Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Football Hall of Famers demand NFL health insurance, salaries

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...rance-salaries

A group of 22 NFL Hall of Fame inductees on Tuesday threatened in a letter to boycott future induction ceremonies if the league does not grant them permanent health insurance and a slice of annual revenue, though at least two of the players later said the letter misrepresented their views.

In a letter obtained by ESPN to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL Players Association Executive Director DeMaurice Smith and Pro Football Hall of Fame president C. David Baker, the former players said the NFL’s previous attempts to “appease” them amount to “public relations ploys” rather than effective solutions for the “severe health and financial problems” they face. The letter’s signers include Joe Namath, Jerry Rice and Deion Sanders, among other league greats.

“We believe we deserve more,” the letter said. “We write to demand two things: Health insurance and an annual salary for all Hall of Famers that includes a share of league revenue. It might seem like a lot, but it’s a drop in the bucket for the country’s most profitable sports league.”

The NFL earned an estimated $14 billion in revenue during its 2017 league year, according to multiple reports, more than any of the four major U.S. sports leagues. The inductees argue that health insurance for every Pro Football Hall of Famer would cost about 3 cents for every $100 the league earns, while an annual salary would cost about 40 cents per $100 in revenue.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Health insurance? Okay. I can buy that. A salary? GTFO.

Comment

and only for HOFers - to hell with all the other retired players.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        and only for HOFers - to hell with all the other retired players.
        That's the craziest part.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
        X