Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2018 mid-term elections thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
    Someone other than the politicians that have a vested interest in the shape and makeup of the districts.

I am totally open to the possibility that I may be missing something regarding this proposition, but this seemed like the biggest no-brainer on the ballot.
    It was unless you’re a GOP apparatchik
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Who would you prefer do the gerrymandering?
    The Libertarians, of course.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Someone other than the politicians that have a vested interest in the shape and makeup of the districts.

I am totally open to the possibility that I may be missing something regarding this proposition, but this seemed like the biggest no-brainer on the ballot.
    1) "No" voters understand that the proposition is simply a ploy by democrats to get a safe congressional seat.
    2) There is a good chance that the proposition really requires an amendment to the Utah constitution.
    3) The $1,000,000 fiscal note attached to the proposition and listed on the ballot probably hurt.
    Last edited by wapiti; Yesterday at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    1) "No" voters understand that the proposition is simply a ploy by democrats to get a safe congressional seat.
    2) There is a good chance that the proposition really requires an amendment to the Utah constitution.
    3) The $1,000,000 fiscal note attached to the proposition and listed on the ballot probably hurt.
    Isn't the status quo a ploy by Republicans to retain safe congressional seats?

Dilly Dilly

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    I know a number of Californians that are moving to Texas, Idaho and Arizona. Not a single one that I know will tilt the scale there even a little bit from red to blue.
    Good. The stake will be relieved to hear that.

Isn't the status quo a ploy by Republicans to retain safe congressional seats?

Dilly Dilly
    Of course. But it's also the way the state constitution mandates that it be done.

Not off to a good start...

Kyrsten Sinema reneges on her pledge to spurn Chuck Schumer

Here is candidate Kyrsten Sinema in July, on Chuck Schumer’s future as Senate minority leader: “I am not going to vote for him,” she flatly told Politco.

Well, here is Sinema on Wednesday, shortly after Schumer was re-elected Senate minority leader by acclamation. Nobody objected.
    [...]
    Not a great start, senator.

If you can't keep this rather simple and straightforward promise then....
    https://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...er/2004456002/
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Love this article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/o...r-the-gop.html

My party would be wise to take a step back from President Trump’s approach to politics. We should renew our commitment to tenets like environmental conservation and financial responsibility. We should run from the president’s zero-sum approach to politics.

These are not revolutionary ideas. But adhering to the simple approaches of kindness and respect, principles that have long guided society, could these days be groundbreaking.

- Mark Sanford, outgoing Republican Rep from South Carolina.

Abandon President Trump's zero-sum approach to politics? Lolz. Give credit where credit is due. Start with Gingrich and Rove. President Trump isn't breaking new ground... just using a bulldozer instead of a ditch witch.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and Iíll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst