2018 College Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    If a team isn't good enough to win their conference, they don't deserve to be in a playoff.
    Stop being obtuse. If every conference were 10 teams and played a regular season round robin, your point might have merit. As it stands, sometimes a top 8 team is a victim of a stacked division or a conference with another of the 8 best teams. That doesn’t mean they’re not one of the 8 best teams.

Personally I want the 8 best teams in the playoff. Perhaps you don’t.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      Stop being obtuse. If every conference were 10 teams and played a regular season round robin, your point might have merit. As it stands, sometimes a top 8 team is a victim of a stacked division or a conference with another of the 8 best teams. That doesn’t mean they’re not one of the 8 best teams.

I want the regular season and conference championships to mean something. Why should a team who wins a conference championship be left out while a team that they may have defeated and didn't win their division be included? Personally, I like the current format of only 4 teams because under that scenario, neither team probably gets into the playoff.
      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

It’s crazy to me that this is even debatable.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• The simplest and best way to do 8 team playoff is

P5 winners
          3 wild card games where best g5 gets a home game vs lowest ranked of remaining wild cards teams and the other 2 at homers of the highest ranked. You do this on thanksgiving weekend.
          The next week is the quarter finals at home of the highest rank then have the remaining 4 play as they do now.

This way everyone plays the same amount of games
          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
            I want the regular season and conference championships to mean something. Why should a team who wins a conference championship be left out while a team that they may have defeated and didn't win their division be included? Personally, I like the current format of only 4 teams because under that scenario, neither team probably gets into the playoff.
            Regular season will mean something (see above). The idea that the regular season won’t mean as much is the biggest straw man I’ve ever seen.

Also, we can get rid of the conference championship games. They already don’t mean anything half the time. Put the best 8 teams in the playoff. It’s just not that complicated.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Different team. Lol.
              Put the BYU team that beat Wisconsin in the playoffs. That was a different team.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• I like the system as it is. The best team still wins and Ohio State fans whine while trying to justify getting destroyed by a B1G creampuff.

Comment

Regular season will mean something (see above). The idea that the regular season won’t mean as much is the biggest straw man I’ve ever seen.
                  Of course the regular season would still mean something. I'm in favor of expanding the playoffs. But let's not pretend we don't lose anything in favor of something we want more. I have no doubt that you would draw the line somewhere, as far as how many teams to include in the playoffs.

Comment

Also, we can get rid of the conference championship games. They already don’t mean anything half the time. Put the best 8 teams in the playoff. It’s just not that complicated.
                    This is the way to do it. Get rid of conference championship games. I like a plan that will limit the power of the conference. This would be a death knell to many conferences. When I was a kid, there were many independent teams (Penn State, Florida State, etc.), I imagine there would be more under a structure like this.

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                      This is the way to do it. Get rid of conference championship games. I like a plan that will limit the power of the conference. This would be a death knell to many conferences. When I was a kid, there were many independent teams (Penn State, Florida State, etc.), I imagine there would be more under a structure like this.
                      Unless a school is Notre Dame or BYU, the better money from TV will be in conferences. Not to mention the difficulty of scheduling when not in a conference. The future structure will probably be in super conferences rather than independence. I like CCGs because I view them as the first round of a playoff. I also enjoy the week-to-week playoff nature of conferences schedules.

I think getting rid of CCGs would be a big mistake. It would lead to power/legacy teams in the same conference not playing each other so as to not jeopardize their playoff chances. Like in the good 'ol days of the SEC when Alabama and Georgia did not play each other and watched as Oklahoma-Nebraska and Michigan-Ohio St. would knock each other out of contention for the national championship.
                      Last edited by Paperback Writer; 12-30-2018, 09:38 PM.
                      “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                      "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

• When they expand to 8 teams...and the SEC gets 3 teams in, people will lose their minds.

Comment

• I am still trying to figure out how Jeff Monken does it. I think Black Knights start out ranked in the top 25. What could be if they knock off Michigan in the Big House......

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...4&action=click
                          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                            When they expand to 8 teams...and the SEC gets 3 teams in, people will lose their minds.
                            Thank you.

The rest of y’all need to stop kidding yourselves and act like you’re paying attention to the sport. If the committee picks eight teams to play, you’ll have three SEC teams, two teams from the current season’s trendiest “second-best” conference, and a crap shoot for the other three spots. And in the end you’ll get essentially the same result, but with an even more tedious bowl season than we have now.

Any suggestion to expand without reference to conference championships is seriously delusional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              Thank you.

The rest of y’all need to stop kidding yourselves and act like you’re paying attention to the sport. If the committee picks eight teams to play, you’ll have three SEC teams, two teams from the current season’s trendiest “second-best” conference, and a crap shoot for the other three spots. And in the end you’ll get essentially the same result, but with an even more tedious bowl season than we have now.

Any suggestion to expand without reference to conference championships is seriously delusional.

Comment

• strongly disagree wrt alleged tediousness of bowl season
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X