The official Zach Wilson thread - Best Ever QB in World History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
    I'm not ready to crown Wilson yet. A lot of it was poor reaction to field developments by UH. Rollo was a decent QB but not the brightest of coaches, apparently. But the next game is a good one to cut his teeth on.
    ^^^^

Hawaii is just as unproven. I mean I'm glad we executed plays, but the fandom needs to slow its roll.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      I'm not ready to crown Wilson yet. A lot of it was poor reaction to field developments by UH. Rollo was a decent QB but not the brightest of coaches, apparently. But the next game is a good one to cut his teeth on.
      Originally posted by Commando View Post
      ^^^^

Hawaii is just as unproven. I mean I'm glad we executed plays, but the fandom needs to slow its roll.
      Relax, you two. I already toned down the thread title!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Some reasons I'm on the Zach Wilson Express:

* Other than his INT (and the throw right before it), he was smart with the ball. There were times he was flushed from the pocket and could have made an ill-advised throw, but opted to head out of bounds.

* With a few exceptions, he was accurate when he needed to be. His TD to Romney was something we just haven't seen from BYU QBs since Hall (although Heaps and Xtian Stewart both had their moments): hitting an open receiver that is double covered in stride with touch and accuracy. Under pressure he was a little off, and there was one throw to Bushman that was a head scratcher.

* Neither his arm nor his legs are legendary, but they both will keep the defenses honest. The backers and safeties have to respect his ability to throw downfield and pick up a first down on the ground. If ZW starts against USU, I don't know that we win, but I'm pretty sure we don't get blown out by 25 (or whatever it was).

Will he have some bumps in the road? Of course. If we can keep our fanbase from devouring him, and he keeps doing his thing in practice and the film room, he has top-10 all time BYU QB potential.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Relax, you two. I already toned down the thread title!
          Hey!!!

OK, who is the wise guy?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Hey!!!

OK, who is the wise guy?

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              Some reasons I'm on the Zach Wilson Express:

* Other than his INT (and the throw right before it), he was smart with the ball. There were times he was flushed from the pocket and could have made an ill-advised throw, but opted to head out of bounds.

* With a few exceptions, he was accurate when he needed to be. His TD to Romney was something we just haven't seen from BYU QBs since Hall (although Heaps and Xtian Stewart both had their moments): hitting an open receiver that is double covered in stride with touch and accuracy. Under pressure he was a little off, and there was one throw to Bushman that was a head scratcher.

* Neither his arm nor his legs are legendary, but they both will keep the defenses honest. The backers and safeties have to respect his ability to throw downfield and pick up a first down on the ground. If ZW starts against USU, I don't know that we win, but I'm pretty sure we don't get blown out by 25 (or whatever it was).

Will he have some bumps in the road? Of course. If we can keep our fanbase from devouring him, and he keeps doing his thing in practice and the film room, he has top-10 all time BYU QB potential.
              The problem is that he actually went out of bounds. Running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage is about the same as a sack. Better to throw the ball into the stands than take an out of bounds sack.

I agree with your other points.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                The problem is that he actually went out of bounds. Running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage is about the same as a sack. Better to throw the ball into the stands than take an out of bounds sack.

It is the same as a sack. That's how it is officially recorded.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                  He was #8, but he was much better in the pros than college. Although I thoroughly enjoyed reminiscing about the play by play of his victory over Donahue, Steve Bono and Kenny Eisley at the Rose Bowl with my brothers at the UCLA-UW game a week ago as we sat not to far from our seats there in '83. Nothing has changed at the Rose Bowl in the ensuing 35 years either. What a hole.
                  Goat, I refuse to believe that in the hidden chambers of your BYU soul you don't recognize him as one of the BYU greats (independent of his NFL career).
                  + SY's senior season is statistically one of the greatest BYU passing seassons of all time
                  + The visibility that came with the win at UCLA and going on to finish (I think) in the top 10 were crucial in setting the stage for the natty run the next year
                  + I believe he still holds the record for BYU's all time completion percentage in a single season (unless Beck broke it in 2006)

Please reconsider this prayerfully.

And hey everybody.
                  Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
                    Goat, I refuse to believe that in the hidden chambers of your BYU soul you don't recognize him as one of the BYU greats (independent of his NFL career).
                    + SY's senior season is statistically one of the greatest BYU passing seassons of all time
                    + The visibility that came with the win at UCLA and going on to finish (I think) in the top 10 were crucial in setting the stage for the natty run the next year
                    + I believe he still holds the record for BYU's all time completion percentage in a single season (unless Beck broke it in 2006)

And hey everybody.
                    Solid return.

Comment

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post

And hey everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

my question - everybody in the stands was saying the same thing, it's an easy correction. after the first time he did it, why isn't a coach in his ear telling him to throw it out of bounds? and if the coach is in his ear telling him to throw it out of bounds, why is he completely ignoring his coaches? it's not as if it's hard to do.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          my question - everybody in the stands was saying the same thing, it's an easy correction. after the first time he did it, why isn't a coach in his ear telling him to throw it out of bounds? and if the coach is in his ear telling him to throw it out of bounds, why is he completely ignoring his coaches? it's not as if it's hard to do.
                          I'll go back and look, but it all depends on where the defenders are. It takes time to wind up and throw, and may not be worth the risk of getting hit. I'm not at all concerned about it. At least one of the instances was on 3rd down with a sizable lead, and I just don't think folks should be getting uptight about punting from a yard or two deeper, but that's just me.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            It is the same as a sack. That's how it is officially recorded.
                            This tendency of his was something that really bugged me during the game but I never brought it up b/c I didn't want to be perceived as petty.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                              This tendency of his was something that really bugged me during the game but I never brought it up b/c I didn't want to be perceived as petty.
                              If that is the worst thing he did, it was an impressive start.

I expect him to make lots of freshman mistakes along the way.

Comment

He can stumble and bumble all game long as long as we win.

Comment

Working...
                                X