Womens’ Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
    BYU beats Weber St -18, -18, -16 in Ogden. Weber St. is probably somewhere between 100 - 150 in terms of quality. Not a very sharp outing for BYU overall; of course, Weber St fans broke out the overrated chant at the end (which did amuse me).

So Robinson got to serve a couple times today. She does have a nice jump-spin serve; very high velocity for the women's game. Not a great match for her in terms of hitting.
    Does that mean BYU won by 18, 18, and 16?
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      Does that mean BYU won by 18, 18, and 16?
      Weber St score in each set.

Comment

Weber St score in each set.
        I see.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

BYU beats Weber St -18, -18, -16 in Ogden. Weber St. is probably somewhere between 100 - 150 in terms of quality. Not a very sharp outing for BYU overall; of course, Weber St fans broke out the overrated chant at the end (which did amuse me).

So Robinson got to serve a couple times today. She does have a nice jump-spin serve; very high velocity for the women's game. Not a great match for her in terms of hitting.
          Wait a minute. We swept them at their place and they were doing the overrated chant? I don’t get it.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Wait a minute. We swept them at their place and they were doing the overrated chant? I don’t get it.
            Sounds like you do get it ... Yeah, BYU won each set very easily but I guess the Weber St fans thought if BYU was really the #1 team they would have held them to like 10 points each set (I actually think if BYU was playing well they would have held Weber St to the low teens).

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              Heather thinks Utah is better than anyone they have played outside of Stanford. She thinks they are a legit top 10 team.
              I agreed with her until the injury to their all PAC MB.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                I DVRd and then my daughter and I got up early and watched this morning before we left for school/work. First set got off to a slow start, but after that it was all downhill. Also, I have a minor crush on the lefty outside hitter for Utah (#1, can't remember her name) as well as the Utes' libero. But I was still glad to see them lose.
                Dani. Her whole family are Ute athletes and she’s a total doll.

Comment

Should be another strong outing tonight, but we'll see how Heather keeps the girls hungry against these conference opponents. If I read the standings correctly, the strongest opposition should come from San Diego and LMU.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    Should be another strong outing tonight, but we'll see how Heather keeps the girls hungry against these conference opponents. If I read the standings correctly, the strongest opposition should come from San Diego and LMU.
                    Saint Mary's is having a nice season; they beat San Diego tonight in 5 sets in San Diego (San Diego is talented by they are super young ... high volatility). Also, Portland is having a pretty nice season as well.

WCC has generally been a pretty good Volleyball conference, but it sure seems like in the last few years the conference has been hurt by lots of transfers. Outside of BYU and San Diego, many of the best players transfer to PAC-12 teams. USC has a ton of them. Remember, in volleyball you can transfer and play immediately.

Comment

Some thoughts on the match with Pacific

1. Was happy to see Taylen Ballard get extended playing time. She entered middle of the first set and played until middle of the third (Olmstead put in Lewis-Bushman towards the end of the third). She definitely looked tentative in her swings. On the other hand, I don't remember her getting very many good sets; it just looked like the timing was off between her and Haddock-Eppich (probably to be expected). Even in her blocking she looked very deliberate in her steps laterally, but boy that's a nice looking blocking front when she is in.

2. The box score says attendance was 2,200; my guess while at the match was around 2,000. Good student crowd on the south side though. They were loud.

3. Miller is having a nice year. Much better swing selection this year. In particularly it seems to me she is much more effective with high hand swings than last year.

Comment

Some thoughts on the match with Pacific

1. Was happy to see Taylen Ballard get extended playing time. She entered middle of the first set and played until middle of the third (Olmstead put in Lewis-Bushman towards the end of the third). She definitely looked tentative in her swings. On the other hand, I don't remember her getting very many good sets; it just looked like the timing was off between her and Haddock-Eppich (probably to be expected). Even in her blocking she looked very deliberate in her steps laterally, but boy that's a nice looking blocking front when she is in.

2. The box score says attendance was 2,200; my guess while at the match was around 2,000. Good student crowd on the south side though. They were loud.

3. Miller is having a nice year. Much better swing selection this year. In particularly it seems to me she is much more effective with high hand swings than last year.

Ballard is an upgrade over Robinson when it comes to blocking. I agree that she looked a little off, but after major knee surgery, it probably takes some time to fully trust the knee on take off and landing. It was good to see a lot of the bench players get some PT. I don't recall seeing Lacey Haddock...and I kind of feel bad for her. She got decent PT as a sophomore, and is likely buried on the bench her senior year.
                        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                          I don't recall seeing Lacey Haddock...and I kind of feel bad for her. She got decent PT as a sophomore, and is likely buried on the bench her senior year.
                          Yeah, she is really getting a buried on the depth chart now; I think the last match she got a lot of time in was USC. She did get in towards the end of the 2nd set last night. Olmstead actually put her in on the left side; Pacific made that mini-run and Olmstead put Miller back in.

Comment

The St. Mary's match looms larger after their win streak and surprise win at San Diego. If the conference is having a truly down year, I worry about BYU's preparation for tough matches in the tourney.
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                              The St. Mary's match looms larger after their win streak and surprise win at San Diego. If the conference is having a truly down year, I worry about BYU's preparation for tough matches in the tourney.
                              The critical thing is to get home court advantage until the final four; if BYU can do that I'm not worried not being optimally battle tested.

Comment

Saint Mary's is a top 40 team, and BYU just absolutely crushed them.

Comment

Working...
                                X