Online mission calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
    That is fantastic news. Very happy to see that.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

This was awesome, but I'm not sure how I feel about some of the service missions:

Elder Horne returned from the California San Fernando Mission earlier this year because of a health issue. He now serves as a missionary in the Church’s Publishing Services Department, providing technical and user support for the Gospel Library app.

“It’s the service to the Lord that matters,” said Elder Horne.

Sister Carmen Juarez, 24, from Provo, Utah, was called to a service mission due to ongoing health challenges. In addition to supporting the Gospel Library app, Sister Juarez provides leadership and training to new service missionaries and has grown tremendously from the experience.
      So, they're working in a customer service call center?

Comment

Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
        This was awesome, but I'm not sure how I feel about some of the service missions:

I wouldn't call it a "call center" - most issues are submitted online through the apps themselves. They triage the issues, respond back via email with info or questions for additional details, work with the actual content producing departments to coordinate changes, etc. Those who serve service missions can choose the location they serve. In other words, they can serve at Church Office Building in the publishing department, they can serve at the Humanitarian Center, at the Distribution Center, at Welfare Square, Bishop's Storehouses, Special Needs Mutual, etc. They can serve some days of the week in one location and some days of the week in others.

If there is someone with a physical condition that prevents them from lifting boxes or other things, the Church Office Building can be a great choice as a place to serve.

Comment

Can we have some folks serve full-time service missions on a certain football team now?

Asking for a friend...

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
            I wouldn't call it a "call center" - most issues are submitted online through the apps themselves. They triage the issues, respond back via email with info or questions for additional details, work with the actual content producing departments to coordinate changes, etc. Those who serve service missions can choose the location they serve. In other words, they can serve at Church Office Building in the publishing department, they can serve at the Humanitarian Center, at the Distribution Center, at Welfare Square, Bishop's Storehouses, Special Needs Mutual, etc. They can serve some days of the week in one location and some days of the week in others.

If there is someone with a physical condition that prevents them from lifting boxes or other things, the Church Office Building can be a great choice as a place to serve.
            They never responded to me when I submitted an error in Gospel library. Jerks!

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
              They never responded to me when I submitted an error in Gospel library. Jerks!
              Well, you're already a member. No real benefit to responding to your issue.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Well, you're already a member. No real benefit to responding to your issue.
                Retention is also important. Now I'm offended.

Comment

I think it says a kid can switch if he/she comes home for health reasons, what if the kid is out there and just wants to switch because they feel like they would enjoy it more and get more out of it than a proselyting mission.

Comment

No higher calling than working in call centers.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

We have a service missionary in our ward and last Sunday I attended a former ward and they have two there. It seems to be getting more common.

I don't know if I could have handled being a service missionary versus a full time proselyting missionary. On my mission I was 100% focused on the work for two solid years. Putting in 20-35 hours per week at a family history center or supporting Gospel Apps, but otherwise living at home in the same environment where you've lived your whole life sounds like a rather different experience.

Comment

That is really stretching the definition of service.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          Retention is also important. Now I'm offended.
                          You need to get in touch with the Retention department. They're the ones who are authorized to provide the new-member discounts to current members. Push them hard enough, and they may offer 25% off tithing for a year.

Comment

Can we get full-time service missionaries to clean the chapels? ...and the temples too I guess. Sign-ups went around today in quorum to pick up 8pm-midnight temple cleaning shifts on a handful of weekdays this month or next.
                            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                              Can we get full-time service missionaries to clean the chapels? ...and the temples too I guess. Sign-ups went around today in quorum to pick up 8pm-midnight temple cleaning shifts on a handful of weekdays this month or next.
                              Yeah, these full-time service missions give some kids valuable on-the-job training. We have a kid in our ward do a service mission at the local bishop's store house. After his mission he got a job at a grocery store stocker given his experience stocking the shelves of the store house. We make it a point to favor the grocery store he works at so we can see the huge smile on his face. He suffers a bit from autism but can tell you the exact shelve location and position of any item in the store, even by the brand. I test him every time we see him and he hasn't failed me yet. He loves his job. Don't under estimate the value of these service missions.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                Yeah, these full-time service missions give some kids valuable on-the-job training. We have a kid in our ward do a service mission at the local bishop's store house. After his mission he got a job at a grocery store stocker given his experience stocking the shelves of the store house. We make it a point to favor the grocery store he works at so we can see the huge smile on his face. He suffers a bit from autism but can tell you the exact shelve location and position of any item in the store, even by the brand. I test him every time we see him and he hasn't failed me yet. He loves his job. Don't under estimate the value of these service missions.
                                My son did a two-year service mission and it was a fantastic experience. First year was at the LDS motion picture studio building movie sets, etc. Second year was at the local bishop storehouse stocking shelves and filling orders. He matured, learned to work hard, and learned to love service.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X