X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online mission calls

This a big deal:

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...6cdd41e0c.html

Mission calls going to be issued electronically by the end of the year. Great idea. So many problems with the traditional mail method.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This a big deal:

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...6cdd41e0c.html

Mission calls going to be issued electronically by the end of the year. Great idea. So many problems with the traditional mail method.
    Well now how is the elder/sister supposed to stand up in front of everyone and slowly lower the paper covering the relevant information so that he/she can read one line at a time! This will destroy years of tradition!

Comment

This would have prevented my family knowing about my mission call before me. I was out of town when the call came, and they couldn't wait for me to get back. I think my mom was hoping I'd ask them to open up the call and read it to me. The plan was foiled when my brother blurted out where I was going
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
        Well now how is the elder/sister supposed to stand up in front of everyone and slowly lower the paper covering the relevant information so that he/she can read one line at a time! This will destroy years of tradition!
        Haha.

As a YSA freshman ward bishop, I did over 300 mission applications. There were several cases where the mail was lost or delayed or sent to the wrong address. This will be a nice change.

One time during the very busiest time of the year, there was a malfunction with the mail machine in SLC and we had 6-7 calls sent to random locations across the US. I got notifications that the calls had been mailed and they usually arrive in 2-3 days, but 3 weeks later the calls had still not been received! Those poor kids were going nuts. I finally called SLC and insisted that they re-print and re-send the calls. The original ones eventually came, but not for an additional week or two.

I knew of one case (not in my ward) that the call got lost in the mail for 2 months and the family/bishop never called to figure out what was going on. The call finally arrived 10 days before the poor guy was supposed to be in the MTC.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Haha.

As a YSA freshman ward bishop, I did over 300 mission applications. There were several cases where the mail was lost or delayed or sent to the wrong address. This will be a nice change.

One time during the very busiest time of the year, there was a malfunction with the mail machine in SLC and we had 6-7 calls sent to random locations across the US. I got notifications that the calls had been mailed and they usually arrive in 2-3 days, but 3 weeks later the calls had still not been received! Those poor kids were going nuts. I finally called SLC and insisted that they re-print and re-send the calls. The original ones eventually came, but not for an additional week or two.

I knew of one case (not in my ward) that the call got lost in the mail for 2 months and the family/bishop never called to figure out what was going on. The call finally arrived 10 days before the poor guy was supposed to be in the MTC.
          That's awesome!

Growing up in a little town had it's benefits. The local post office got good at identifying what those mission call envelopes looked like, so I got a call about 6:30am telling me that they had a letter there they knew I'd be interested in, if I wanted to drive down and pick it up instead of waiting for it to be delivered.

Having them pop up in an inbox would be so much better than checking the mailbox day after day.

It will be interesting to see how many YM/YW just read the email right away versus waiting for some gathering. It's different when you just have to click a button instead of tearing open an envelope.

Comment

Hopefully it will be similar to this college admission acceptance party:

Comment

This must be so the prophet doesn't have to sign so many papers anymore. I know it's an autopen.
              "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Big deal? Maybe not, but it’s cool and more convenient. I know part of the issue at BYU is trying to figure out where to have the letter sent so you don’t end up getting it sent to your home address before you finish the semester and end up having someone at home open it for you and read it or having them redirect the letter to you and you wait another couple days.

I’m sure the old guard will think it’s not as spiritual to open an email instead of a letter, but most teenagers today probably couldn’t care less how it’s delivered.

It does remind me that my daughters YW leaders are asking them to bring paper scriptures to church instead of using their scriptures on their phone. It’s annoying because they need to leave their actual paper scriptures at seminary so now they scrounge around the house to find another set of scriptures, which they don’t want to mark up.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Big deal? Maybe not, but it’s cool and more convenient. I know part of the issue at BYU is trying to figure out where to have the letter sent so you don’t end up getting it sent to your home address before you finish the semester and end up having someone at home open it for you and read it or having them redirect the letter to you and you wait another couple days.

I’m sure the old guard will think it’s not as spiritual to open an email instead of a letter, but most teenagers today probably couldn’t care less how it’s delivered.

It does remind me that my daughters YW leaders are asking them to bring paper scriptures to church instead of using their scriptures on their phone. It’s annoying because they need to leave their actual paper scriptures at seminary so now they scrounge around the house to find another set of scriptures, which they don’t want to mark up.
                  It's pretty much a big deal!

Comment

It's pretty much a big deal!
                    You have a very low standard for what constitutes a big deal.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                      You have a very low standard for what constitutes a big deal.
                      You have a very low sense of humor.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how many YM/YW just read the email right away versus waiting for some gathering. It's different when you just have to click a button instead of tearing open an envelope.
                        I learned from my older kids that an early indication of them being accepted to BYU was if their names were added to the on-line BYU directory. So before they got their acceptance email I would check the directory for their name so I would know what to prepare for.

Hackers gots to hack.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I wait to see Sooner and/or MPFunk try to dismiss this revelation as uninspired. By their fruits, and all that.

Comment

Haha.

I can't believe it has taken this long to make the change. My son submitted his papers at the end of May. The month of June past, then most of July without receiving the call. Our Stake Clerk could see online that an assignment had been made a week after the papers were submitted. On July 19th our Bishop called SLC. They explained the call had been mailed the day before. Then the next day it arrived. He reported to the MTC today.

There is no way the mail got here from SLC in two days. It obviously had been sent earlier, but oh well.

Comment

Has anyone heard about any full time Elder or Sister, of the young and single variety, coming for any reason other than worthiness being transitioned to a Church Service Mission? What I got out of some quick comments from my SP at a Stake PEC is the Church is planning to transition missionaries who return early from "teaching missions" to "service missions." I thought I heard him say that the Church was setting up another committee to facilitate this change.
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                              X