No announcement yet.

Womens’ Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure most of these responses are motivated be a need to make Topper feel loved (which is aa good idea), but I do think BYU has exceeded expectations given the Miller injury. Furthermore, being seeded 4th overall doesn't mean you should expect that team make the final 4. I think in the majority of cases the cumulative probability of losing in the 64/32/16/8 rounds are higher than 50% even for a team that was appropriately seeded and playing at home (home court advantage isn't that big). We would expect the 4th seed to make it more often than the 5th seed and the 13th, and the 29th and the 61st individually but not necessarily collectively.

Here is the string of odds I had for the matches (I think I posted most of these):

0.99*0.8*.75*.70 = 0.42

Of course, these may be wrong. But my expectation was that BYU wouldn't make the final 4. They had a good chance, but a better chance of dropping a match before they got there.

**Note, I am playing fast and loose with the joint probability. I only showed the path that happened. Not full possible paths: e.g., Denver beats Utah, etc. When I did that before the the tournament started I think I had like 0.48.
    Last edited by pelagius; 12-13-2018, 09:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
      I'm sure most of these responses are motivated be a need to make Topper feel loved (which is aa good idea), but I do think BYU has exceeded expectations given the Miller injury. Furthermore, being seeded 4th overall doesn't mean you should expect that team make the final 4. I think in the majority of cases the cumulative probability of losing in the 64/32/16/8 rounds are higher than 50% even for a team that was appropriately seeded and playing at home (home court advantage isn't that big). We would expect the 4th seed to make it more often than the 5th seed and the 13th, and the 29th and the 61st individually but not necessarily collectively.

Here is the string of odds I had for the matches (I think I posted most of these):

0.99*0.8*.75*.70 = 0.42

Of course, these may be wrong. But my expectation was that BYU wouldn't make the final 4. They had a good chance, but a better chance of dropping a match before they got there.
      What are your odds for tonight? I am thinking 30-40%
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        What are your odds for tonight? I am thinking 30-40%
        47%
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Comment

• First brother-sister duo to win NCOY awards, I bet!

Comment

cool!
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I'm sure most of these responses are motivated be a need to make Topper feel loved (which is aa good idea), but I do think BYU has exceeded expectations given the Miller injury. Furthermore, being seeded 4th overall doesn't mean you should expect that team make the final 4. I think in the majority of cases the cumulative probability of losing in the 64/32/16/8 rounds are higher than 50% even for a team that was appropriately seeded and playing at home (home court advantage isn't that big). We would expect the 4th seed to make it more often than the 5th seed and the 13th, and the 29th and the 61st individually but not necessarily collectively.

0.99*0.8*.75*.70 = 0.42

**Note, I am playing fast and loose with the joint probability. I only showed the path that happened. Not full possible paths: e.g., Denver beats Utah, etc. When I did that before the the tournament started I think I had like 0.48.
                smr, LC, falafel, Dh, GM pelagius
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  smr, LC, falafel, Dh, GM pelagius
                  Not really.

The Topper's pessimism has reached unforeseen levels with this year's women's volleyball team. If P-lag had them at 42% chance of reaching the FF (which is honestly, quite high...my guess is that few were higher), that's likely 10x of Topper's pre-tourney expectations.
                  Last edited by Green Monstah; 12-13-2018, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• That's what happens when you can't pass.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

• Lousy game for RJP to play so poorly.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

• Shyte passing isn't helping. It's never over until it's over in volleyball, but this thing is pretty much over. The team looks completely discombobulated.
                        Last edited by Donuthole; 12-13-2018, 05:00 PM.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Wow pretty awful ... fun season though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            That's what happens when you can't pass.
                            Yep, you've always been able to expose RJP on the serve receive, but Stanford was able to get both Stetler and Martingdale too.

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            Lousy game for RJP to play so poorly.
                            Yep, that was odd. So much swinging low into the block even when in system. Not sure what to make of it. On the other hand, everybody has bad matches and she delivered so many great moments. The whole team did. Next year should be fun. I'm hopeful that Kate Grimmer will finally give BYU a reliable opposite and Miller can come back to give BYU a first rate OH1. I also liked that Madi Robinson kept swinging hard.
                            Last edited by pelagius; 12-13-2018, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• Boo.

Still a great year. Proud of the team.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Was hoping for a BYU-Nebraska final. Nebraska came back against Illinois after losing first two sets.
                                “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                                "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Working...
                                X