Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 148

Thread: Saudi journalist chopped to bits

  1. #31
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Lol, knock it off. Trump’s response is not normal. The rogue killer stuff sounds like OJ searching for the Colombians, and Trump’s muted reaction to what happened in the UK the attempted assassinations was in stark contrast to how our closest allies spoke out. Previous presidents wouldn’t act in the same manner.
    No they wouldn't but they would likely not do a lot about it either is kind of the point. While the words and non-verbal cues from Trump are out of the norm the fundamental policy towards the Saudi's has been status quo for a very long time.

    Saying that I do think that Trump's actions as the US President wrt being more pro-oil bizness will facilitate conditions where the Saudi's ruling oligarchs behavior will not be as glossed over and that the day will come will the US will take action against them.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  2. #32
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post
    He is a resident of the US with a green card.
    That's a redundancy. A green card holder is a Lawful Permanent Resident and a requirement is that you work and reside in the U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency is the stage from which you apply for citizenship. He's not just some foreigner- he's a U.S. journalist.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  3. #33
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Lol, knock it off. Trump’s response is not normal. The rogue killer stuff sounds like OJ searching for the Colombians, and Trump’s muted reaction to what happened in the UK the attempted assassinations was in stark contrast to how our closest allies spoke out. Previous presidents wouldn’t act in the same manner.
    I never said Trump's reaction is normal (nothing Trump does is normal compared to previous presidents). My point is more broad - BlueK sees everything that Trump does as suspect, sinister and corrupt. He is incapable of objective analysis of anything Trump does. Trump goggles.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  4. #34
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    That's a redundancy. A green card holder is a Lawful Permanent Resident and a requirement is that you work and reside in the U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency is the stage from which you apply for citizenship. He's not just some foreigner- he's a U.S. journalist.
    I still don’t think this answers the original question.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    I never said Trump's reaction is normal (nothing Trump does is normal compared to previous presidents). My point is more broad - BlueK sees everything that Trump does as suspect, sinister and corrupt. He is incapable of objective analysis of anything Trump does. Trump goggles.
    Give me a break. If someone else said the same thing I did you're ok with it, but you're not this time because I'm the one who said it? LOL.
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-17-2018 at 11:34 AM.

  6. #36
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Give me a break. If someone else said the same thing I did you're ok with it, but you're not this time because I'm the one who said it? LOL.
    We are not talking about one thing you've said. We are talking about all the things you say. Your thing on this board used to be BYU basketball. Now its just Trump, 24/7. Which is fine, discuss what you like. I'm just commenting on your particular slant. Its not objective.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    No they wouldn't but they would likely not do a lot about it either is kind of the point. While the words and non-verbal cues from Trump are out of the norm the fundamental policy towards the Saudi's has been status quo for a very long time.

    Saying that I do think that Trump's actions as the US President wrt being more pro-oil bizness will facilitate conditions where the Saudi's ruling oligarchs behavior will not be as glossed over and that the day will come will the US will take action against them.
    I don't remember the Saudis doing something this brazen before. Maybe they have.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    We are not talking about one thing you've said. We are talking about all the things you say. Your thing on this board used to be BYU basketball. Now its just Trump, 24/7. Which is fine, discuss what you like. I'm just commenting on your particular slant. Its not objective.
    Is anyone in America "objective" about Trump the way you're trying to define it?

    You don't seem to be either here because while you're not addressing anything I said about this particular incident, you seem to be running interference by trying to change the subject to me not being objective about Trump.

    Of course I don't like him. So what? I find the apparent murder that happened and Trump's reaction to it to be troubling. Not liking Trump in general has nothing to do with that. I don't see how any normal person wouldn't find the Saudi actions appalling, no matter under which president's watch it might have happened. And a lot of people are struggling with Trump's reaction to it, including several GOP members of Congress.
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-17-2018 at 11:50 AM.

  9. #39
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Is anyone in America "objective" about Trump the way you're trying to define it?

    You don't seem to be either here because while you're not addressing anything I said about this particular incident, you seem to be running interference by trying to change the subject to me not being objective about Trump.

    Of course I don't like him. So what? I find the apparent murder that happened and Trump's reaction to it to be troubling. Not liking Trump in general has nothing to do with that. A lot of people are struggling with it, including GOP members of Congress.
    Ok.

