Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 mid-term elections thread

Is it safe to assume that all criminals are GOP'ers?

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.323e8d8ea4dc

There are some really dumb people out there.

Talking about the overall popular vote is just stupid when it comes to senate races. Especially when you have a democrat running against a democrat in california and over 6 million people vote in that race.

Pre-Historic Man

It is now safe to say Nevada is a deep blue shade. All statewide GOP candidates were defeated save in the incumbent Secretary of State.

The Dems now control both houses in Carson City, the Supreme Court and the Governor's mansion, who is beholden to the unions. Nevada's days as business friendly are numbered. So Texas or Wyoming, those are looking like more friendly jurisdictions to set up shop.

The AG is anti-2d Amendment and pro-Tort law, being part of one of the most lucrative PI practices in the state.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post

Talking about the overall popular vote is just stupid when it comes to senate races. Especially when you have a democrat running against a democrat in california and over 6 million people vote in that race.
    I have this all over twitter today. Just a remarkably stupid point to make.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    People ask Trump about how he can lower the political temperature (in light of recent killings) how he can be a moral leader and how he can heal the divide in this country and he launches into a speech about how well the economy is doing.

The dude never fails to disappoint in his role as a purely materialistic, self-aggrandizing fool.
    We elected a sociopathic mob boss that save for hundreds of millions he inherited from his father would instead of in the White House, probably be in prison somewhere if he'd been born into a normal family.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    It is now safe to say Nevada is a deep blue shade. All statewide GOP candidates were defeated save in the incumbent Secretary of State.

The Dems now control both houses in Carson City, the Supreme Court and the Governor's mansion, who is beholden to the unions. Nevada's days as business friendly are numbered. So Texas or Wyoming, those are looking like more friendly jurisdictions to set up shop.

The AG is anti-2d Amendment and pro-Tort law, being part of one of the most lucrative PI practices in the state.
    I guess you could move. I've never really gotten the appeal of Nevada.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Isn't the reason they cut back the Republic of Texas was so we didn't have too many GOP'ers... stealing those red votes from Wyoming:

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

technically the presidential popular vote isn't a thing under our system either. I chuckle now when I think of the question in my 10th grade history class back in the 80s about what if the president got elected without winning the popular vote. It had happened like just a couple of times in the country's history to that point, but not for at least 100 years. The teacher said that yes it was possible but couldn't imagine that it wouldn't be changed if it happened again. And while everyone who knew the Constitution knew it could happen, the concept at the time seemed really strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    I just realized I said Barbara Boxer instead of Diane Feinstein in a couple posts above.

They're kind of the same right?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    They all look the same.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    technically the presidential popular vote isn't a thing under our system either. I chuckle now when I think of the question in my 10th grade history class back in the 80s about what if the president got elected without winning the popular vote. It had happened like just a couple of times in the country's history to that point, but not for at least 100 years. The teacher said that yes it was possible but couldn't imagine that it wouldn't be changed if it happened again. And while everyone who knew the Constitution knew it could happen, the concept at the time seemed really strange.
    Which brings up one of my favorite presidential trivia questions: Which president was elected without winning a majority of either the popular vote or the electoral college?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Which brings up one of my favorite presidential trivia questions: Which president was elected without winning a majority of either the popular vote or the electoral college?
    Off the top of my head (I did not google it)
    John Quincy Adams?

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    All the judges at the court of appeals lost due to the Beto effect. This is why the lege eliminated straight-party voting effective 2020.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by happyone View Post
    Off the top of my head (I did not google it)
    John Quincy Adams?
    Winner, winner.

Andrew Jackson won the popular vote and plurality of the electoral college. JQA won in the House of Representatives. He served a single term before Jackson was elected for real.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Winner, winner.

Andrew Jackson won the popular vote and plurality of the electoral college. JQA won in the House of Representatives. He served a single term before Jackson was elected for real.
    Now for my other favorite:

Name the only president who was never elected to either president or vice president.
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post

I voted for all dems for judge.
    Did you vote for Hidalgo too?

