Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Tour

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour...oute-revealed/

However, ASO has reduced some key stage distances; stage 14 to the Col du Tourmalet is just 117km, stage 19 to Tignes is 123km, and stage 20 up to Val Thorens is only 131km.

"Our desire is not to make things harder but more varied," Prudhomme said. "There will be less hors catégorie cols than in previous years but there will be more second category climbs. There will be more medium mountains, where the race is harder to control, and we take full responsibility for that decision.

Probably a good move by the tour. The shorter stages seem to promote racing rather than Sky just knocking off their rivals one by one.

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour...oute-revealed/

However, ASO has reduced some key stage distances; stage 14 to the Col du Tourmalet is just 117km, stage 19 to Tignes is 123km, and stage 20 up to Val Thorens is only 131km.

"Our desire is not to make things harder but more varied," Prudhomme said. "There will be less hors catégorie cols than in previous years but there will be more second category climbs. There will be more medium mountains, where the race is harder to control, and we take full responsibility for that decision.

Probably a good move by the tour. The shorter stages seem to promote racing rather than Sky just knocking off their rivals one by one.
    I like that "we take full responsibility for that decision." Well who the heck else would have responsibility for it??

I haven't had a chance to pour over the course yet, but it looks sort of weird. No western France at all. And shorter stages, as you say, with fewer HC climbs.

But the first two stages are in Brussels to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Eddy Merckx's first Tdf victory, so thats a win. I am already thinking of going to the Grand Depart.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post

I haven't had a chance to pour over the course yet, but it looks sort of weird. No western France at all. And shorter stages, as you say, with fewer HC climbs.

But the first two stages are in Brussels to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Eddy Merckx's first Tdf victory, so thats a win. I am already thinking of going to the Grand Depart.
      I'm not sure I've ever seen a tour cut right through the middle of the country and and completely ignore one side.

Comment

Looks like some very scenic stages. I'm looking forward to seeing the Pont du Gard/Nimes stage (my focus is more on the surroundings than the race itself these days).

Comment

Working...
        X