Two hour church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I’m probably the only person in Church of Jesus Christ-ism that is disappointed in the two hour church. I’ve have felt a sadness all week over the announcement. There is a part of me that recognizes how dorky it is, but church is my favorite time of the week, even the boring awful lessons that constitute every 5th Sunday and most EQ meetings. My Sunday school classes for the last four and a half years have been a weekly motivation to do better and inspiration from the great youth in my ward. I feel very much like the Church has taken away a life raft from me.

I don’t have an anger towards leaders or the rest of the Church of Jesus Christians who are excited and looking forward to the new shorter church. I just feel a void which will be hard for me to fill with something of equal or greater spiritual value.
    Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    There's nothing dorky about your sentiments. I felt a similar pang of sadness, for similar reasons. I love teaching youth Sunday School and look forward to my class every week. But if I am to be honest, Elders quorum, or before that High Priests Group lessons, were/are terrible, so I am looking forward to fewer of those.

One thing I am really excited about is the emphasis on more gospel learning in the home on Sundays. My wife and I have already started making plans—We've got all kinds of ideas. I guess maybe it's due in part to the fact my two oldest children are recently married and the third oldest is on a mission. In a certain manner my two youngest children have been ignored, or at least we haven't had as much energy for them. This kind of feels like a reset for us, and I am excited about that.
    Dorks.

But seriously, what's preventing you from similar Sunday school lessons with your family?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I’m probably the only person in Church of Jesus Christ-ism that is disappointed in the two hour church. I’ve have felt a sadness all week over the announcement. There is a part of me that recognizes how dorky it is, but church is my favorite time of the week, even the boring awful lessons that constitute every 5th Sunday and most EQ meetings. My Sunday school classes for the last four and a half years have been a weekly motivation to do better and inspiration from the great youth in my ward. I feel very much like the Church has taken away a life raft from me.

I don’t have an anger towards leaders or the rest of the Church of Jesus Christians who are excited and looking forward to the new shorter church. I just feel a void which will be hard for me to fill with something of equal or greater spiritual value.
      It's interesting how the change was taken in by the members of my family. My wife was excited by it. I can see it both ways. My primary aged kids maybe surprisingly did not seem as excited by one hour less of church. I think the point is that how it works out for each of us depends on what we do with the time.

I am old enough to remember the last change. For my first few months of being a deacon I remember going to early morning priesthood meeting, then going home and coming back for Sunday School, then going home and coming back later for Sacrament Meeting. Primary was a different meeting held during the week, either one day after school or possibly earlier in the day during the summer. The Sacrament was served both in SS and Sacrament meeting. During priesthood meeting we'd get our assignment for passing the Sacrament in the other meetings for that day. There was a junior Sunday School for the primary aged kids. While I don't really remember much passing the sacrament in the adult Sunday School or Sacrament Meeting, I still remember I liked passing it to the younger kids in jr. SS. When the change happened I remember feeling that 3 hours all in the same block was a lot all at once.
      Last edited by BlueK; 10-10-2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        Dorks.

But seriously, what's preventing you from similar Sunday school lessons with your family?
        There may be nothing that prevents it, but I will also miss greatly the perspective of the youth and honesty in dealing with their struggles and rewards of hearing about their successes. I know and get daily that input from my family. I hope that my family is able to create something similar at home.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

There may be nothing that prevents it, but I will also miss greatly the perspective of the youth and honesty in dealing with their struggles and rewards of hearing about their successes. I know and get daily that input from my family. I hope that my family is able to create something similar at home.
          Invite the Sunday School class to your home for continued study. If it involves make your own ice cream sundaes, it may just be wildly successful.

Comment

You will still have it. It will just be every other week
            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

That's fair.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                Invite the Sunday School class to your home for continued study. If it involves make your own ice cream sundaes, it may just be wildly successful.
                And then start asking for small donations, just to cover the cost of the ice cream and living expenses.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I also give 2-hour slacker church the thumbs down.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    My only problem with the 2-hr church announcement is that we have to wait until January. Boo.

Almost as bad as having to wait until December 2019 to drop scouting. That is nuts. (I am on the scout committee)
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      My only problem with the 2-hr church announcement is that we have to wait until January. Boo.

Almost as bad as having to wait until December 2019 to drop scouting. That is nuts. (I am on the scout committee)
                      Because my ward meets at 9 am this year, I don't have to wait. I'm on the 1/2 hour church schedule. (Of course there are the 4.5 hours per Sunday until the Christmas Concert that starts next week, but I'll take it.
                      “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                        I'm with the Dude on this one. Nursery is the best calling in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
                        I'll third it - its the best calling I've ever had

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• nursery is the best calling in the church by a fairly wide margin.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            nursery is the best calling in the church by a fairly wide margin.
                            I was a bit skeptical when I got the call to nursery a few months ago. I've been pleasantly surprised at how great it is. However, my wife was librarian in our old ward and I think that might be the best calling.
                            When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Working...
                            X