Women's soccer 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's soccer 2018

I thought this would be a good week to start this thread since the Utah game is Friday. BYU is 2-2-1 so far with the losses coming in hard-fought games against the #1 and #5 ranked teams in the country, Stanford and Texas A&M. The wins have been at a decent CS Fullerton team on the road and a 10-0 win against Idaho State last Saturday. The tie was 2-2 on the road against a pretty good Nebraska team. I have watched most of the games so far, and to me this team with only one senior somehow looks significantly better than last year's disappointing team that had 7 seniors. They are a little vulnerable to the counterattack against really good teams, thus the 2 goals each scored on them by A&M and Stanford. But in both games BYU played well.

The A&M game was a little frustrating in that BYU controlled possession, had way more shots, and the A&M goals came with 3 minutes before the half and 5 minutes before the end of the game. In their very next game A&M beat top-10 ranked Santa Clara who is supposed to be the best WCC team, by a 4-0 score. I think we take care of business at Utah this Friday and I'm feeling pretty good about BYU taking the league and getting back to the NCAA tournament this year.

We beat the Utes last week in a game that had a wild finish. In general the team is looking good. I don't see many bumps in the road in the remaining schedule.

Comment

my niece is utah's best player (probably the best player in the PAC12) and had a crazy header goal in that byu game.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

BYU got one vote on the coaches poll this week. The last three non-conference games are at Marquette, Long Beach State, and home vs. UVU. Marquette has been very good in the recent past but are struggling so far this season against a ridiculously tough schedule. I'd be concerned about it being a trap game, but BYU should be able to win. Long Beach is pretty good. If BYU takes the next three and then the first two WCC games at home against Gonzaga and Portland, I think they could very well get into the top 25 by the beginning of October.
        Last edited by BlueK; 09-12-2018, 06:23 AM.

Comment

This has BYU ranked #30.

https://herosports.com/rankings/coll...-womens-soccer

Comment

BYU has won 7 of their last 8 and is the only team still undefeated in conference play. The Pepperdine game this week will be tough since top 15 ranked Santa Clara already lost there. But if BYU wins they'll be firmly in the drivers seat to win the conference since they get Santa Clara at home.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              BYU has won 7 of their last 8 and is the only team still undefeated in conference play. The Pepperdine game this week will be tough since top 15 ranked Santa Clara already lost there. But if BYU wins they'll be firmly in the drivers seat to win the conference since they get Santa Clara at home.
              I watched the game the other night. Byu did not pass the ball very well. I was glad they were able to get the win.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                I watched the game the other night. Byu did not pass the ball very well. I was glad they were able to get the win.
                The San Diego game was harder than it should have been, in the first half especially. USD was supposed to be one of the league contenders but had lost their first two conference games. I got the sense they went into the game with BYU with a lot of desperation to avoid a third loss which would have erased any hope of winning the league.
                Last edited by BlueK; 10-10-2018, 11:55 AM.

Comment

The San Diego game was harder than it should have been, in the first half especially. USD was supposed to be one of the league contenders but had lost their first two conference games. I got the sense they went into the game with BYU with a lot of desperation to avoid a third loss which would have erased any hope of winning the league.
                  BYU's next games are the games that will determine if BYU makes it to the Tourney. They've got Pepperdine which knocked off Santa Clara and Santa Clara which lost some luster due to the Pepperdine loss.

I've never been impressed with BYU's possession and imagination around the box.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Conference champions! Congratulations BYU for taking down Santa Clara and taking the ncaa tournament autobid.

Comment

BYU cracks the top 25 this week!

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...rankings/women

Comment

It's likely is it not, that BYU will start the Tourney away? The team is playing much better than earlier in the season.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                          It's likely is it not, that BYU will start the Tourney away? The team is playing much better than earlier in the season.
                          Most likely, yes, they'll have to go on the road. Their rpi moved up from 73 to 44 after the USF and Santa Clara wins last week. That's basically at-large bubble territory if they didn't have an autobid. Santa Clara is still #7 on the rpi, so there might still be a slight chance they get to host a game if the committee looks favorably enough over the SCU win which is probably going to be better than any win any comparable team in the field is going to have. Also, the conference championship might be another thing they might look favorably on. Seedings after the top 4 in each bracket are not specified, but to compare to the basketball tournament, I think they'll look at BYU as the equivalent of around a 9 or 10 seed.

But winning the league and getting back to the tournament after a losing record last year is a good accomplishment for this team that has only one senior. Also, the way they're playing I think they have a decent to pretty good shot at winning a game, even on the road. It's unlikely they'd have to face a top 4 seed until the second game.
                          Last edited by BlueK; 11-01-2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Most likely, yes, they'll have to go on the road. Their rpi moved up from 73 to 44 after the USF and Santa Clara wins last week. That's basically at-large bubble territory if they didn't have an autobid. Santa Clara is still #7 on the rpi, so there might still be a slight chance they get to host a game if the committee looks favorably enough over the SCU win which is probably going to be better than any win any comparable team in the field is going to have. Also, the conference championship might be another thing they might look favorably on. Seedings after the top 4 in each bracket are not specified, but to compare to the basketball tournament, I think they'll look at BYU as the equivalent of around a 9 or 10 seed.

But winning the league and getting back to the tournament after a losing record last year is a good accomplishment for this team that has only one senior. Also, the way they're playing I think they have a decent to pretty good shot at winning a game, even on the road. It's unlikely they'd have to face a top 4 seed until the second game.
                            Their defense is still shaky at times, but the team is playing better. I've never been a big fan of their offense and the SCU game involved a cross that became a goal and a perfect shot. The missed PK caused a groan.

Comment

BYU is set to play Friday night at TCU with a chance at a rematch vs. Texas A&M on a neutral field if both teams get through. TCU is a team BYU can beat. There is one common opponent between them this year - -the Frogs lost to Santa Clara 3-0 earlier in the season.
                              Last edited by BlueK; 11-06-2018, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X