% of Latino men in Texas voted for Ted Cruz. Cruz is as conservative as they come and he's not very likable. Latinos aren't even close to being some monolithic voting block -- at least obviously not in Texas and certainly not in Florida.
    Maybe a lot of the Latinos didn't like the fact that Beto pronounces his name wrong.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    I know a number of Californians that are moving to Texas, Idaho and Arizona. Not a single one that I know will tilt the scale there even a little bit from red to blue.
    Damn you all. Stay where you belong. Damn Californians have also putrified Nevada, which is completely deep blue. We're expecting our tax rates to increase as soon as the cretins take office.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Pre-Historic Man

Maybe a lot of the Latinos didn't like the fact that Beto pronounces his name wrong.
    Robert the Irishman O'Rourke. If Beto isn't cultural misappropriation, I don't know what is.

Damn you all. Stay where you belong. Damn Californians have also putrified Nevada, which is completely deep blue. We're expecting our tax rates to increase as soon as the cretins take office.
    No, you should be good. No one I know wants to move to Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    A dead brothel owner won in Nevada.

Shot in the back of the head while fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post

Shot in the back of the head while fishing.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    No, you should be good. No one I know wants to move to Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because they are already here!!! Plus you live a decent part of the state. We're getting all those damn Angelinos.
    Last edited by Topper; 11-08-2018 at 06:32 PM.

"Look, here is a box full of ballots..."

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

and more women that don't think (about themselves)
    Guilty.

Fascinating situation here in Georgia with the Secretary of State certifying his own victory in the closely contested gubernatorial race despite thousands of outstanding votes, and then resigning (rather than recusing himself beforehand) to “prepare for the transition” to the governor’s office. I’d be shocked if the opposing candidate doesn’t get the courts involved.

Last edited by Uncle Ted; 11-09-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Sounds like Sinema ending up winning in AZ.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Arizona voters must agree that "Arizona is the meth lab of democracy." Good to know.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Go Cougars!!
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Since when do you give a shit about politicians being politically correct? Do you frequent The_Donald?
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Since when do you give a shit about politicians being politically correct? Do you frequent The_Donald?
    I agree with Sinema that Arizona is the meth lab of democracy. What is The_Donald?
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Prop 5 is currently passing by 593 votes (.06%). That is without any organized opposition.

Probably already been discussed ad-nauseum, but why would half the utah population vote for district gerrymandering by politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
    Probably already been discussed ad-nauseum, but why would half the utah population vote for district gerrymandering by politicians?
    Who would you prefer do the gerrymandering?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Who would you prefer do the gerrymandering?
    Someone other than the politicians that have a vested interest in the shape and makeup of the districts.

I am totally open to the possibility that I may be missing something regarding this proposition, but this seemed like the biggest no-brainer on the ballot.