Two hour church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two hour church

Effin’ two hour church, bros. Two effin’ hours. Unreal. So excited. So pumped.

About four years ago I was in a leadership meeting with a seventy. Someone asked him a question (during q&a) about when we will get two hour church. The seventy have the predictable (and obviously untrue) response that we’ll get less church once we become better followers of Christ. Well, the jokes on him since having two hour church is apparently the way to become a better follower of Christ, at least according to prophets seers and revelators, none of which this seventy was.

Anyway, so excited for 60 min sacrament meeting and Sunday school every other week.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

One hour nursery!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

(to the one hour nursery)

We have between 10 to 18 kids each week. As a grandparent, I can handle kids about an hour at a time.
      Last edited by chrisrenrut; 10-06-2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
        (to the one hour nursery)

We have between 10 to 18 kids each week. As a grandparent, I can handle kids about an hour at a time.
        I love nursery but the second hour is always more work to keep them happy.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Oh My! I just realized I won't have to set up chairs in the gym anymore. For the last 10 years I've taken it upon myself to set up 66 chairs for priesthood opening exercises. No more combined - we just go to quorum - and that means I can go to the clerks office and just hang out with my fellow clerk rats...

Times - they are a changing.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I think a nursery calling would send me to inactivity. Even for just one hour.

We moved into a new ward not too long ago and I was called into missionary work, which was a mixed bag from my POV. Then with the elimination of the HPG a few months later I was called into the EQP which I had done before a few times but, still, I was grateful not to be responsible for missionary work. Now it looks like I am getting both at once. Upon reflection, maybe nursery isn't so bad after all.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Are these dramatic changes a sign of the times?

What does it mean?

Is the Church slowly collapsing?
              Last edited by ByronMarchant; 10-06-2018, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
                Are these dramatic changes a sign of the times?

What does it mean?

Is the Church slowling collapsing?
                No.

It means 2 rather than 3 hours of meetings on Sunday.

No.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                  I think a nursery calling would send me to inactivity. Even for just one hour.

We moved into a new ward not too long ago and I was called into missionary work, which was a mixed bag from my POV. Then with the elimination of the HPG a few months later I was called into the EQP which I had done before a few times but, still, I was grateful not to be responsible for missionary work. Now it looks like I am getting both at once. Upon reflection, maybe nursery isn't so bad after all.
                  You hate being around cute little kids?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Have to admit, not looking forward to being around them during cold and flu season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      I guess the cute ones are fine. But the only ones I ever thought were really cute were my own. ANd, you know, runny noses, etc. Not so grat from my POV. WHen they get a little older they are much more fun. Years ago my wife and I taught sunbeams together and that was a blast.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

No.

It means 2 rather than 3 hours of meetings on Sunday.

No.
                        Is it to save money?

Comment

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
                          Is it to save money?
                          No.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

[QUOTE=creekster;1384747]But the only ones I ever thought were really cute were my own. /QUOTE]

Yikes

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeff Lebowski;1384750]
                              But the only ones I ever thought were really cute were my own. /QUOTE]

Yikes
                              Shrug. We can't all be as loving as you, I guess.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                              X