Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The official Zach Wilson thread - Best Ever QB in World History

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    He can stumble and bumble all game long as long as we win.
    Just win, baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Just win, baby!
    I thought we decided he was not a baby, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    If that is the worst thing he did, it was an impressive start.

I expect him to make lots of freshman mistakes along the way.
    Not the worst thing he did.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Zach Wilson could very easily be 3-0 as a starter. instead he's sitting at 1-2. such a frustrating team.

i like Wilson, have been impressed by what i've seen, but that performance vs Boise exceeded all of my expectations for him on the road against a very good defense. and i put very, very, little blame, if any, on his shoulders for that debacle on what was ultimately (but didn't have to be) the last play of the game.
    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 11-05-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Zach Wilson could very easily be 3-0 as a starter. instead he's sitting at 1-2. such a frustrating team.

i like Wilson, have been impressed by what i've seen, but that performance vs Boise exceeded all of my expectations for him on the road against a very good defense. and i put very, very, little blame, if any, on his shoulders for that debacle on what was ultimately (but didn't have to be) the last play of the game.
    Zachs Pass efficiency is 144 right now. I would expect that to rise with the next 2 opponents. BYU has not had a qb over 150 since Max Hall in 2009. Tanners best season was his freshman year where he was at 136, his career is 115.Taysoms best season was 141 but he only played 4 games, his career was 121.

Tanner had 182 attempts this year for 1082 yards and 5 tds (3ints), completed 61% of his passes even as captain checkdown.

Zach has 80 attempts so far for 780 yards and 4 tds (2ints) completing 64% of his passes.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Zachs Pass efficiency is 144 right now. I would expect that to rise with the next 2 opponents. BYU has not had a qb over 150 since Max Hall in 2009. Tanners best season was his freshman year where he was at 136, his career is 115.Taysoms best season was 141 but he only played 4 games, his career was 121.

Tanner had 182 attempts this year for 1082 yards and 5 tds (3ints), completed 61% of his passes even as captain checkdown.

Zach has 80 attempts so far for 780 yards and 4 tds (2ints) completing 64% of his passes.
    those are crazy stats considering we are talking about a 25 year old senior and a true freshman.

also, i heard/read somewhere that the three highest yards per completion of the season for byu QBs have come in Wilson's three starts.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

I used to be all over this stuff, but my knowledge has faded. Do they still use the same pass efficiency formula? Back in the day, 160 would be tops in the NCAA, in fact I think it was in the running for best season ever. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong. I just looked and there are two QB's over 200, 160 doesn't even make top 10, and 144 which seems like it used to be borderline top 10 in nation level, doesn't even put you in the top 40.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I used to be all over this stuff, but my knowledge has faded. Do they still use the same pass efficiency formula? Back in the day, 160 would be tops in the NCAA, in fact I think it was in the running for best season ever. Or maybe I'm remembering wrong. I just looked and there are two QB's over 200, 160 doesn't even make top 10, and 144 which seems like it used to be borderline top 10 in nation level, doesn't even put you in the top 40.
    Detmer's best season was 175 which i think was a record at the time. Next best was 168. Baker Mayfield's last two seasons were 196 and 198 which were both records. His sophomore season at OU was 173.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Grimes saying Wilson was definitely told to throw it away if it wasn't there - apparently had the next play ready to go. So apparently he is to blame there, but doesn't change how i feel about the kid going forward. lot of optimism for ZW's future.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Grimes saying Wilson was definitely told to throw it away if it wasn't there - apparently had the next play ready to go. So apparently he is to blame there, but doesn't change how i feel about the kid going forward. lot of optimism for ZW's future.
    My biggest, and perhaps only, complaint about Wilson so far is that he doesn't throw it away. Several of the sacks he took on Saturday were his fault for not getting rid of the ball. Having said that, it's a symptom of a young QB trying to be aggressive and make plays. Mangum was great at throwing it away.

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    My biggest, and perhaps only, complaint about Wilson so far is that he doesn't throw it away. Several of the sacks he took on Saturday were his fault for not getting rid of the ball. Having said that, it's a symptom of a young QB trying to be aggressive and make plays. Mangum was great at throwing it away.
    yeah, there is a middle ground there somewhere and he'll need to find that. you definitely like the general attitude of trying to make plays and i would hate to take that away (you don't want the mangum extreme), but sacks can be killers and 7 is too many - though the Oline has to be better as well.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Good stuff.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Love the new thread title!!

I’m on the Zach train. Dude is a stud and I love that we get him for the next couple years.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    Thank you. My knowledge is kind of stuck in the late 90's, early 00's. Compared to then, pass rating has definitely trended up. Great has moved from 150 to 160 and good has moved from about maybe 130 to 145.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    this is interesting, but i will point out that the current season isn't over - it skews the end of the graph a bit. Currently, Kyler Murray and Tua Tagovailoa are at 216 and 215 respectively. however, the last three weeks Tua's PER has been below his current mark and Murray is coming off a 160 rating game. IOW, while those guys are almost literally off the charts currently, i'd be surprised if they can keep up that pace as remarkable as they have each been this year.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

I'm all in on Zach. I love him more than Andre Ware.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Thank you. My knowledge is kind of stuck in the late 90's, early 00's. Compared to then, pass rating has definitely trended up. Great has moved from 150 to 160 and good has moved from about maybe 130 to 145.
    this reminds me of a stat pet peeve i have. guys who should know better, for example Mike Golic, Kyle Gunther or Hans Olsen who don't understand the difference between NFL standards and college standards. I've heard each of these guys mention 5+ ypc for RBs being very good for college running backs. 5 ypc would put you at 130th in the country among qualified running backs - there are only 126 D1 teams. to be considered good, you want to be at at least about 6+ which would put you near the top 50 in the country. by comparison, there are 9 qualified in the NFL who average 5+. that is a very good average in the NFL, not so much in college.
    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 11-05-2018 at 01:01 PM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    andre ware is certainly taken by young zachsry
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Yep ZW is awesome.

He is decisive, accurate, mobile, throws a catchable ball. He needs to throw the ball away instead of taking sacks and needs some better play-calling and that’s about it. I’m all in!