Growling at the Badger: BYU v. Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    Pretty sure we had this discussion on here years ago (Solon was the instigator if I remember right), but fan has a murky origin. Some believe its modern usage rose from a Baseball context and the early adopters did typically link it with fanatic. On the other hand, we know that in boxing circles, earlier than the Baseball context, a part of the crowd was "The Fancy" (which was a heterogeneous group that included people such as dandified young men or costermongers). Some argued that even though those early baseball adopters linked fan to fanatic the connection to "The Fancy" are too strong to ignore. In that evolution fan is linked more directly with fancy, fanciful, or fantasy and not as closely fanaticism.

Of course, one can argue that the actual evolution doesn't matter because the vast majority seem to link it with fanaticism; hence, effectively it is short for fanatic. On the other hand, that sort of thinking created a world where literally means metaphorically.
    Well I've always associated it with being a fanatic. I suppose I use that to excuse my over-the-top behavior at sporting events.

But hey, if you want to associate it with being a dandy, knock yourself out!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
      Well I've always associated it with being a fanatic. I suppose I use that to excuse my over-the-top behavior at sporting events.

But hey, if you want to associate it with being a dandy, knock yourself out!
      You literally just ruined English speaking culture.

Comment

You literally just ruined English speaking culture.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          Interesting. I read mbn's comments to mean that if your priorities were in order, you wouldn't have needed the DVR.
          Now I know where your priorities lie, sjbh
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Pretty sure we had this discussion on here years ago (Solon was the instigator if I remember right), but fan has a murky origin. Some believe its modern usage rose from a Baseball context and the early adopters did typically link it with fanatic. On the other hand, we know that in boxing circles, earlier than the Baseball context, a part of the crowd was "The Fancy" (which was a heterogeneous group that included people such as dandified young men or costermongers). Some argued that even though those early baseball adopters linked fan to fanatic the connection to "The Fancy" are too strong to ignore. In that evolution fan is linked more directly with fancy, fanciful, or fantasy and not as closely fanaticism.

Of course, one can argue that the actual evolution doesn't matter because the vast majority seem to link it with fanaticism; hence, effectively it is short for fanatic. On the other hand, that sort of thinking created a world where literally means metaphorically.
            I just felt like I was transported back to CUF circa 2012. What a nice feeling.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Have ute fans started posting yet about how terrible Wisconsin is this year?

Comment

• Hans Olsen just posted a bunch of play breakdowns on Twitter. Really fun to watch.

https://twitter.com/975Hans

Comment

• LVAllen, please stand.

All those who would like to join me in expressing gratitude to LVAllen for the tremendous service of naming this thread, please signify with the upraised left hand.

LVAllen has been called to compose thread titles for the remainder of this season. All in favor, please indicate.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    Hans Olsen just posted a bunch of play breakdowns on Twitter. Really fun to watch.

https://twitter.com/975Hans
                    I think this one is my favorite of his breakdowns:

https://twitter.com/975Hans/status/1...011479553?s=19

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• This one is my favorite:

When watching the game at full speed you just don't see these nuances. I love watching film breakdowns like this because I learn so much about the game.
                      Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 09-17-2018, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        This one is my favorite:

When watching the game at full speed you just don't see these nuances. I love watching film breakdowns like this because I learn so much about the game.
                        Which one is that? Even though I see the "TWEET" tags in the quoted message, the tweet didn't show up on my computer.
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Which one is that? Even though I see the "TWEET" tags in the quoted message, the tweet didn't show up on my computer.
                          Is your browser set with tracking protections? I usually have to click those off and then refresh the page to see embedded tweets.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            Is your browser set with tracking protections? I usually have to click those off and then refresh the page to see embedded tweets.
                            I didn't do anything different, but it's working now.
                            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Was able to finally watch the rest of the game last night. Boy that was fun, but nerve wracking. Great win.

Comment

I think this one is my favorite of his breakdowns:

https://twitter.com/975Hans/status/1...011479553?s=19

this right here is one reason byu's defense was so successful. wisconsin didn't run anything like this. they pretty much lined up and ran it straight ahead. that works against a lot of teams, but it plays right into byu's strength - which is their size in that 4-3 scheme.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X