    Quick, Mr. Trump, out the back door while BlueK is distracted!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  10. #40
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I still don’t think this answers the original question.
    The U.S. has a symbiotic relationship with its LPRs as well as its citizens. They are entitled to protections from the government they uphold, and could seek assistance from our government abroad if they needed it, just like a naturalized or natural born citizen could. He's one of us, period.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Ok.

    Quick, Mr. Trump, out the back door while BlueK is distracted!
    I'm not who you are trying to distract.

    And I'm not objective about BYU basketball either, so you can have a problem with what I say on that as well if you want.

  12. #42
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,492

    Default

    I'm not trying to change who you are BlueK! Just keep doing you. I don't have a problem with any of your posts.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  13. #43
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I don't remember the Saudis doing something this brazen before. Maybe they have.
    Well as you pointed out they were pretty complicit in that whole 9/11 thing.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    Well as you pointed out they were pretty complicit in that whole 9/11 thing.
    I think in 9/11 they were probably complicit or knew about it and did nothing to stop it, although it was ordered and directed by Bin Laden while sitting in Afghanistan. In this case it appears to have been directly ordered from the top of the Saudi government.
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-17-2018 at 01:18 PM.

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    It was just maybe a mistake...

    Saudis May Admit Khashoggi Was Killed in Interrogation by Mistake

    When you are interrogating with a bone saw sometimes you may slip and accidentally cut someone.
    funny that even Ted isn't buying the Saudi/Trump explanation.

  16. #46
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,241

    Default

    Yeah sounds like there was no interrogation at all. They just wanted the guy disappeared and couldn't do it as easy outside of SA so the consulate was the next-best place. Whoops!
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  17. #47
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    6,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    The U.S. has a symbiotic relationship with its LPRs as well as its citizens. They are entitled to protections from the government they uphold, and could seek assistance from our government abroad if they needed it, just like a naturalized or natural born citizen could. He's one of us, period.
    Thanks for the response. I'll admit - I don't totally get it. I mean, I get that this is the "next step" to citizenship. And I'm not saying we should just not care about this sort of thing happening. I'm still stuck a little on the US "obligation" to people in that circumstance versus the obligation of the international community at large.

    Maybe this is a fine line that makes little to no sense to you - but I feel like I'd be more agreeable on it if he had applied for citizenship and was in the process (and maybe he had/was), versus I know that there are some people who apply for residency but never intend to apply for citizenship. Typically because they are intent on retaining citizenship in their country of origin.

  18. #48
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Thanks for the response. I'll admit - I don't totally get it. I mean, I get that this is the "next step" to citizenship. And I'm not saying we should just not care about this sort of thing happening. I'm still stuck a little on the US "obligation" to people in that circumstance versus the obligation of the international community at large.

    Maybe this is a fine line that makes little to no sense to you - but I feel like I'd be more agreeable on it if he had applied for citizenship and was in the process (and maybe he had/was), versus I know that there are some people who apply for residency but never intend to apply for citizenship. Typically because they are intent on retaining citizenship in their country of origin.
    Maybe bc you don't really fathom how incredibly difficult it typically is to get residency. It's an almost impossibly high hurdle that impedes the vast majority of people from ever having any status here in the U.S. or becoming a citizen. Applying for your stupid citizenship is like getting new driver's license. And that reason you cite of people wanting to retain citizenship in their country of origin is very mythical. Of course they will always be citizens of their country of origin (except in limited circumstances where the home country doesn't allow them to do that.). I regularly counsel naturalized citizens to keep their passports up to date from their country of origin b/c they come in handy when traveling in that country.

    And again- LPRs are tax payers, employees, employers, students, and reside here with every other relevant tie to the U.S. that naturalized citizens can demonstrate except a certificate of naturalization.
    Last edited by Commando; 10-17-2018 at 03:16 PM.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  19. #49
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,872

    Default

    Can LPRs vote?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  20. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Can LPRs vote?
    They can't. My mom was one of those once. I remember when I was 9 or 10 being allowed to leave early from school one day so we could go to the courthouse to watch her take her oath of citizenship. That happened almost 15 years after she entered the country as a legal immigrant. Working through the paperwork in her country took a couple of years. Unfortunately, IMO, that was easy back then compared to what the process for coming legally can be like today, from what I've heard from others going through it and from those like Commando. My sister in law also works in immigration law. And I have another sister in law who is a federal prosecutor. At one time she worked on cases involving illegal immigrants from the side of sending them back. Even she thought the laws were dumb.
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-17-2018 at 03:37 PM.

