No announcement yet.

Two hour church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mesa temple is shut down for 2+ years for extensive renovation. They demo'd the entire property minus the actual temple. They are redoing the entire property, addressing structural damage inside the temple, rebuilding the visitor's center across the street but this time making it into a Visitor's Center Plus with all kinds of extra stuff- family history center, condominiums, underground parking structure, etc etc etc.

Conservatively, I assume all this is being done in order to save money.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

As far as 2 hour church goes... eh not sure about it. As it stands, Sunday school is forever the best part of church, provided you have a decent instructor. Elder's quorum lessons are pretty tedious- I think we could wrap EQ up in 15 minutes per week, leaving out the lesson and doing assignments and moving bulletins. 2.5 would have been an even sweeter sweet spot, but that would hardly be as newsworthy.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
        As far as 2 hour church goes... eh not sure about it. As it stands, Sunday school is forever the best part of church, provided you have a decent instructor. Elder's quorum lessons are pretty tedious- I think we could wrap EQ up in 15 minutes per week, leaving out the lesson and doing assignments and moving bulletins. 2.5 would have been an even sweeter sweet spot, but that would hardly be as newsworthy.
        i maintain that 2 hours is perfect, but i would have gone with 25 minutes each for SS and PH/RS rather than alternating weeks. my favorite part of church is teaching my SS class, so i will miss that on the off week and i think we'd have better quality lessons if they were 20-25 minutes. and i'd say the same of PH lessons.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

My only problem with the 2-hr church announcement is that we have to wait until January. Boo.

Almost as bad as having to wait until December 2019 to drop scouting. That is nuts. (I am on the scout committee)
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            My only problem with the 2-hr church announcement is that we have to wait until January. Boo.

Almost as bad as having to wait until December 2019 to drop scouting. That is nuts. (I am on the scout committee)
            ugh. i must have misremembered. i was thinking scouting was done december of '18.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

I'm sure those deck chairs have never looked more beautifully arranged!

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                Regarding the SLC Temple - updates? Movies instead of live sessions?
                Is SLC the last one live? I wondered if they would go looking for people who could act when trying to fill those spots.

Comment

You clearly dislike church.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                    Is SLC the last one live? I wondered if they would go looking for people who could act when trying to fill those spots.
                    Manti
                    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      The Mesa temple is shut down for 2+ years for extensive renovation. They demo'd the entire property minus the actual temple. They are redoing the entire property, addressing structural damage inside the temple, rebuilding the visitor's center across the street but this time making it into a Visitor's Center Plus with all kinds of extra stuff- family history center, condominiums, underground parking structure, etc etc etc.

Conservatively, I assume all this is being done in order to save money.
                      1. What is the relative cost of new temples versus all other expenses that the Church has?
                      2. What are the projections in terms of futures revenue and expenses?

Of course, we have none of this information, since the Church does not want to disclose this information.

But everyone should realize that the relative cost of small or average temples may be miniscule when compared with the total costs of running the LDS Church.

Furthermore, things are not always what they seem. Without transparency, no one really knows what their financial situation is. If there is a mass exodus of youth, and baby boomers are retiring, revenue streams may be projected to diminish rapidly.

wizard_oz_01.jpg

Comment

CS is definitely more fun when BM is active.

i hope cardiac doesn't mind being the boring brother.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
                          1. What is the relative cost of new temples versus all other expenses that the Church has?

Of course, we have none of this information, since the Church does not want to disclose this information.

But everyone should realize that the relative cost of small or average temples may be miniscule when compared with the total costs of running the LDS Church.

Furthermore, things are not always what they seem. Without transparency, no one really knows what their financial situation is. If there is a mass exodus of youth, and baby boomers are retiring, revenue streams may be projected to diminish rapidly.
                          I don't know about the cost/expenses either way.

It strikes me in this and other conversations that change is so rare in the LDS culture that a reduction in meeting time is a really big deal to a lot of people.
                          If 2-hour church is the magic key to someone finding God, then I guess it's a good thing.

I'm not sure that an hour a week is going to move the needle much either way, but I like to think that this reduction in meeting-time is an acknowledgement that going to church doesn't please God / bring salvation / demonstrate righteousness.

Being a good person pleases God / brings salvation / demonstrates righteousness.
                          "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                          -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            CS is definitely more fun when BM is active.

i hope cardiac doesn't mind being the boring brother.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9124[/ATTACH]

Why do you care about this so much? I confess I didn't read all of your lengthy screed about how you came to leave the church (although I think I am familiar with a lot of it from your prior posts) but it looks like you are definitely 'out.' If so, what is your point here? That you don't think the church is divine and that it is led by men based on fictitious or worldly concerns? OK. Thanks. We get that you think this. Or are you trying to help the rest of us see the light? Because, if so, and speaking only for me, you are wasting your time and becoming a bit repetitive. Do you honestly see yourself as pulling back the curtain on the workings of the church because people here haven't considered it? I guess I can give you the .gif analogy, as the small, annoying yappy dog really does seem to fit.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by Solon View Post
                                Being a good person pleases God / brings salvation / demonstrates righteousness.
                                Isn't that pretty much what RMN said? Wasn't that the underlying thrust of his remarks about the purpose for this change? Unlike you, he would add saving ordinances and certain acts of priesthood authority, but in general, isnt that what he was saying?
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X