Name the only president who was never elected to either president or vice president.
    Gerald Ford
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Mind-blowingly stupid. The amount and depth of misunderstanding regarding our system and how and WHY it works is much more alarming to me than Trump's latest twaddle and termination of his AG.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Gerald Ford
    That one was easy - it's the first presidential election I ever voted in (I was in the LTM at the time and voted absentee)

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Gerald Ford
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...e-tapes/n10894
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Gerald Ford
    Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    Yip.
    - Goatnapper'96

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post

It's outrageous. Almost as though they deliberately designed the system to give equal say to each state, even if one state has a LOT more people in it.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

So has the dust settle on this election yet? How does it compare to the 2010 midterm? The GOP'ers gained six senate seats and 63 house seats on that one.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    So has the dust settle on this election yet? How does it compare to the 2010 midterm? The GOP'ers gained six senate seats and 63 house seats on that one.
    Democrats pick up not quite 30 house seats, which is slightly below the average number the president's party usually loses in the first midterm. Republicans pick up three senate seats, which is unusual.

Basically, unremarkable.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    Did you vote for Hidalgo too?

Probably. THere were like 100 judges to vote for. After a while I just got in a rythym with the circle wheel thing and button.

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Democrats pick up not quite 30 house seats, which is slightly below the average number the president's party usually loses in the first midterm. Republicans pick up three senate seats, which is unusual.

Basically, unremarkable.
    A fairly standard election in terms of the House, but a bit of a debacle for the Dems on the Senate side. While I realize it was a very challenging Senate map for the Democrats, they really needed to keep things at the current margins or just lose one net seat. Before Kavanaugh, the polling seemed to indicate that's what was going to happen. It goes without saying that some of the Senate seats will go the direction of the presidential election, but if Trump wins in 2020 I'm not sure what seats the Democrats pick up to prevent Trump from dealing with a Senate majority until 2022. Gardner is of course vulnerable in Colorado, but the Republicans are just going to get Alabama back in return. The Dems could pick up the open seat in AZ, but I don't see how Trump wins in states like Iowa and NC in 2020 and the voters in those states at the same time also oust their GOP Senators.

Do the Democrats try the Kavanaugh stunt with the new makeup of the Senate? Two of the possible GOP defectors remain, Collins and Murkowski. But there aren't really anymore unless McSally out in AZ turns out to be kind of like them. Even then, the Democrats would still need two more defections on a Supreme Court confirmation and where do they get them from? There were hints that Corker was on the fence, but he's gone.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I think one effect of the GOP increasing its hold on the Senate is that RBG is going to keep hitting the Supreme Court gym until at least late 2020.

Pre-Historic Man

A fairly standard election in terms of the House, but a bit of a debacle for the Dems on the Senate side. While I realize it was a very challenging Senate map for the Democrats, they really needed to keep things at the current margins or just lose one net seat. Before Kavanaugh, the polling seemed to indicate that's what was going to happen. It goes without saying that some of the Senate seats will go the direction of the presidential election, but if Trump wins in 2020 I'm not sure what seats the Democrats pick up to prevent Trump from dealing with a Senate majority until 2022. Gardner is of course vulnerable in Colorado, but the Republicans are just going to get Alabama back in return. The Dems could pick up the open seat in AZ, but I don't see how Trump wins in states like Iowa and NC in 2020 and the voters in those states at the same time also oust their GOP Senators.

Do the Democrats try the Kavanaugh stunt with the new makeup of the Senate? Two of the possible GOP defectors remain, Collins and Murkowski. But there aren't really anymore unless McSally out in AZ turns out to be kind of like them. Even then, the Democrats would still need two more defections on a Supreme Court confirmation and where do they get them from? There were hints that Corker was on the fence, but he's gone.
    I would hope they would select a female minority with some credence.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Probably. THere were like 100 judges to vote for. After a while I just got in a rythym with the circle wheel thing and button.
    Makes sense to trust a 4 billion dollar budget with someone on their first job.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I think one effect of the GOP increasing its hold on the Senate is that RBG is going to keep hitting the Supreme Court gym until at least late 2020.
    Unless she follows the example of her good friend Justice Scalia