Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: 2018 College Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    These Clemson receivers are pretty incredible. Ross and his crazy catches and then Higgins on the TD. Not to mention that Lawrence and Ross are freshmen.
    Seriously Ross looked like OBJ out there.

OK, that was fun.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Princeps Inter Pares

I think BYU handles these guys. Dumb playoff format.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Default 2018 College Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    My son served his mission in Alabama. When he was out there, he said that the Alabama fans were so obnoxious that he kind of had to root for Auburn when they played each other.

Since he got home - and there are fewer Bama fans in Utah - he's evolved into a full-blown Alabama fan. Doesn't help that his wife also served in Alabama - so they support each other in their fandom. The only good part of this is that he isn't way into sports - so he isn't obnoxious in his fandom.

Anyway - with that disclosure in mind - my hate for Bama has softened. But I'm also OK with them losing.
    I know what your son means. Having served in Bama and dealt with the same obnoxious/irrational fans I could not root for them either. Still cannot..

Here is an example of a delusional Bama fan who posted tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dabrockster; 01-08-2019 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post
    I know what your son means. Having served in Bama and dealt with the same obnoxious/irrational fans I could not root for them either. Still cannot..

phew those redactions really saved that guys privacy
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Quote Originally Posted by dabrockster View Post

Inflated view of his team? Making excuses? Unwilling to accept defeat?

Hmm... that looks awfully familiar.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by old_gregg View Post
    phew those redactions really saved that guys privacy

"A friend of mine - let's call him Benjamin A.; no, that's too obvious... B. Allen - is a huge Alabama fan..."
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post

"A friend of mine - let's call him Benjamin A.; no, that's too obvious... B. Allen - is a huge Alabama fan..."
    "Pride. It's contagious. And let's just say that someone on our board has a fever."
    Last edited by LVAllen; 01-07-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Well shit.. oh well.

The way the game started, with Clemson having a 3 and out and then Bama rolling up rushing yards, I thought it was going to be a lopsided win for the Crimson Tide. The pick-6 was cool, but I thought it would be too little.

That first quarter was really fun football to watch - back and forth with big plays and on the scoreboard. Clemson pulling away the rest of the game was great because everyone hates Bama.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    The way the game started, with Clemson having a 3 and out and then Bama rolling up rushing yards, I thought it was going to be a lopsided win for the Crimson Tide. The pick-6 was cool, but I thought it would be too little.

That first quarter was really fun football to watch - back and forth with big plays and on the scoreboard. Clemson pulling away the rest of the game was great because everyone hates Bama.
    Lawrence hasn't been great this year. he's been good for a true frosh, but for much of the year he was more of a game manager who allowed the run game to lead them to wins. i think it was the first pass he threw once they got the ball back after bama's TD, he sailed it over one of their tall receivers heads from about 10 yards away - just a terrible pass and i thought the moment would be too big for him. it was at that point i thought it would be a blow out for bama. but clemson made those red zone stops, lawrence settled in and gained confidence and here we are.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Lawrence hasn't been great this year. he's been good for a true frosh, but for much of the year he was more of a game manager who allowed the run game to lead them to wins. i think it was the first pass he threw once they got the ball back after bama's TD, he sailed it over one of their tall receivers heads from about 10 yards away - just a terrible pass and i thought the moment would be too big for him. it was at that point i thought it would be a blow out for bama. but clemson made those red zone stops, lawrence settled in and gained confidence and here we are.
    Those receivers were amazing for clemson. That one handed grab

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    Those receivers were amazing for clemson. That one handed grab
    ross was ridiculous.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

A couple of wrap-up thoughts about last night's game experience... Over the years, I've moved increasingly toward staying at home in favor of the live experience, usually enjoying better views, far greater convenience, cheaper, etc. But last night was a great reminder of why "being there" has some considerable advantages. Not even caring that much about the game itself, I was caught up in the tremendous electricity generated by both fan bases--the enthusiasm was palpable I felt lucky to be there. I need to get out more...

Both fan bases were great and the atmosphere was awesome, even after the game, although Bama fans were understandably far more subdued, but still good-natured. I was walking ahead of a couple of Tide fans and heard one of them say, "Dayum, if I wanted to get abused like that I woulda stayed home with muh wife!" But even they were laughing about the experience.

The fears about Levi's Stadium being a lousy place to host the NC proved unfounded, I think. They're reporting only a couple hundred unsold seats, with maybe a few hundred no shows. The weather was about perfect (lucky timing) and the field looked great. Now if only the Niners can get good again that'll be a pretty nice stadium to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Spicoli is doing pretty good as QB.

(Has that joke been done before? I feel like it should have been done before)
    I have a cousin who is a "lifelong" Bama fan. I called him out on it last year on Facebook, and he said, "I'm from there." To my knowledge, he had only lived in two Western states his entire life. His mom came to his defense, explaining that he lived in Alabama from birth to six months while his dad was working on a project in Mobile. I stand corrected.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I have a cousin who is a "lifelong" Bama fan. I called him out on it last year on Facebook, and he said, "I'm from there." To my knowledge, he had only lived in two Western states his entire life. His mom came to his defense, explaining that he lived in Alabama from birth to six months while his dad was working on a project in Mobile. I stand corrected.
    I lived the same amount of time (birth to 6 months) in Corvallis, Oregon. Still waiting to for the Beavers to win something so I can claim them.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Quote Originally Posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    I lived the same amount of time (birth to 6 months) in Corvallis, Oregon. Still waiting to for the Beavers to win something so I can claim them.
    Wtf, the beavers dominate college baseball, and don't forget when they bitch slapped Notre Dame in the fiesta bowl.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

Wtf, the beavers dominate college baseball, and don't forget when they bitch slapped Notre Dame in the fiesta bowl.
    Apologies for the slight to the Oregon St. Beavers. But in 2000, the Beavers were coached by Dennis Erickson and I couldn't get on the bandwagon after his years at Miami. I limit my college sports fandom to football and women's volleyball so was not aware of the Beaver's baseball prowess. If/when the Beavers make it to the Rose Bowl, I'll be reclaiming my birthright unless they happen to face Nebraska. Admittedly, the odds of a Beavers-Cornhuskers Rose Bowl are long.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    My oldest son was born in Columbus, Ohio and lived there for less than a week before we made our move to Oregon. I have been raising him as an Ohio State fan and hope he always will be. My daughter was born in Eugene, Oregon and only lived there for about 18 months. I have been raising her as an Oregon fan and hope she always will be.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Quote Originally Posted by BrutusBuckeye View Post
    My oldest son was born in Columbus, Ohio and lived there for less than a week before we made our move to Oregon. I have been raising him as an Ohio State fan and hope he always will be. My daughter was born in Eugene, Oregon and only lived there for about 18 months. I have been raising her as an Oregon fan and hope she always will be.
    Ugh, you are a bad person.

Ugh, you are a bad person.
    I didn't even mention my two youngest sons. They were born in Salt Lake and are big Utah fans.
    When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

I didn't even mention my two youngest sons. They were born in Salt Lake and are big Utah fans.
    Talk about dysfunctional family!

Damn Brutus, pick a lane!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

For a moment I was super proud and then you went and shizzed all over it..

Both my kids were born on day of The Michigan Game. They both waited till after the game to put my wife into labor. Oh, and we won the game that year too.

My oldest son was born in Columbus, Ohio and lived there for less than a week before we made our move to Oregon. I have been raising him as an Ohio State fan and hope he always will be.
    At the bowl game we met an OU fan who claimed the school as his own by virtue of the fact that he was born at a military base in Oklahoma less than a week before his family relocated pursuant to a reassignment order. He’s never returned to the state. The guy was probably 60 years old but wholly unfamiliar with the Three Dog Night song about that very scenario. How is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    At the bowl game we met an OU fan who claimed the school as his own by virtue of the fact that he was born at a military base in Oklahoma less than a week before his family relocated pursuant to a reassignment order. He’s never returned to the state. The guy was probably 60 years old but wholly unfamiliar with the Three Dog Night song about that very scenario. How is this possible?
    Can I claim OU as one of my teams - I spent about 5 yrs of my youth at an OK Army base between 1960-1970 and another 6 mths while I was in the Army

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Man Hager has really let himself go since the bowl game.

DxIVyLTVYAUEBN8.jpg

There's probably a better thread for this, but here are the total revenue numbers for some of the programs in Utah and the MWC (didn't see anything reported for Air Force) according to the Equity in Athletics website:

Utah 82,467,618
    BYU 79,644,919
    Colorado State 55,228,814
    San Diego State 54,893,977
    Fresno State 49,472,907
    Hawaii 42,987,651
    UNLV 41,859,319
    Nevada 41,381,120
    New Mexico 40,693,911
    Wyoming 40,693,911
    Boise State 38,060,709
    San Jose State 35,089,263
    Utah State 33,848,199
    Weber State 14,901,150
    Utah Valley 13,605,718
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96