Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.lubbockonline.com/news/2...texas-tech-job

perennial doormat Utah State
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
      I thought Goldilocks said OU had no defense, so it shouldn't matter.
      I was gonna say. What exactly is different?
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
        I thought Goldilocks said OU had no defense, so it shouldn't matter.
        Last time we played Goldilocks, we had a not-very-good DC (that we hired at the expense of Clemson’s Brent Venables) who nevertheless made halftime adjustments to allow our offense to score 21 unanswered and nearly win a come-from-behind victory for OU. He was fired for the effort. Since then, the defense has been, as ESPN puts it, “positively dreadful,” and apparently no one will take the DC job.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
          I think it's a good hire for Tech, but there's no guarantee. Scott Frost took a winless team and turned them undeafeated in one year, then coached the worst Nebraska team in decades the year after that.
          Scott Frost turned Nebraska around (somewhat) the second half of the season going 4-2 and losing close games to Ohio St. and Iowa. Nebraska won just as many games this year as they did last season. So yeah, I'm looking for a silver lining after a 4-8 season. FYI, Frost coached two seasons at Central Florida going undefeated in his second season.
          Last edited by Paperback Writer; 11-29-2018, 10:20 PM.
          “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
          "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
            Last time we played Goldilocks, we had a not-very-good DC (that we hired at the expense of Clemson’s Brent Venables) who nevertheless made halftime adjustments to allow our offense to score 21 unanswered and nearly win a come-from-behind victory for OU. He was fired for the effort. Since then, the defense has been, as ESPN puts it, “positively dreadful,” and apparently no one will take the DC job.
            i've always viewed lincoln riley as one of, if not the top young coach in college football. beast to work for? otherwise, i can't figure out why nobody wants the job. you come in, turn that defense around - i mean, it isn't as if you can't recruit great athletes to norman - you're a hero, you probably win a national title along the way and you have your pick of HC jobs after a couple years.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              i've always viewed lincoln riley as one of, if not the top young coach in college football. beast to work for? otherwise, i can't figure out why nobody wants the job. you come in, turn that defense around - i mean, it isn't as if you can't recruit great athletes to norman - you're a hero, you probably win a national title along the way and you have your pick of HC jobs after a couple years.
              I think there are a ton of issues:

1. You've got a first-year university president who has no experience of any kind in academia, much less in academic administration, but who recognizes this is the biggest decision he'll make for years.

2. The natives (i.e., the donors) are extremely restless and undoubtedly will only settle for the best of the best. I'm guessing the candidates they're pushing are also being considered for head coaching vacancies.

3. We need someone that can recruit from Texas east through South Carolina. That basically means someone out of the SEC or ACC, who would have to leave the prestige of those two conferences to move to the big 12 and try to overcome air-raid offense every week. (UCF is undefeated but has its own set of defensive issues.)

4. In some ways Lincoln's youth and demeanor work against him. He's so young that most of the coaches OU would be recruiting are significantly older than he is. And he's about as enthusiastic as a guy headed into a proctology exam. I can't imagine him generating any excitement regarding the prospect of a fifty-year-old relocating his family to the middle of Oklahoma to work for a guy fifteen years his junior following a decade of widely publicized systemic dysfunction.

5. It's well known in the community that the sitting AD was stupid enough to fire Venables to bring on Mike Stoops. Who would want that risk?

Comment

1. You've got a first-year university president who has no experience of any kind in academia, much less in academic administration, but who recognizes this is the biggest decision he'll make for years.

2. The natives (i.e., the donors) are extremely restless and undoubtedly will only settle for the best of the best. I'm guessing the candidates they're pushing are also being considered for head coaching vacancies.

3. We need someone that can recruit from Texas east through South Carolina. That basically means someone out of the SEC or ACC, who would have to leave the prestige of those two conferences to move to the big 12 and try to overcome air-raid offense every week. (UCF is undefeated but has its own set of defensive issues.)

4. In some ways Lincoln's youth and demeanor work against him. He's so young that most of the coaches OU would be recruiting are significantly older than he is. And he's about as enthusiastic as a guy headed into a proctology exam. I can't imagine him generating any excitement regarding the prospect of a fifty-year-old relocating his family to the middle of Oklahoma to work for a guy fifteen years his junior following a decade of widely publicized systemic dysfunction.

5. It's well known in the community that the sitting AD was stupid enough to fire Venables to bring on Mike Stoops. Who would want that risk?
                i guess that answers the question.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

That's 5 issues. Not even close to a 'ton.'

Comment

• No enthusiasm for the Pac-12 CHAMPIONSHIP game?

It might be nice to honor Triplet (RIP) with a thread title like, "The Bundy Bowl: Who Will be the Pac-12's (Serial) Killer?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                      No enthusiasm for the Pac-12 CHAMPIONSHIP game?
                      So first y'all chase of all the Utes and then you complain that no one left wants to acknowledge the power-conference title berth they've been (somewhat inexplicably) predicting for the last twelve years?

Nationally there seems to be little interest in the game because it's a match-up between two 3-loss teams from relatively low-population states.

Comment

• Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                        No enthusiasm for the Pac-12 CHAMPIONSHIP game?

It might be nice to honor Triplet (RIP) with a thread title like, "The Bundy Bowl: Who Will be the Pac-12's (Serial) Killer?"
                        frig off, pac has already delivered this sports chat blog’s official position on the ideal outcome of that horrid contest
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          That's 5 issues. Not even close to a 'ton.'
                          Not necessarily. If it is possible to quantify the importance of those issues in weight, and they average 400 pounds each, it would indeed be a ton of issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                            Not necessarily. If it is possible to quantify the importance of those issues in weight, and they average 400 pounds each, it would indeed be a ton of issues.
                            I'm glad someone appreciates the gravity of our predicament.

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            frig off, pac has already delivered this sports chat blog’s official position on the ideal outcome of that horrid contest
                            You don't want Jarid to weigh in?

Comment

I'm glad someone appreciates the gravity of our predicament.

You don't want Jarid to weigh in?
                              He lost a lot of weight--no where near a ton.

Comment

• Early reaction from the Texas Tech fans that I know (and I know more than anyone else on this board) is that they are not really excited about the Matt Wells hire.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X