Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 mid-term elections thread

Didn't see one, so here we are.

Georgia likes to kick people off the voter rolls and not alert them, and of course they are disproportionately black.

Georgia’s Kemp Purged 340,134 Voters, Falsely Asserting They Had Moved

Last year, Brian Kemp, Georgia’s secretary of state canceled the registrations of over half a million Georgians because they left the state or moved to another county. Except they didn’t. The nation’s top experts in address location reviewed Kemp’s list of purged voters — and returned the names and addresses of 340,134 who never moved at all.

John Lenser, CEO of CohereOne of San Rafael, California, led the team analyzing the purge list. He concluded, “340,000 of those voters remained at their original address. They should have never been removed from the voter registration rolls.”

This is the story of the mass exodus from Georgia that never happened, and the mass purge of voters by Kemp, GOP candidate for governor, through methods guaranteed to disproportionately take away the vote from the young, the poor and voters of color.

It began five years ago, when Kemp stonewalled my first requests for information on purges in Georgia, first for Al Jazeera and Rolling Stone, now for Truthout and Democracy Now! It took my lawyer’s threat of a federal lawsuit, filed last week in Atlanta federal court, to blast the list of the electorally doomed from Kemp’s hands.

The files recorded 530,510 voters as moved from “inactive to cancelled.” We could not decode about 80,000 addresses — and discovered that 19,118 of the voters had passed away.

And the rest of the voters of this supposed mass migration?

The experts ran the names through an “advanced address hygiene process,” that is, digging through dozens — up to 200 — dynamically updated databases (such as cell phone bills and tax filings), as well as limited-access files at the post office, to get the location of voters. They accomplished this with astonishing accuracy — something the state of Georgia should have done.

The result: GregPalast.com has a list of 340,134 voters who never moved an inch. Kemp has sent them no notice — none — but they have lost their right to vote.

It wasn’t invented by Kemp. It’s used in dozens of states, mostly those controlled by Republican election chiefs.

It works like this: If you miss an election, Kemp sends you a postcard. It looks like junk mail. But if you read the block of print carefully, it asks you to return the card to Kemp after you’ve filled in the address that’s already on the front of the card.

If you don’t return the card, and you miss an election, Kemp takes out his eraser and cancels you off the registration rolls.

How can he do that? Legally savvy readers may know that the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 prohibits canceling the registration of a voter who chooses not to vote.

However, in June of this year, the Supreme Court said election officials can purge voters if they miss elections and don’t return that postcard, but only if the failure to return the postcard is a reasonable indication the voter has moved.

Kemp has steadfastly refused to look at evidence that would show a voter has not moved. (Heck, Kemp didn’t even wonder why the purged voters paid Georgia taxes if they had left the state.)
    https://truthout.org/articles/georgi...hey-had-moved/
    Last edited by frank ryan; 10-27-2018, 07:52 PM.

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

Georgia likes to kick people off the voter rolls and not alert them, and of course they are disproportionately black.

How difficult is it to re-register to vote in Georgia?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      How difficult is it to re-register to vote in Georgia?
      Problem is they don't know they'll need to until they go to vote. They'll be given provisional ballots which won't end up counting according to the article. Pretty nefarious.

Comment

Problem is they don't know they'll need to until they go to vote. They'll be given provisional ballots which won't end up counting according to the article. Pretty nefarious.
        Here people can register at the polls, so even if someone has been purged from the voter roll, they can still vote.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          Here people can register at the polls, so even if someone has been purged from the voter roll, they can still vote.
          Unfortunately it's not the case in a lot of places where these things go on.

In Georgia, and other places are fewer polling places in heavily minority areas. The SCOTUS decision on the voting rights act set the stage for some of this.
          Last edited by frank ryan; 10-28-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Strange... I wonder why they are trying to clean up their voter rolls?

Frozen machines, 243-percent turnout, and other woes in Georgia voting

A federal lawsuit alleges significant problems with voting in the Peach state.

With worn-out clichés about the dead voting, Chicago used to be the poster child for voter fraud. But if any state is a poster child for terrible election practices, it is surely Georgia. Bold claims demand bold evidence, and unfortunately there's plenty; on Monday, McClatchy reported a string of irregularities from the state's primary election in May, including one precinct with a 243-percent turnout.
            [...]
            https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-one-precinct/

Habersham County with this precinct was very red in 2016... maybe they shouldn't have purged all these voters!
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Russian hackers!!!

DqZbhe_V4AEuFzY.jpg-large.jpg

Edit: I should have know... Gov. Abbott has a fix in the works for voting a straight-ticket flipping votes. I never vote a straight-ticket personally because there isn't a Libertarian usually in every contest.
              Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-28-2018, 09:22 PM.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

OMG... So if I vote for the democrat the stock market will crash:

but if I vote for the republican the incivility will continue and "there will be blood in the streets"!

I guess I have no choice but to vote for the Libertarian!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    OMG... So if I vote for the democrat the stock market will crash:

but if I vote for the republican the incivility will continue and "there will be blood in the streets"!

I guess I have no choice but to vote for the Libertarian!

Please vote Libertarian.

Comment

Here's an interesting documentary that goes over the shenanigans the GOP engages in suppress voter turnout.

https://www.riggedthefilm.com

Comment

Here's an interesting documentary that goes over the shenanigans the GOP engages in suppress voter turnout.

My guess is that it's super unbiased. Political documentaries are the best.

Comment

That's nothing... here an article about how the GOP'er were committing voter fraud and were paid by a party leader to do it over in Cowtown:

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/p...220540115.html

Oh wait... that was the Dems.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                            My guess is that it's super unbiased. Political documentaries are the best.
                            Lol, no it's super duper partisan, but still worth viewing.
                            Last edited by frank ryan; 11-03-2018, 05:04 PM.

Comment

If I hear another person talking about how important it is to vote today, I am going to barf.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                              X