Womens’ Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    We gave the same chant back to them post game though, right?
    Wait, I forgot, the students did one towards the end of the third set.

Comment

• Two WCC teams in the sweet 16; San Diego swept USC.

Comment

• 1. BYU was just really successful at targeting Drews on serve receive. I thought Utah made a mistake by leaving her in the backrow. I know they want her available for the BIC, but it's hard to run when she's targeted like that. Don't get me wrong, she's a very good OH, but she couldn't handle BYU's serves.

2. BYU did a great job of targeting specific people. Their number one go to was Drews unless Gauta was in a serve-receive spot (relatively rare) and then they immediately went after her. BYU rarely missed their target.

3. Really nice passing and defensive match in general for Stetler.

4. Both Haddock-Eppich and Lake are hitting much flatter more aggressive floats than they were in the WCC season.

4. Robinson's stats weren't great (0.167 if I remember right), but I thought she was effective enough at terminating with good hard swings. It kept the middle open. I think that's exactly how you want her to swing. She's going to have a higher error rate than Miller would, but I think her kill% will be good if she swings like that. She's got a cannon.

5. Utah tried a lot of short serves. I think that was bad strategy. Lake is just too good and can cover too much territory for that to work.

6. Haddock-Eppich's low quick sets to the middle were just really well placed all night long. Utah was camping on RJP and they couldn't get back laterally given the quickness of those sets.
        Last edited by pelagius; 12-02-2018, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
          1. BYU was just really successful at targeting Drews on serve receive. I thought Utah made a mistake by leaving her in the backrow. I know they want her available for the BIC, but it's hard to run when she's targeted like that. Don't get me wrong, she's a very good OH, but she couldn't handle BYU's serves.

2. BYU did a great job of targeting specific people. Their number one go to was Drews unless Gauta was in a serve-receive spot (relatively rare) and then they immediately went after her. BYU rarely missed their target.

3. Really nice passing and defensive match in general for Stetler.

4. Both Haddock-Eppich and Lake are hitting much flatter more aggressive floats than they were in the WCC season.

4. Robinson's stats weren't great (0.167 if I remember right), but I thought she was effective enough at terminating with good hard swings. It kept the middle open. I think that's exactly how you want her to swing. She's going to have a higher error rate than Miller would, but I think her kill% will be good if she swings like that. She's got a cannon.

5. Utah tried a lot of short serves. I think that was bad strategy. Lake is just too good and can cover too much territory for that to work.

6. Haddock-Eppich's low quick sets to the middle were just really well placed all night long. Utah was camping on RJP and they couldn't get back laterally given the quickness of those sets.
          Any preview of the Florida game?

They have a 6'8" MB, Rachel Kramer, and 6'1" OH in Paige Hammons, plus they have a heralded freshman class. They were ranked #18 before the Tourney.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• I've watched them a little. They are really big and physical. I think they have a 6-8 middle and 6-7 OPP. I think its the biggest team BYU has played since Stanford. BYU is smaller than when they played Stanford. So will that give BYU trouble?

That said I think the teams that give BYU the most trouble are fast quick setting offenses. So I actually expect BYU to match up well because unless they've changed, Florida isn't a particularly uptempo offense.

I think Thayer Hall (did her parents name her after the University building they met in?) is their best player. She reminds me of McKenna Miller
            Last edited by pelagius; 12-02-2018, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I've watched them a little. They are really big and physical. I think they have a 6-8 middle and 6-7 OPP. I think its the biggest team BYU has played since Stanford. BYU is smaller than when they played Stanford. So will that give BYU trouble?

That said I think the teams that give BYU the most trouble are fast quick setting offenses. So I actually expect BYU to match up well because unless they've changed, Florida isn't a particularly uptempo offense.

I think Thayer Hall (did her parents name her after the University building they met in?) is their best player. She reminds me of McKenna Miller
              That is why Minnesota would be a match up. Of course to get there they would have to go through Florida, Tex and Stanford.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Just watched a little bit more of Florida. One clarification: they run highball sets (so slow) to the outside, but try to go pretty quick to the middles. When I said quick above I really was referring to how they set the pins.

Comment

Just watched a little bit more of Florida. One clarification: they run highball sets (so slow) to the outside, but try to go pretty quick to the middles. When I said quick above I really was referring to how they set the pins.
                  I think our middles aren’t outmatched from a size perspective. I also think we have guys who can dig the ball against huge hitters as long as our blockers get in place. Most of all, I like serving against big teams at altitude. 2 points per set for that at a minimum.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                    I think our middles aren’t outmatched from a size perspective. I also think we have guys who can dig the ball against huge hitters as long as our blockers get in place. Most of all, I like serving against big teams at altitude. 2 points per set for that at a minimum.
                    Very much agree on all three points. Additionally, I think Gneiting will be the best middle on the court. Certainly, the most athletic.

I think both of Florida's OHs run all six rotations (unless they quit doing that with Hall after she came back from injury). Just based on limited watching I think BYU targets Thayer Hall. We will see how she holds up.
                    Last edited by pelagius; 12-02-2018, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Very much agree on all three points. Additionally, I think Gneiting will be the best middle on the court. Certainly, the most athletic.

I think both of Florida's OHs run all six rotations (unless they quit doing that with Hall after she came back from injury). Just based on limited watching I think BYU targets Thayer Hall. We will see how she holds up.
                      I watched a few Florida matches sans Thayer Hall, and they looked very beatable. Against Tennessee (who is a solid program), they got worked over repeatedly. Maybe Hall is a difference maker. We'll see.

I also watched Minnesota's first round game. They're good, no doubt, but I don't feel like I did against PSU in 2014, where BYU was drastically less talented than the Nittany Lions. Minnesota can beat us and vice versa.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                        I watched a few Florida matches sans Thayer Hall, and they looked very beatable. Against Tennessee (who is a solid program), they got worked over repeatedly. Maybe Hall is a difference maker. We'll see.
                        Yeah, I think the odds are roughly in the 75%-80% range that BYU beats Florida. In fact, I like both the Florida and Texas matchups for BYU. Texas' is a little more worrisome given their middles are crazy athletic (particularly Butler), but I think BYU can win the serve/receive battle against Texas. Michigan I've never seen play.

Comment

• Besides Pelagius, who else is attending in person? Looking forward to a nice series of wins, but also worried as usual.

Comment

• Dominant after that first set. Horns down.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Dominant after that first set. Horns down.
                              Yep. That was fun to watch.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Just got back from the match. Not many thoughts, maybe more later:

1. Wow, that was fun

2. Florida's serving in the first set was just so good. I was just hoping they would come back down to earth a little. Which they did.

3. Eschenberg was so good all match long. She's a seriously underrated middle. Also, it amuses me that among the very accomplished volleyball family that is the Eschenbergs, the daughter in law is the best one (so far).

4. At some point (I think early second set) BYU figured out how to read the middle attack better. Impressive adjustment.

5. Florida's block is really good but the rest of the defense isn't that good.

Comment

Working...
                                X