Saudi journalist chopped to bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    No fallout for Saudi Arabia, just will not hold them accountable, just like he does with Russia. He's more concerned with our real enemies, the EU and NATO.
    The US isn't the only player on the world stage, and Trump won't be around forever. The piper will be paid--but what cost will they bear?

Comment

No fallout for Saudi Arabia, just will not hold them accountable, just like he does with Russia. He's more concerned with our real enemies, the EU and NATO.
      Ordering the murder of a reporter is a very bad thing, assuming this all to be true. I don't condone it. The individual murdered was a Saudi citizen, not a US citizen. And it was very imprudent to murder a journalist. Yet, no vital economic or strategic interest of the US was damaged or threatened, unless you consider the lack of esteem and credibility a US ally has as damage. More strangely, the Dems play into Erdrogan's hands, who is just as bad in harassing journalists as the Kingdom and seeks to gain power in that region, even though Turkey and the US have cooled relations.

But what do you want the US to do? Punish Saudi Arabia so that Saudi Arabia moves into the Russian sphere of influence who will always look the other way? The US has so few friendly alliances in that region of the world I don't understand the desire to destroy the alliance. Yes there are lots of terrorists within its boundaries, and yes its government is tyrannical.

The way I see it is that the Dems are big on damaging alliances with allies, unless it's simply to kowtow the European wishes, but don't believe in nurturing those ties which provide strategic benefits. Nobody will tout the virtue of the Saudi Royal Family. Nobody. However, sometimes pragmatism must prevail. I really don't understand the Democrats to severe the ties with Saudi Arabia.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        $17 billion in arms sales. One dead journalist ain't no thing.
        Bump.
        You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
        Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
        You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          Ordering the murder of a reporter is a very bad thing, assuming this all to be true. I don't condone it. The individual murdered was a Saudi citizen, not a US citizen. And it was very imprudent to murder a journalist. Yet, no vital economic or strategic interest of the US was damaged or threatened, unless you consider the lack of esteem and credibility a US ally has as damage. More strangely, the Dems play into Erdrogan's hands, who is just as bad in harassing journalists as the Kingdom and seeks to gain power in that region, even though Turkey and the US have cooled relations.

But what do you want the US to do? Punish Saudi Arabia so that Saudi Arabia moves into the Russian sphere of influence who will always look the other way? The US has so few friendly alliances in that region of the world I don't understand the desire to destroy the alliance. Yes there are lots of terrorists within its boundaries, and yes its government is tyrannical.

The way I see it is that the Dems are big on damaging alliances with allies, unless it's simply to kowtow the European wishes, but don't believe in nurturing those ties which provide strategic benefits. Nobody will tout the virtue of the Saudi Royal Family. Nobody. However, sometimes pragmatism must prevail. I really don't understand the Democrats to severe the ties with Saudi Arabia.
          I could use some convincing that they're truly one of our allies. #911

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post

Good lord you're a bit mixed up when it comes to foreign policy. Yeah, your criticism of "Dems" and damaging alliances is ironic, and your sudden concern about Russia's sphere of influence unconvincing. Trump damages relationships with allies, partners, neighbors and rivals alike. Trump is the one that offered to appease Turkey by illegally abducting a Green Card holder. So asserting that the Trump adminstration and Republicans are savvier than the "Dems" on the diplomatic front is moronic. Saudi Arabia is complicated, but there is nothing acceptable about them butchering a permanant resident of the US for political reasons. Ignoring is actually kowtowing.
            Last edited by frank ryan; 11-16-2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
              I could use some convincing that they're truly one of our allies. #911
              When the 911 report's Saudi details were declassified I was surprised it wasn't as talked about. Pretty bad stuff.

Comment

When the 911 report's Saudi details were declassified I was surprised it wasn't as talked about. Pretty bad stuff.
                You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                  We should stop buying Saudi Arabia oil and buy more Texas oil. Also, consider invading Venezuela. You know... to free all those poor people from that evil dictator. I am sure that basturd has a WMD or two. Those evil dictators always do. I am sure the CIA has some photos or something proving it.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                    We should stop buying Saudi Arabia oil and buy more Texas oil.

The USA already produces more oil than Saudi Arabia.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Good lord you're a bit mixed up when it comes to foreign policy. Yeah, your criticism of "Dems" and damaging alliances is ironic, and your sudden concern about Russia's sphere of influence unconvincing. Trump damages relationships with allies, partners, neighbors and rivals alike. Trump is the one that offered to appease Turkey by illegally abducting a Green Card holder. So asserting that the Trump adminstration and Republicans are savvier than the "Dems" on the diplomatic front is moronic. Saudi Arabia is complicated, but there is nothing acceptable about them butchering a permanant resident of the US for political reasons. Ignoring is actually kowtowing.
                      Great what about. You trying to outTed Ted?

Nowhere did I speak well of Trump but the Dems hate him so much they are determined to sink the economy and to drive Saudi Arabia into Russia’s sphere of influence just to spite Trump and gain power.

You were cheering Obama as he ridiculed Mitt on Russia.

I already stated the murder was wrong but what do we do with allies who do wrong things? You dodged the question. And deflected.
                      Last edited by Topper; 11-17-2018, 09:10 AM.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Having invested many billions of dollars in U.S. weaponry systems, the Saudis aren't going to suddenly switch over to Russian armaments as the cost of such a switch would devastate the Saudis' already precarious economic outlook. But I wonder if Trump has the huevos to take a stand against a despot who ordered the murder of a U.S. permanent resident. Is Trump ready to jeopardize the millions he has made, and can expect to make, from Saudi interests in his properties.

Comment

• These takes about how only Trump benefits from the SA/USA oil/weapon sales are a sight to behold.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            We should stop buying Saudi Arabia oil and buy more Texas oil. Also, consider invading Venezuela. You know... to free all those poor people from that evil dictator. I am sure that basturd has a WMD or two. Those evil dictators always do. I am sure the CIA has some photos or something proving it.
                            Venezuelans are also brown... so A-OK to drone them. Also, the money made from the oil sales will pay for our military costs. Win/win.

Comment

• Senate refuses to stop arms sale to Saudi-allied Bahrain, rejecting a proxy effort to end war in Yemen

The Senate on Thursday voted against an effort to block an arms sale to Bahrain — pitched by backers as a means of forcing the island nation to stop participating in the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen.

It was shot down by a majority of senators over concerns it would expose the United States to greater dangers in the Persian Gulf region.

Only 21 senators voted in support of the effort to end the arms sale, suggesting that while lawmakers are increasingly eager to punish Saudi Arabia over the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributing columnist, most are not prepared to risk the United States’ relations with other Saudi allies over the conflict.
                              If only Trump had the "juevos" to end this madness!

There only is one person in Washington that has any juevos.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                Having invested many billions of dollars in U.S. weaponry systems, the Saudis aren't going to suddenly switch over to Russian armaments as the cost of such a switch would devastate the Saudis' already precarious economic outlook. But I wonder if Trump has the huevos to take a stand against a despot who ordered the murder of a U.S. permanent resident. Is Trump ready to jeopardize the millions he has made, and can expect to make, from Saudi interests in his properties.
                                Okay, what is your solution? Do we undermine the Royal Prince's authority for what has been a somewhat reliable ally in an unstable region?

You're betting the cost of switching keeps them in our camp, but they could slacken intelligence if they feel threatened. What's a Realpolitik? Everybody wants us to punish an oppressive ally for the murder of its own citizen.

Comment

Working...
                                X