Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 118

Thread: Two hour church

  1. #31
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Lol. Wow.

    Creek, I am very sorry I found it a little odd you guys don't like kids. Have a great day.
    I find it odd that for the second time in a row you’re misstating what I said.

    So far my day is good. I hope yours is too.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  2. #32

    Default

    Oh yay, another trolling creek with fake virtue signaling exchange.

  3. #33
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    #teamcreekster
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

    I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  4. #34
    It is NOT a monkey! creekster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Creek
    Posts
    21,439

    Default Two hour church

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Oh yay, another trolling creek with fake virtue signaling exchange.
    Virtue signal? Is that when I said I do t really want to take care of other people. Snotty nosed children or when Lebowski said not agreeing with his view of doing so means I am not well-adjusted?

    I was not trolling, btw.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Virtue signal? Is that when I said I do t really want to take care of other people. Snotty nosed children or when Lebowski said not agreeing with his view of doing so means I am not well-adjusted?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not you, bro. JL is letting everyone know how much he loves other peoples’ little kids so you and other normal people feel inferior

  6. #36
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Not you, bro. JL is letting everyone know how much he loves other peoples’ little kids so you and other normal people feel inferior
    Haha. You got me.

    Lots of grumpy misanthropes on this board. Sheesh.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  7. #37
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,188

    Default

    Oh brother.

    Nursery is awesome and easy and especially if you had your own kids go through nursery (even if decades ago) how could you not gladly agree to take a turn working in the nursery?

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Oh brother.

    Nursery is awesome and easy and especially if you had your own kids go through nursery (even if decades ago) how could you not gladly agree to take a turn working in the nursery?
    I'm with the Dude on this one. Nursery is the best calling in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

  9. #39
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    47,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Oh brother.

    Nursery is awesome and easy and especially if you had your own kids go through nursery (even if decades ago) how could you not gladly agree to take a turn working in the nursery?
    Dude. STOP VIRTUE SIGNALING!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Dude. STOP VIRTUE SIGNALING!
    Damn straight! Its getting pretty thick here.

  11. #41
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,621

    Default

    The two greatest days of a boat owner are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat. Right now Lebowski is up on his skis with the wind in his hair. There will soon come a day when he's called as a mission president and will consider his time in the nursery as the WWI trenches, and with sweet relief, gleefully accept the call to Shepard the above average missionaries of Northern Japan.

    Time stamp: Oct 7, 2018.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    The two greatest days of a boat owner are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat. Right now Lebowski is up on his skis with the wind in his hair. There will soon come a day when he's called as a mission president and will consider his time in the nursery as the WWI trenches, and with sweet relief, gleefully accept the call to Shepard the above average missionaries of Northern Japan.

    Time stamp: Oct 7, 2018.
    It was the trenches of the nursery, where the rubber meets the road; the refiner's fire, that JL was prepared for mission presidency.

  13. #43

    Default

    What motivated MLB to try to shorten baseball games?

    I have read that it was because they were struggling to attract younger fans.

    Makes sense.

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    What motivated MLB to try to shorten baseball games?

    I have read that it was because they were struggling to attract younger fans.

    Makes sense.
    Yep we've had facilities install a testimony clock for similar reasons.

  15. #45
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    What motivated MLB to try to shorten baseball games?

    I have read that it was because they were struggling to attract younger fans.

    Makes sense.
    The corollaries between professional baseball and church are endless.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  16. #46
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    The corollaries between professional baseball and church are endless.
    Baseball in general is endless.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  17. #47
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    Is it to save money?
    Saving money is probably why the church is building 12 new temples across the globe
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  18. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Saving money is probably why the church is building 12 new temples across the globe
    New temple in WaCo, Utah. I predict it will get built and dedicated and then they will promptly shut down the St. G temple for a year to renovate.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  19. #49
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    New temple in WaCo, Utah. I predict it will get built and dedicated and then they will promptly shut down the St. G temple for a year to renovate.
    Inside info?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  20. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Inside info?
    Yes. Filled with the spirit of prophesy--the ultimate inside info.

  21. #51

    Default Two hour church

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Inside info?
    I’ve heard rumblings for a couple years that they’ve been looking for an opportunity to shut down to address some electrical, HVAC, and other significant construction issues—too substantial to fully address during their summer cleaning period.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  22. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Inside info?
    Do you mean besides Pres. Nelson outright stating today that the pioneer-era temples will all be updated?
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  23. #53
    Princeps Inter Pares
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    11,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I’ve heard rumblings for a couple years that they’ve been looking for an opportunity to shut down to address some electrical, HVAC, and other significant construction issues—too substantial to fully address during their summer cleaning period.
    Apparently it was one of the factors driving the temples recently built along the Wasatch front.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

  24. #54

    Default

    1. How many of the 12 new temples are mini-temples?

    2. Did they announce which meetinghouses will be put up for sale yet? Now they can put 4 wards in each meetinghouse. This will save one building for every 3 meetinghouses.

    Some have used the number of new temples as an argument for Church growth. But I think it is important to distinguish between construction of a mini-temple and full-size temples. I hypothesize that the mini-temples are mostly being constructed to try to boost overall temple attendance (by making them proximal to the people), rather than to accommodate existing temple attendance.

    There are 159 temples in the world.

    In contrast, if you assume 3 wards per meetinghouse, there are 10,169 meetinghouses in the world.

    If they put 4 wards into each meetinghouse, this will provide a reduction of 2,542 in the number of necessary meetinghouses.

    If you assume that all of the 10,169 meetinghouses were constructed sometime in the last 40 years, then that's an average rate of 254 meetinghouses constructed per year.

    Assuming no net increase in number of congregations over the next decade, the LDS Church will not need to build a new meetinghouse for a decade. (In other words, President Nelson will be 104 years old when the Church needs to build a new meetinghouse.)

    This makes good financial sense.

  25. #55
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,621

    Default

    Regarding the SLC Temple - updates? Movies instead of live sessions?

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  26. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Saving money is probably why the church is building 12 new temples across the globe
    Burn! Sit down, BM.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  27. #57
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    20,790

    Default Two hour church

    Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    1. How many of the 12 new temples are mini-temples?

    2. Did they announce which meetinghouses will be put up for sale yet? Now they can put 4 wards in each meetinghouse. This will save one building for every 3 meetinghouses.

    Some have used the number of new temples as an argument for Church growth. But I think it is important to distinguish between construction of a mini-temple and full-size temples. I hypothesize that the mini-temples are mostly being constructed to try to boost overall temple attendance (by making them proximal to the people), rather than to accommodate existing temple attendance.

    There are 159 temples in the world.

    In contrast, if you assume 3 wards per meetinghouse, there are 10,169 meetinghouses in the world.

    If they put 4 wards into each meetinghouse, this will provide a reduction of 2,542 in the number of necessary meetinghouses.

    If you assume that all of the 10,169 meetinghouses were constructed sometime in the last 40 years, then that's an average rate of 254 meetinghouses constructed per year.

    Assuming no net increase in number of congregations over the next decade, the LDS Church will not need to build a new meetinghouse for a decade. (In other words, President Nelson will be 104 years old when the Church needs to build a new meetinghouse.)

    This makes good financial sense.
    Yep, you aren’t in finance.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  28. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    1. How many of the 12 new temples are mini-temples?
    Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought 'mini-temples' wasn't a thing anymore. Some might be smaller than others, but the few dozen or so that were built with the 'mini-temple' architecture and floor plan aren't being built now?

  29. #59
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    Do you mean besides Pres. Nelson outright stating today that the pioneer-era temples will all be updated?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  30. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post

    I totally knew that!
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •