Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    strongly disagree wrt alleged tediousness of bowl season
    You can disagree all you want, but the numbers don't lie. TV ratings are at historic lows, and---with the exception of last year's double-overtime game---viewership of the semifinals has steadily declined since the playoff debuted. I can only imagine how many people would tune in for a quarterfinal match between UCF and Utah.

Comment

• Conference Champions have to be part of the main equation when going to 8-team playoff. The 3 Wild Cards need to have certain factors as well and CCT should weigh more then a team who does not even win their division. This is about expanding and truthfully i would love to see a Cinderella team happen in this situation. UCF, Boise St. Etc.

If they just went with the Selection Committees rankings we could see as high as 4 teams from one conference. Here is a review of the CFP Selection Day rankings since the inauguration (I do think if it was a 8-team playoff these rankings would not remain true):

2014:
      1. Bama
      2. Oregon
      3. FSU
      4. OSU
      5. Baylor
      6. TCU
      7. Miss. St.
      8. MSU

2015:
      1. Clemson
      2. Bama
      3. MSU
      4. OU
      5. Iowa
      6. Stanford
      7. OSU
      8. ND

2016:
      1. Bama
      2. Clemson
      3. OSU
      4. Washington
      5. PSU
      6. Michigan
      7. OU
      8. Wisconsin

2017:
      1. Clemson
      2. OU
      3. Georgia
      4. Bama
      5. OSU
      6. Wisconsin
      7. Auburn
      8. USC

2018:
      1. Bama
      2. Clemson
      3. ND
      4. OU
      5. Georgia
      6. OSU
      7. Michigan
      8. UCF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• 2018 College Football Thread

Originally posted by Babs View Post
        You can disagree all you want, but the numbers don't lie. TV ratings are at historic lows, and---with the exception of last year's double-overtime game---viewership of the semifinals has steadily declined since the playoff debuted. I can only imagine how many people would tune in for a quarterfinal match between UCF and Utah.
        That’s because the Buckeyes have been excluded. Of course the rating were down this year. The wrong teams were in.

Last edited by dabrockster; 12-31-2018, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
          Conference Champions have to be part of the main equation when going to 8-team playoff. The 3 Wild Cards need to have certain factors as well and CCT should weigh more then a team who does not even win their division. This is about expanding and truthfully i would love to see a Cinderella team happen in this situation. UCF, Boise St. Etc.

If they just went with the Selection Committees rankings we could see as high as 4 teams from one conference. Here is a review of the CFP Selection Day rankings since the inauguration (I do think if it was a 8-team playoff these rankings would not remain true):

2014:
          1. Bama
          2. Oregon
          3. FSU
          4. OSU
          5. Baylor
          6. TCU
          7. Miss. St.
          8. MSU

2015:
          1. Clemson
          2. Bama
          3. MSU
          4. OU
          5. Iowa
          6. Stanford
          7. OSU
          8. ND

2016:
          1. Bama
          2. Clemson
          3. OSU
          4. Washington
          5. PSU
          6. Michigan
          7. OU
          8. Wisconsin

2017:
          1. Clemson
          2. OU
          3. Georgia
          4. Bama
          5. OSU
          6. Wisconsin
          7. Auburn
          8. USC

2018:
          1. Bama
          2. Clemson
          3. ND
          4. OU
          5. Georgia
          6. OSU
          7. Michigan
          8. UCF
          I don’t see anything wrong with those lists.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
            Thank you.

The rest of y’all need to stop kidding yourselves and act like you’re paying attention to the sport. If the committee picks eight teams to play, you’ll have three SEC teams, two teams from the current season’s trendiest “second-best” conference, and a crap shoot for the other three spots. And in the end you’ll get essentially the same result, but with an even more tedious bowl season than we have now.

Any suggestion to expand without reference to conference championships is seriously delusional.
            You are delusional.

If we aren’t going to put in the eight best teams then expanding to eight is a waste of time. Let’s stay at four.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
              I blame millennials.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                You are delusional.

If we aren’t going to put in the eight best teams then expanding to eight is a waste of time. Let’s stay at four.
                It is not delusional. The current rankings from the selection committee are inherently biased to the P5. The history shows this. I think there are possibilities for other teams out of the P5 who can compete with them. We can still expand to 8-teams but, What determines the 8 best teams??

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                  It is not delusional. The current rankings from the selection committee are inherently biased to the P5. The history shows this. I think there are possibilities for other teams out of the P5 who can compete with them. We can still expand to 8-teams but, What determines the 8 best teams??
                  Lol. Knock it off. Nobody is going to believe you are concerned about the non-P5 teams.

Comment

• 2018 College Football Thread

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Lol. Knock it off. Nobody is going to believe you are concerned about the non-P5 teams.
                    I love that you have taken up DDD’s dismissive response to me (LOL Knock it off). But much to your surprise, Everyone loves an underdog story. Including me..

Last edited by dabrockster; 12-31-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• As a fan of a non-P5 team, I couldn’t careless if there are 6 SEC teams in an eight team playoff as long as they’d reserve it. If you expand to 8 then I agree you should include the eight best teams. Expand to 16 and then you can auto qualify the conference champs...from all conferences, not just the P5.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I don’t see anything wrong with those lists.
                        I do -- four Big 10 teams in 2016. Outside of Ohio State and maybe Penn State, that whole conference is a fraud. On the other hand, I wouldn't have a problem with 3-4 SEC teams. In general, I am in agreement that conference champions should go to the playoff if it's expanded to 8 teams -- within reason. The conference champion should still be in, say, the top 10. So, a little bit a leeway for a conference champion, but not much. Should a 3 loss Utah team have gone this year if it had beaten Washington in the Pac 10 championship? Some of those conferences, particularly the Pac 10 some years and the ACC before Clemson came around to the current regime, still shouldn't have a team go automatically if it's expanded to 8.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• byu highlights during the holiday bowl

can't escape your heritage, kyle.
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

You are delusional.

As if this is knowable.

8 best according to whom? "Experts"?

If a playoff of any size doesn't include the conference champions then what is the point of having conferences at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                              As if this is knowable.

8 best according to whom? "Experts"?
                              No ranking method is perfect, but any method would be better than a conference champ approach.

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                              If a playoff of any size doesn't include the conference champions then what is the point of having conferences at all?
                              You can't be serious.

Comment

• Let's go, Wildcats!
                                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Working...
                                X