Demormonization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demormonization

The LDS Church has been increasingly moving away from the Book of Mormon for a long time. It’s been maybe 20 years since they moved all the BOM characters to the basement of the visitors center on TS. JS has been likewise deemphasized. His images are nowhere above ground on TS. Some of you certainly recall that there used to be a “new” visitors center in that building in the eastern part of TS on South Temple that had BOM characters as talking robots like Disney’s An Evening With Mr. Lincoln. Those are long gone. GCs rarely mention the BOM—certainly not Laminites and Nephites and the yin and yang qualities. You certainly won’t again see any GC -authored books about the BOM per se. Hinkley’s book came out maybe 20 years ago, and I remember looking in the index and not finishing a single reference in that entire door stopper to Lamanits or Nephites.

This latest request that we not call you Mormons anymore is part of that. I think people who identify with whatever should be called what they want to be called. So I say LDS when talking to members. I might say Mormon if my interlocutor is not too familiar with the LDS Church and I want him to know what I’m talking about. I don’t think Mormons has reached the point of being offensive to LDS; when that happens, I assure you I’ll expunge the word form my vocabulary. I doubt we’ll ever see an explicit characterization by the Church of the BOM as we have seen from the Church of Christ. It’s never that candid.

Thoughts?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    ...JS has been likewise deemphasized. His images are nowhere above ground on TS...
    When did they remove the Priesthood restoration statues?

Comment

I guess I'll bite. I'm not seeing the deemphasis from where I sit.

It's been a whole year since the prophet's last challenge to read the BOM daily. It and the restoration through Joseph Smith is still the centerpiece of our proselytizing efforts. Every general conference features both as topics. Most lessons or talks reference at least one and often both.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        When did they remove the Priesthood restoration statues?
        They were still there this morning as well as Joseph and Hyrum east of them.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

The LDS Church has been increasingly moving away from the Book of Mormon for a long time. It’s been maybe 20 years since they moved all the BOM characters to the basement of the visitors center on TS. JS has been likewise deemphasized. His images are nowhere above ground on TS. Some of you certainly recall that there used to be a “new” visitors center in that building in the eastern part of TS on South Temple that had BOM characters as talking robots like Disney’s An Evening With Mr. Lincoln. Those are long gone. GCs rarely mention the BOM—certainly not Laminites and Nephites and the yin and yang qualities. You certainly won’t again see any GC -authored books about the BOM per se. Hinkley’s book came out maybe 20 years ago, and I remember looking in the index and not finishing a single reference in that entire door stopper to Lamanits or Nephites.

This latest request that we not call you Mormons anymore is part of that. I think people who identify with whatever should be called what they want to be called. So I say LDS when talking to members. I might say Mormon if my interlocutor is not too familiar with the LDS Church and I want him to know what I’m talking about. I don’t think Mormons has reached the point of being offensive to LDS; when that happens, I assure you I’ll expunge the word form my vocabulary. I doubt we’ll ever see an explicit characterization by the Church of the BOM as we have seen from the Church of Christ. It’s never that candid.

Thoughts?
          My thought is I wonder if it hurts you to sit down given how much you blow it out .... your comment, as a friend of mine likes to say, is counter factual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Demormonization

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
            They were still there this morning as well as Joseph and Hyrum east of them.
            Looks like they were removed sometime after your sighting but before SU’s post.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I agree in the sense that it would be a good thing to de-emphasize the “historical” elements of the BOM since it is clearly not any type of literal history. Better to emphasize the inspired and inspirational aspects of the BOM instead.

Comment

Does the visitor center still have facsimiles of other engraven metal plates found around the world? I always thought rhat was cool.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

Thoughts?
                  Anytime you seek branding it is based upon what makes you unique. I think this is only the 798th time you have mentioned the Book of Mormon pictures in the basement of the SL Temple Visitor's Center sharing space with the gazillion lights to be strung up in December. In the day when the United States was decidedly more Christian the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints sought to differentiate itself with the Book of Mormon. Now that is not nearly as necessary as crazy beliefs about having dinner as a family can accomplish the same branding purpose.
                  Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                  -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                  -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I disagree that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is de-emphasizing the Book of Mormon. I also disagree that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is de-emphasizing the worship of Joseph Smith. I'll agree with you on the later point when Praise to the Man is removed from the LDS Hymn book.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                      I disagree that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is de-emphasizing the Book of Mormon. I also disagree that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is de-emphasizing the worship of Joseph Smith. I'll agree with you on the later point when Praise to the Man is removed from the LDS Hymn book.
                      A week ago yesterday we stood and sang a rousing rendition of this hymn between speakers in sacramennt meeting. The earth lauds his fame!
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        A week ago yesterday we stood and sang a rousing rendition of this hymn between speakers in sacramennt meeting. The earth lauds his fame!
                        I now fight him in vain.
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                          I now fight him in vain.
                          At least you recognize it.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Demormonization

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              I think prior to baptism, it should be a requirement for a convert to observe a signing of Praise to the Man as a rest hymn.
                              --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Working...
                              X