No announcement yet.

Saudi journalist chopped to bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah sounds like there was no interrogation at all. They just wanted the guy disappeared and couldn't do it as easy outside of SA so the consulate was the next-best place. Whoops!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
      The U.S. has a symbiotic relationship with its LPRs as well as its citizens. They are entitled to protections from the government they uphold, and could seek assistance from our government abroad if they needed it, just like a naturalized or natural born citizen could. He's one of us, period.
      Thanks for the response. I'll admit - I don't totally get it. I mean, I get that this is the "next step" to citizenship. And I'm not saying we should just not care about this sort of thing happening. I'm still stuck a little on the US "obligation" to people in that circumstance versus the obligation of the international community at large.

Maybe this is a fine line that makes little to no sense to you - but I feel like I'd be more agreeable on it if he had applied for citizenship and was in the process (and maybe he had/was), versus I know that there are some people who apply for residency but never intend to apply for citizenship. Typically because they are intent on retaining citizenship in their country of origin.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        Thanks for the response. I'll admit - I don't totally get it. I mean, I get that this is the "next step" to citizenship. And I'm not saying we should just not care about this sort of thing happening. I'm still stuck a little on the US "obligation" to people in that circumstance versus the obligation of the international community at large.

Maybe this is a fine line that makes little to no sense to you - but I feel like I'd be more agreeable on it if he had applied for citizenship and was in the process (and maybe he had/was), versus I know that there are some people who apply for residency but never intend to apply for citizenship. Typically because they are intent on retaining citizenship in their country of origin.
        Maybe bc you don't really fathom how incredibly difficult it typically is to get residency. It's an almost impossibly high hurdle that impedes the vast majority of people from ever having any status here in the U.S. or becoming a citizen. Applying for your stupid citizenship is like getting new driver's license. And that reason you cite of people wanting to retain citizenship in their country of origin is very mythical. Of course they will always be citizens of their country of origin (except in limited circumstances where the home country doesn't allow them to do that.). I regularly counsel naturalized citizens to keep their passports up to date from their country of origin b/c they come in handy when traveling in that country.

And again- LPRs are tax payers, employees, employers, students, and reside here with every other relevant tie to the U.S. that naturalized citizens can demonstrate except a certificate of naturalization.
        Last edited by Commando; 10-17-2018, 02:16 PM.
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Can LPRs vote?
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            Can LPRs vote?
            They can't. My mom was one of those once. I remember when I was 9 or 10 being allowed to leave early from school one day so we could go to the courthouse to watch her take her oath of citizenship. That happened almost 15 years after she entered the country as a legal immigrant. Working through the paperwork in her country took a couple of years. Unfortunately, IMO, that was easy back then compared to what the process for coming legally can be like today, from what I've heard from others going through it and from those like Commando. My sister in law also works in immigration law. And I have another sister in law who is a federal prosecutor. At one time she worked on cases involving illegal immigrants from the side of sending them back. Even she thought the laws were dumb.
            Last edited by BlueK; 10-17-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              Can LPRs vote?
              Yeah, if they live in California.
              Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-17-2018, 03:21 PM.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                or if they vote against trump. That's the only explanation for him not winning the popular vote.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                  or if they vote against trump. That's the only explanation for him not winning the popular vote.

Comment

They can't. My mom was one of those once. I remember when I was 9 or 10 being allowed to leave early from school one day so we could go to the courthouse to watch her take her oath of citizenship. That happened almost 15 years after she entered the country as a legal immigrant. Working through the paperwork in her country took a couple of years. Unfortunately, IMO, that was easy back then compared to what the process for coming legally can be like today, from what I've heard from others going through it and from those like Commando. My sister in law also works in immigration law. And I have another sister in law who is a federal prosecutor. At one time she worked on cases involving illegal immigrants from the side of sending them back. Even she thought the laws were dumb.
                    Thanks to our brilliant current administration, processing times are doubling and tripling, depending on the application (e.g. in one basis of residency that I routinely work in, processing times have gone from 5 months to 2 years just in the last three years for no good reason-- there's no quotas that are clearing, etc. Work permit renewals have gone from 2-3 months to 7-9 months-- and they have to be renewed every year. Seriously f*k this administration if I haven't made that clear before). Funds are being drained from USCIS (and FEMA for that matter) and funneled into ICE for no reason other than to back up some dumb off-the-cuff campaign promises that have no basis in practicality or reality.
                    Last edited by Commando; 10-17-2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      Maybe bc you don't really fathom how incredibly difficult it typically is to get residency. It's an almost impossibly high hurdle that impedes the vast majority of people from ever having any status here in the U.S. or becoming a citizen. Applying for your stupid citizenship is like getting new driver's license. And that reason you cite of people wanting to retain citizenship in their country of origin is very mythical. Of course they will always be citizens of their country of origin (except in limited circumstances where the home country doesn't allow them to do that.). I regularly counsel naturalized citizens to keep their passports up to date from their country of origin b/c they come in handy when traveling in that country.

And again- LPRs are tax payers, employees, employers, students, and reside here with every other relevant tie to the U.S. that naturalized citizens can demonstrate except a certificate of naturalization.
                      What do you mean by "stupid citizenship" in the above quote?
                      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                        Didn't you know? There are different classes of citizenship.

Stupid Citizens have all of the rights of regular citizens, but their votes only count for .5.

If you are designated a Smart Citizen, your vote counts for 1.5 to make up the difference for all the stupid people voting.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          Didn't you know? There are different classes of citizenship.

Stupid Citizens have all of the rights of regular citizens, but their votes only count for .5.

If you are designated a Smart Citizen, your vote counts for 1.5 to make up the difference for all the stupid people voting.
                          Like this?
                          https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/no...erican-voters/

maybe just a voter registration law would work better.
                          Last edited by BlueK; 10-17-2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

funny that even Ted isn't buying the Saudi/Trump explanation.
                            Yeah, we should stop buying Saudi Arabia's oil... and buy Russian oil instead. That will show them!
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                              Commando is extra salty lately about everything. Bless his heart.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Like this?
                                https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/no...erican-voters/

maybe just a voter registration law would work better.
                                So does google maps know how to find someone's home given a just PO box number? That might be important say for 911 services.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X