• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, good chance Utah doesn't make the tournament:

RPI
    Code:
    43                   Utah         Pac-12  13-12   3-5   4-9
    And the RPI is likely not the problem. I believe you need a winning record to go so they need to go 3-3 or better in their last 6 games. But I would say that has a 50% chance or less of happening.
    Last edited by pelagius; 11-05-2018, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
      Also, good chance Utah doesn't make the tournament:

RPI
      Code:
      43                   Utah         Pac-12  13-12   3-5   4-9
      And the RPI is likely not the problem. I believe you need a winning record to go so they need to go 3-3 or better in their last 6 games. But I would say that has a 50% chance or less of happening.
      Wally will be doubly happy.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Real blow tonight ... Miller went down with some sort of knee injury. I would not be surprised if it's an ACL. Really bad blow for both BYU and Miller; she was playing so well. I doubt BYU is better than the 10-20 range without her.

Comment

Real blow tonight ... Miller went down with some sort of knee injury. I would not be surprised if it's an ACL. Really bad blow for both BYU and Miller; she was playing so well. I doubt BYU is better than the 10-20 range without her.
          First match I've watched all year. They almost lost the first set and then that gruesome-looking knee injury. Maybe I shouldn't watch any more matches?
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            First match I've watched all year. They almost lost the first set and then that gruesome-looking knee injury. Maybe I shouldn't watch any more matches?
            Dang you Pelado!

Comment

Real blow tonight ... Miller went down with some sort of knee injury. I would not be surprised if it's an ACL. Really bad blow for both BYU and Miller; she was playing so well. I doubt BYU is better than the 10-20 range without her.
              Any chance it's not so severe and that she can recover? This was a magical season up until that note. I've been searching to see if there is any news.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                Any chance it's not so severe and that she can recover? This was a magical season up until that note. I've been searching to see if there is any news.
                No. They announced she's out for the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                  No. They announced she's out for the year.
                  That truly sucks. Bet on Stanford to win the natty and BYU will be lucky to get beyond 8. This is BYU's problem in all sports, a lack of depth when tragedy strikes. Damn, damn, damn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    That truly sucks. Bet on Stanford to win the natty and BYU will be lucky to get beyond 8.
                    Oh, I'd take that bet. Stanford has the highest chance of any one team, but I don't think they have a higher probability than the field.

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    This is BYU's problem in all sports, a lack of depth when tragedy strikes. Damn, damn, damn.
                    I agree this is generally a problem but I don't think this is a significant problem in either Men's and Women's volleyball. BYU has been extremely unlucky with pin hitters in the last 12 months. They've lost 3 really talented pin hitters in that span. That would test the depth of even the likes of Stanford. BYU has pretty good depth. Madi Robinson will be a good replacement; the left side is her natural position and I expect her to step up and play well. That said, there will be a drop-off. Miller is not a top 5 pin hitter in the country like RJP, but she's still very good/close to elite. She definitely deserved to be a at least a third team all-american this year, and I think you would be hard pressed to find 20 pin hitters in the country that are better. Probably no team can replace that with zero drop-off.

Comment

• Just got back from the match. Just a few observations:

1. Really nice to see BYU respond like that after losing Miller. I think that's hardest I've seen BYU play in a while (I think they've been in cruise control lately).

2. Robinson played well; she has such a nice swing from the left side. I definitely think we are going to see her as a six rotation OH next year.

3. I thought most of the adjustments BYU made in the absence of Miller were exactly what one would expect. For example, heavier utilization of Gneiting in slides and straight RS swings. However, I didn't expect the adjustments to serve-receive. They used Robinson as a passer more than they would have with Miller. That frees up RJP more like a backrow opposite (like on the men's side) for some rotations. I like that.

4. I really liked Stetler's float (she getting Miller's serve rotations); not sure there is much of a drop off. You do lose the ability to run the D-set like they used to do with Miller in that position. I doubt Stetler can run that.

Comment

Just got back from the match. Just a few observations:

1. Really nice to see BYU respond like that after losing Miller. I think that's hardest I've seen BYU play in a while (I think they've been in cruise control lately).

2. Robinson played well; she has such a nice swing from the left side. I definitely think we are going to see her as a six rotation OH next year.

3. I thought most of the adjustments BYU made in the absence of Miller were exactly what one would expect. For example, heavier utilization of Gneiting in slides and straight RS swings. However, I didn't expect the adjustments to serve-receive. They used Robinson as a passer more than they would have with Miller. That frees up RJP more like a backrow opposite (like on the men's side) for some rotations. I like that.

4. I really liked Stetler's float (she getting Miller's serve rotations); not sure there is much of a drop off. You do lose the ability to run the D-set like they used to do with Miller in that position. I doubt Stetler can run that.
                        Will any of the three remaining conference games challenge BYU?

Do you see BYU likely winning games at home? I am assuming BYU wins out in conference and is one of the Final Four teams. I can imagine BYU making it to the Final Four depending who BYU's opponent is in the Regional Final.

Comment

Just got back from the match. Just a few observations:

This is good news. I love me some Lacey Haddock, but as a hitter, I think she more crafty than a powerful hitter, and in a tournament setting, the other teams will be good enough to defend her tips and rolls.
                          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            This is good news. I love me some Lacey Haddock, but as a hitter, I think she more crafty than a powerful hitter, and in a tournament setting, the other teams will be good enough to defend her tips and rolls.
                            Lacey H. played RS, and Robinson played LS

Comment

Lacey H. played RS, and Robinson played LS
                              No Ballard at opposite?
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                                No Ballard at opposite?
                                None, very little subbing in general, I'm assuming Olmstead wants this line-up to gel together. Lyman played back row for RJP at the end of one set ...
                                Last edited by pelagius; 11-12-2018, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X