Womens’ Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Womens’ Volleyball 2018

I’m surprised Wally didn’t beat me to it, but the Cougs has a preaseason game against UVU last weekend. They won the match 3-0, but it was not a convincing win.

The Good:

Roni Perry’s hitting in the 2nd and 3rd sets
    Mary Lake’s digging
    Heather Gneiting in the middle

Freshman Madi Robinson as an OPP

The Bad:

Passing and setting. RJP in particular looks to have taken a step back defensively.

RJP’s first set

The Ugly:

McKenna Miller’s entire match. It’s hard to believe she was a 3rd team AA as a freshman.
    Last edited by Green Monstah; 08-20-2018, 02:45 PM.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

It was pretty ugly match but I'm not going to infer much from it. To me BYU can make the final four if the following happens:

1. BYU gets good (doesn't need to be great) production on the right side. Maybe (as Green Monstah hints) Madi Robinson can do it. She jumps really well. Robinson is a bit undersized so it would be nice if Ballard gets healthy enough to give Olmstead flexibility based on the matchup.

Not sure anything else needs to happen. Sure, improved setting would help but I think we know Haddock-Eppich's ceiling given this is her third year starting. Yes, she didn't have a great match. She really seemed to struggle back-setting the slide to Gneiting. The only good sets on the slide I can remember were really more like side-sets. I think she'll be a solid workman like setter going forward, but I also think that's her ceiling (although she's very good at non-setter things for a setter).
    Last edited by pelagius; 08-20-2018, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
      It was pretty ugly match but I'm not going to infer much from it. To me BYU can make the final four if the following happens:

1. BYU gets good (doesn't need to be great) production on the right side. Maybe (as Green Monstah hints) Madi Robinson can do it. She jumps really well. Robinson is a bit undersized so it would be nice if Ballard gets healthy enough to give Olmstead flexibility based on the matchup.

Not sure anything else needs to happen. Sure, improved setting would help but I think we know Haddock-Eppich's ceiling given this is her third year starting. Yes, she didn't have a great match. She really seemed to struggle back-setting the slide to Gneiting. The only good sets on the slide I can remember were really more like side-sets. I think she'll be a solid workman like setter going forward, but I also think that's her ceiling (although she's very good at non-setter things for a setter).
      What is Gneiting's ceiling? I've been excited to see her play since she signed.
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
        What is Gneiting's ceiling? I've been excited to see her play since she signed.
        Ceiling career <- best middle blocker in the country

Ceiling this year <- All WCC ... best middle WCC
        Last edited by pelagius; 08-22-2018, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
          Ceiling career <- best middle blocker in the country

Ceiling this year <- All WCC ... best middle WCC
          That's a reason to be excited.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I'm officially worried about Roni Jones-Perry. Something is not right. I'm not sure if it's an injury or just being out of shape, but a lot of her problems with control/location stem from the fact that she's not elevating enough to really put the ball down. It's something I see in club volleyball a lot with hitters who are not at 100%. RJP also didn't play the 2nd-4th sets on Saturday.

ON the other hand, I'm pretty stoked for Madi Robinson. I don't recall if she played in the Friday match vs. Duke, but she definitely showed up offensively and defensively on Saturday. She's a better hitter than Lacey Haddock (although Lacey's serving is outstanding...the Duke players could not pass her serves either day).

Haddock-Eppich had a great Friday match, but not so much on Saturday.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              I'm officially worried about Roni Jones-Perry. Something is not right. I'm not sure if it's an injury or just being out of shape, but a lot of her problems with control/location stem from the fact that she's not elevating enough to really put the ball down. It's something I see in club volleyball a lot with hitters who are not at 100%. RJP also didn't play the 2nd-4th sets on Saturday.

ON the other hand, I'm pretty stoked for Madi Robinson. I don't recall if she played in the Friday match vs. Duke, but she definitely showed up offensively and defensively on Saturday. She's a better hitter than Lacey Haddock (although Lacey's serving is outstanding...the Duke players could not pass her serves either day).

Haddock-Eppich had a great Friday match, but not so much on Saturday.
              Madi had the best topspin jumper in the state last year at LP. I look forward to her unleashing it as she get confident.

Comment

Team looked great last night, but I'm guessing West Virginia is probably in the ranking range of 100-150. At home, BYU should smoke teams in that range and they did. WVU was just a really poor passing team. Probably the best news was RJP looked like her old self (very explosive off the floor). Potentially a great match tonight so if you're in Utah County I suggest you make your way down to the SFH:

Comment

What an incredible match tonight! RJP was amazing, especially in sets 1,2 and 5. Huge down the stretch in the fifth. Unfortunately Miller was MIA for much of the match. Mary lake was unbelievable as usual. MB was solid for BYU.

Stanford is really good, but there isn’t a huge talent gap between the two teams and I’d take the lady cougars in close to five out of ten matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow!!! Great win.

So much for RJP being down. She was incredible.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

My 13YO went to this game with some friends and is deliriously happy. Reminds me of how I felt watching BYU games as a kid. She is converted and I am thrilled.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        My 13YO went to this game with some friends and is deliriously happy. Reminds me of how I felt watching BYU games as a kid. She is converted and I am thrilled.
                        It was a really great atmosphere. Loud the whole time, and almost deafening in the 5th.

Comment

Great to see them pull it out, as after they lost third and fourth set, I was worried.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            Wally must be so happy.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                              What an incredible match tonight! RJP was amazing, especially in sets 1,2 and 5. Huge down the stretch in the fifth. Unfortunately Miller was MIA for much of the match. Mary lake was unbelievable as usual. MB was solid for BYU.

Stanford is really good, but there isn’t a huge talent gap between the two teams and I’d take the lady cougars in close to five out of ten matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Miller was MIA? I missed that.

We struggled to get our middles involved and went through 3 different OPP.

I like the depth Heather is creating at the pin. We need Ballard or someone to step up and become an OPP so we aren’t using a 5’10” or 5’11” OPP against 6’5” OH. Regardless, our pin depth is better than last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X