  21. #51
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Can LPRs vote?
    Yeah, if they live in California.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 10-17-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  22. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    or if they vote against trump. That's the only explanation for him not winning the popular vote.

  23. #53
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    or if they vote against trump. That's the only explanation for him not winning the popular vote.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  24. #54
    Explosivo Commando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    15,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    They can't. My mom was one of those once. I remember when I was 9 or 10 being allowed to leave early from school one day so we could go to the courthouse to watch her take her oath of citizenship. That happened almost 15 years after she entered the country as a legal immigrant. Working through the paperwork in her country took a couple of years. Unfortunately, IMO, that was easy back then compared to what the process for coming legally can be like today, from what I've heard from others going through it and from those like Commando. My sister in law also works in immigration law. And I have another sister in law who is a federal prosecutor. At one time she worked on cases involving illegal immigrants from the side of sending them back. Even she thought the laws were dumb.
    Thanks to our brilliant current administration, processing times are doubling and tripling, depending on the application (e.g. in one basis of residency that I routinely work in, processing times have gone from 5 months to 2 years just in the last three years for no good reason-- there's no quotas that are clearing, etc. Work permit renewals have gone from 2-3 months to 7-9 months-- and they have to be renewed every year. Seriously f*k this administration if I haven't made that clear before). Funds are being drained from USCIS (and FEMA for that matter) and funneled into ICE for no reason other than to back up some dumb off-the-cuff campaign promises that have no basis in practicality or reality.
    Last edited by Commando; 10-17-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

  25. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Maybe bc you don't really fathom how incredibly difficult it typically is to get residency. It's an almost impossibly high hurdle that impedes the vast majority of people from ever having any status here in the U.S. or becoming a citizen. Applying for your stupid citizenship is like getting new driver's license. And that reason you cite of people wanting to retain citizenship in their country of origin is very mythical. Of course they will always be citizens of their country of origin (except in limited circumstances where the home country doesn't allow them to do that.). I regularly counsel naturalized citizens to keep their passports up to date from their country of origin b/c they come in handy when traveling in that country.

    And again- LPRs are tax payers, employees, employers, students, and reside here with every other relevant tie to the U.S. that naturalized citizens can demonstrate except a certificate of naturalization.
    What do you mean by "stupid citizenship" in the above quote?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

  26. #56
    Senior Member Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Davis County
    Posts
    6,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    What do you mean by "stupid citizenship" in the above quote?
    Didn't you know? There are different classes of citizenship.

    Stupid Citizens have all of the rights of regular citizens, but their votes only count for .5.

    If you are designated a Smart Citizen, your vote counts for 1.5 to make up the difference for all the stupid people voting.

  27. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Didn't you know? There are different classes of citizenship.

    Stupid Citizens have all of the rights of regular citizens, but their votes only count for .5.

    If you are designated a Smart Citizen, your vote counts for 1.5 to make up the difference for all the stupid people voting.
    Like this?
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/no...erican-voters/

    maybe just a voter registration law would work better.
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-17-2018 at 05:32 PM.

  28. #58
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    funny that even Ted isn't buying the Saudi/Trump explanation.
    Yeah, we should stop buying Saudi Arabia's oil... and buy Russian oil instead. That will show them!
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  29. #59
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    What do you mean by "stupid citizenship" in the above quote?
    Commando is extra salty lately about everything. Bless his heart.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  30. #60
    𐐐𐐄𐐢𐐆𐐤𐐝 𐐓𐐅 𐐜 𐐢𐐃𐐡𐐔 Uncle Ted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Where ∑ ★ = 1
    Posts
    19,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Like this?
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/no...erican-voters/

    maybe just a voter registration law would work better.
    So does google maps know how to find someone's home given a just PO box number? That might be important say for 911 services.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •