Womens’ Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. She is incredible.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
      We cleared the benches early too.
      What's this equivalent to in football terms, a 60 - 0 victory? It seems as if most of the conference won't offer much of a challenge with the exception of LMU, maybe St. Mary's and San Diego. This year though it seems BYU is a cut above most teams not named Stanford.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
        This year though it seems BYU is a cut above most teams not named Stanford.
        Nebraska is really good too. They lost to a good Florida team the 1st match of the season, but that was before Lexi Sun (a very good OH2) came back from injury. I don't think there is much difference between BYU, Stanford, and Nebraska. I don't think Foecke is quite as good as RJP and Plummer but she's close. So Nebraska also has one of the very best OH in the country. I also think Minnesota will likely be with that group by the end of the season. They are super athletic and their speed to the pins is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
          Nebraska is really good too. They lost to a good Florida team the 1st match of the season, but that was before Lexi Sun (a very good OH2) came back from injury. I don't think there is much difference between BYU, Stanford, and Nebraska. I don't think Foecke is quite as good as RJP and Plummer but she's close. So Nebraska also has one of the very best OH in the country. I also think Minnesota will likely be with that group by the end of the season. They are super athletic and their speed to the pins is impressive.
          Too bad Ballard isn't playing up to expectations. That would make BYU exceptionally dangerous. Let's hope this is BYU's year.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

BYU 3-0 over Portland. Another dominating performance against a midrange (top 50ish RPI) team.

San Diego looks good; their young hitters are starting to play pretty well. San Diego at San Diego is going to be a real test.

Comment

BYU 3-0 over Portland. Another dominating performance against a midrange (top 50ish RPI) team.

San Diego looks good; their young hitters are starting to play pretty well. San Diego at San Diego is going to be a real test.
              I bet they tie.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                I bet they tie.
                I think that would only happen if Marshall Faulk's daughter played for them.

Comment

One real upside of Robinson getting so much time this year is it will really help with the transition to the post RJP era. I'm pretty confident they move her to the left side next year and use her as a six rotation OH. She is going to be great on the left side. You can already see it; how quickly she can turn it and the angles she can get when she gets to hit on the left side this year are pretty great.

Comment

I think that would only happen if Marshall Faulk's daughter played for them.
                    Ha, excellent reference.
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Other night I decided to write a web-scraper that scraped volleyball scores off of stats.ncaa.org. So I did a statistical model to estimate volleyball ranking based on point differential set by set. I was kind of surprised, BYU actually came out on top (I figured it would be Stanford):

Code:
                                           team     rating
                      1                     BYU  25.129406
                      2                Stanford  24.686814
                      3                Nebraska  23.244137
                      4               Minnesota  23.091123
                      5                Illinois  22.727296
                      6               Wisconsin  22.645981
                      7              Pittsburgh  22.189310
                      8                   Texas  21.877285
                      9     Southern California  21.679666
                      10               Michigan  21.616609
                      Could be an error; my web-scraper is probably not at 100% accuracy in terms of parsing the scores (although I didn't find any errors with my latest spot checking). So there you go, BYU really is #1 (ok, the difference between BYU and Stanford is by no means statistically meaningful).
                      Last edited by pelagius; 09-30-2018, 01:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        Ha, excellent reference.
                        decent reference - taking the liberty with San Diego vs San Diego State takes it down a notch.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                          One real upside of Robinson getting so much time this year is it will really help with the transition to the post RJP era. I'm pretty confident they move her to the left side next year and use her as a six rotation OH. She is going to be great on the left side. You can already see it; how quickly she can turn it and the angles she can get when she gets to hit on the left side this year are pretty great.
                          I agree �� Her build is that of an OH and so is her game. She can pass nails too.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                            Other night I decided to write a web-scraper that scraped volleyball scores off of stats.ncaa.org. So I did a statistical model to estimate volleyball ranking based on point differential set by set. I was kind of surprised, BYU actually came out on top (I figured it would be Stanford):

Code:
                                                 team     rating
                            1                     BYU  25.129406
                            2                Stanford  24.686814
                            3                Nebraska  23.244137
                            4               Minnesota  23.091123
                            5                Illinois  22.727296
                            6               Wisconsin  22.645981
                            7              Pittsburgh  22.189310
                            8                   Texas  21.877285
                            9     Southern California  21.679666
                            10               Michigan  21.616609

Could be an error; my web-scraper is probably not at 100% accuracy in terms of parsing the scores (although I didn't find any errors with my latest spot checking). So there you go, BYU really is #1 (ok, the difference between BYU and Stanford is by no means statistically meaningful).
                            3 of the top four have BYU head coaches and the 4th has a BYU assistant.

Comment

• Now that have data, I can actually estimate win probability. So, here is my estimated win probability for the BYU @ San Diego match this Friday:

Code:
                              Rankings
                                                   team     rating   win  loss
                              1                     BYU  24.671649  15.0   0.0
                              37              San Diego  18.097928   7.0   7.0

Prob 
                              Match   0.92   
                              3 Sets  0.59
                              4 Sets  0.28
                              5 Sets  0.05
                              But San Diego is playing significantly better than their 37 ranking suggests. I think they are playing more like the a 20-25 ranked team. Assuming they are really 20th in quality we get the following:

Code:
                                      Prob 
                              Match  0.874
                              3 Sets 0.502
                              4 Sets 0.309
                              5 Sets 0.063
                              Last edited by pelagius; 09-30-2018, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                                3 of the top four have BYU head coaches and the 4th has a BYU assistant.
                                Hambly was from my home burgh. Good kid. We pummeled his team in the Deacons Hoop Tourney.
                                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X