Thread: Are we under cyberattack?

Default Are we under cyberattack?

Nearly 40 homes and businesses in three Massachusetts towns on Thursday suffered explosions or fires that may have resulted from an issue with gas service, officials said.

Suspected explosions have set structures on fire across dozens of blocks and forced evacuations in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover, Massachusetts State Police said.
    But...

"Far too early to speculate on cause" of the explosions, authorities said.
    I guess several pipeline firms were cyberattacked back in April.

Bryan Singer, director of Security Services at IOActive, has described some worst-case scenarios that could result from attacks targeting pipeline operators.

“A lot of pipelines have 24-48 hour capacity within the pipelines. If hackers find a way to poison the product, you could have downstream impact for months or more. You could have gas compressors or lift stations where there’s a fire or explosion, and where you have to scramble to cap the ends before the fire spreads out.

I’ll admit to being a novice in pipeline operations, but how could someone poison a pipeline through a cyberattack? And why would it just combust?

Seems more likely that they would gain control of compressors, over pressurizing the line until it bursts and blows up a couple homes.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I’ll admit to being a novice in pipeline operations, but how could someone poison a pipeline through a cyberattack? And why would it just combust?

Seems more likely that they would gain control of compressors, over pressurizing the line until it bursts and blows up a couple homes.
    Yeah I have no idea, really. I was hoping of all people, maybe you'd have some insight. Keeping your cards close to your chest...

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Yeah I have no idea, really. I was hoping of all people, maybe you'd have some insight. Keeping your cards close to your chest...
    Ha, I know a little bit about it but not much. The local electric utility in Houston got a bunch of money from Obama to upgrade their system to smart meters and install a bunch of advanced cyber security stuff. I know they were prepping for this type of stuff.

After the El Paso Pipeline blow out a while back (maybe two decades now?) the pipes all had to put in place maintenance plans that were regulated by the ferc. That included pigging the pipes to check for weaknesses and updating old pipe. I don’t think it included cyber security measures.

The threat of cutting off supply seems real, but I live in Texas so it would only keep me from hearing the pool in the winter. I can probably live with that
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf