Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just inherited a Rolex Chronograph Oyster Perpetual - Real or Fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just inherited a Rolex Chronograph Oyster Perpetual - Real or Fake?

Does anybody here know their Rolex's? I'm dubious as to its authenticity.

20180827_162652[1].jpg
    Attached Files

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

does it tick-tok?
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Post a video of the second hand movement; won't be definitive but can rule out a lot of fakes.

P.S. After I posted the above, I showed the pics to my watch-aficionado partner and he couldn't tell, although he's not a Rolex guy. He said that there are lot of watches out there that are non-Rolex but that are rebuilt using a Rolex-branded part or two. He recommended you email Hodinkee a picture of the watch and they'll probably tell you within a few minutes whether you've got a fake.

Meanwhile, I look to Uncle Ted for my modest, personal chronograph needs.
      Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 08-27-2018, 05:06 PM.

Comment

give us some pics of the case back. Also, what size is the case?
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

My FIL gave me a fake Rolex for one Christmas. I wasn't disappointed; it had the usual motion-winding mechanism and it looked authentic. It even impressed some of my med school colleagues. It stopped working after a couple of years.

It looked different than yours though.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

It's a perpetual... so it has to be loaded with action. Not ticking at the moment. If it's smooth running it might be real... if it pulses it might be quartz actuated. We'll have to see. The back looks ill finished. I'm pretty sure it's a knock-off... there goes $20,000.

A new guy just moved into our ward... he's a professional jeweler at a big chain... I'll have to have him tell me.

20180827_174932[1].jpg
            Last edited by clackamascoug; 08-27-2018, 05:56 PM.

Comment

looks fake
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Looks pretty hammered either way.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Looks pretty hammered either way.
                  I cleaned it since the picture, it's looks better, but yeah, it's kind of hammered.

That picture of the back looks like pretty bad craftsmanship. The case is unpolished. It showed up today in the mail from my step-mom. She decided to give it to me... ten years after my dads death. I don't want to insult her by calling her up and asking if it's real. She probably wouldn't know anyway. My dad was pretty unpretentious, I can't imagine him wearing a Rolex, or spending a couple of grand on one.

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    It's a perpetual... so it has to be loaded with action. Not ticking at the moment. If it's smooth running it might be real... if it pulses it might be quartz actuated. We'll have to see. The back looks ill finished. I'm pretty sure it's a knock-off... there goes $20,000.

A new guy just moved into our ward... he's a professional jeweler at a big chain... I'll have to have him tell me.

[ATTACH]9002[/ATTACH]
                    It's a fake, or a replica as they prefer to be called.

A real Rolex will have solid end links, like this:

Also, Rolex only made a very few quartz watches, and they said quartz on the dial. Those are basically collectors edition now.
                    Last edited by falafel; 08-27-2018, 09:06 PM.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

Also, Rolex only made a very few quartz watches, and they said quartz on the dial. Those are basically collectors edition now.
                      Yeah... with that photo... you can see the quality difference a mile away. I wonder what the story is behind the watch... I'm going to need to make some discreet inquiries, maybe say thanks for the surprise... what's the story behind the watch as I didn't know about it. I don't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

Comment

Like others have said, it looks like a knock off. But congrats. I’ve never seen a knock off last through that kind of wear. Usually you’re lucky if you get a year of wear. Two max. That looks like it’s been through a few wars.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

Actually, they weren't always solid end links.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...l-perspectives

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            Actually, they weren't always solid end links.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ro...l-perspectives

Those are essentially variations on solid end links. Regardless, they were never the cheap fold-over links, pretending to be solid end links, like this watch has.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Called step-mom this morning... and asked about the back story on the watch. She apologized for sending a Rolex that she knew was a fake and not telling me. Turned into a half hour conversation about the other kids in the family. It was nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X