Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MLB 2018 Playoffs

You go to the pen hard but leave the best reliever the dodgers have on the bench. Baez would have been the much better choice over Floro. Hell, I wanted Baez to have a two inning save over Jansen. Fuck Roberts. You suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

A little nervous...

Would be funny if Kimbrel blows this.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Has he always stood like that while getting the sign? That is so weird.

Default MLB 2018 Playoffs

Hill is at 91 pitches. This is his last start of the season, almost certainly. Normally he’s on a pitch count because of blisters, but now you can ride him until his arm falls off. He has all winter to heal from blisters. Your bullpen is gassed from throwing 11 innings 16 hours ago. The other team’s starter is out and they are now burning through their even-more-exhausted pen. Hill has given up 1 hit. He has the best hitters on the Sox completely guessing. You have a 4-run lead. Never has there ever been a better time to ride your starter. He already walked someone this inning, so he is not going to walk another guy. Worst case scenario, he gives up a 2 run homer to Holt. But that’s not likely. If Hill can get out of this inning, you are set up to use Baez in the 8th and then have the rest of your pen to get through the 9th. You are then in command of the series heading into game 5.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    No. That would not be funny in the slightest.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    For awhile now. Apparently he used to stand with that arm behind his back, until it started hurting him.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Yes. It's his thing. And it's stupid.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

What a shit day today was. I hate sports. I can't believe the Dodgers lost that game.
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Hill is at 91 pitches. This is his last start of the season, almost certainly. Normally he’s on a pitch count because of blisters, but now you can ride him until his arm falls off. He has all winter to heal from blisters. Your bullpen is gassed from throwing 11 innings 16 hours ago. The other team’s starter is out and they are now burning through their even-more-exhausted pen. Hill has given up 1 hit. He has the best hitters on the Sox completely guessing. You have a 4-run lead. Never has there ever been a better time to ride your starter. He already walked someone this inning, so he is not going to walk another guy. Worst case scenario, he gives up a 2 run homer to Holt. But that’s not likely. If Hill can get out of this inning, you are set up to use Baez in the 8th and then have the rest of your pen to get through the 9th. You are then in command of the series heading into game 5.
    Agreed on all counts. Fuck Roberts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Amen
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    For once, Trump unifies us all!
    Big mistake! Definitely the SME there.

I couldn't believe Roberts took out Hill after 6 1/3 after he only gave up one hit. He walked a guy to lead off the 7th but then struck out the next guy.

Hill being fresh was the Dodgers huge advantage in that game and it was paying off and then Roberts pulled him when he was dominating Boston. Unbelievable.
    Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 10-28-2018 at 09:26 AM.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    Yes. It's his thing. And it's stupid.
    He's got his stupid Duck Dynasty beard too. When's that idiotic fad going out of style? I know these guys are pro athletes making loads of money, but those Todd Hoffman beards have got to be a roadblock to getting laid.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I couldn't believe Roberts took out Hill after 6 1/3 after he only gave up one hit. He walked a guy to lead off the 7th but then struck out the next guy.

Hill being fresh was the Dodgers huge advantage in that game and it was paying off and then Roberts pulled him when he was dominating Boston. Unbelievable.
    When Madsen went in, I told my wife it was over. Boston has him figured out, and Moreland was waiting for the change-up over the corner. Hell, I don't know anything, and I called that pitch; it's been his MO the last two games. I don't second-guess coaches because I'm only a casual fan and there's a lot of information they have that I don't, and Roberts may have been boxed into a corner after he misunderstood Hill's earlier remarks to mean that Hill was close to done. After Hill was out, though, the rest of the game became pretty predictable.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Default MLB 2018 Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Roberts may have been boxed into a corner after he misunderstood Hill's earlier remarks to mean that Hill was close to done.
    Don’t believe this for a second. Hill is the guy who never wants to come out and who is always confident he can get the next batter. There are dozens of memes of Hill being pissed when he was taken out and didn’t think he should be pulled. This is Roberts deflecting, plain and simple.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Don’t believe this for a second. Hill is the guy who never wants to come out and who is always confident he can get the next batter. There are dozens of memes of Hill being pissed when he was taken out and didn’t think he should be pulled. This is Roberts deflecting, plain and simple.
    And another reason he needs to go. Pushing the blame onto Hill.
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post

He did the same thing last year to Hill in game 2. Another game Roberts mismanaged.
    -Turtle

Thinking about this today, I wonder if the decision to go with Jansen again for 2 potential innings was just as bad as pulling Hill, if not worse. LA was still ahead in the eight by a run, and Jansen blew a save with a single run the game before. LA’s relief pitching made up for his blown save in the third game; surely they could have covered an inning in this game.

I don’t know. Maybe they were all gassed and Jansen was their best option.

Thinking about this today, I wonder if the decision to go with Jansen again for 2 potential innings was just as bad as pulling Hill, if not worse. LA was still ahead in the eight by a run, and Jansen blew a save with a single run the game before. LA’s relief pitching made up for his blown save in the third game; surely they could have covered an inning in this game.

I don’t know. Maybe they were all gassed and Jansen was their best option.
    Yes. It was equally bad. Any sensible manager would have let Dick Mountain finish the 7th. Then bring in Baez for the 8th. And then let Kenley close it out.
    -Turtle

Yes. It was equally bad. Any sensible manager would have let Dick Mountain finish the 7th. Then bring in Baez for the 8th. And then let Kenley close it out.
    It ended up working out for the Dodgers in Game 3, but he took Walker Buehler out an inning early. He didn't look even close to being done. Ironically, doing that and then blowing the lead in the 8th and then wearing down the entire pitching staff from Boston in the next ten innings gave them an advantage heading into Game 4.

Perhaps the most memorable example of keeping a pitcher in too long when it was obvious to everyone he was done, was Pedro Martinez coming out for 8th against the Yankees back in Game 7 in 2003.

On the other end was Bumgarner back in 2014. That dude was more dominant than any pitcher in a WS that I can ever remember. There was no reason to pull that guy, and Bochy was smart enough to know it.

When Buehler and Hill still both look dominant, I don't know why you pull them out when you know you're putting in guys that were just torched by the Red Sox in the last couple games. Is Madson really going to be better than Hill?
    Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 10-28-2018 at 01:03 PM.

What a shit day today was. I hate sports. I can't believe the Dodgers lost that game.
    I can.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Why can no one in the country pronounce perilous?

I have a feeling this isn’t going to be a classic pitchers’ duel...

Wellllll maybe it is settling into a pitchers’ duel!

Mooooooook!!!!
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Sweet!

Betts and Martínez have been absolutely quiet this series until now. Good on them for showing up!

What a great series for Pearce.

No drama ending. Thank you! Nice to see Sale close it out.

I know it’s hard for a lot of people to root for the league’s highest payroll, but there were some really good stories this season. Price was unbelievable his last 3 starts, outpitching the likes of Verlander and Kershaw. Relative unknowns like Pearce having monster games. Cora with the Midas touch all year long. They rolled through the regular season and didn’t let up until tonight. It was a great year.

Pearce wins the MVP. I like it. I wondered if Price was going to win it. He had a solid case for it also.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Pearce wins the MVP. I like it. I wondered if Price was going to win it. He had a solid case for it also.
    I was hoping for Pearce. Recognition for a player with a somewhat journeyman career finally landing with his favorite team and winning a WS MVP.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel